Bangernomics - Post Your Cheap Daily Finds and Hacks

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
I've no qualms bleeding it when that stage finally comes. I just can't get access to the f*cking MC to get it off, and I've no garage, and it's rained every day since July and I've ran out of swear words for it.

It's 2003 - vagcom/vcds shouldn't even enter the conversation.

If the octavia is based on the mk4 golf platform like I think it is and has a mk60 abs system like I think it will it is very very likely you will introduce air into the abs module.

If it doesn't have that system then you're lucky.

If you get air into a mk60 abs module you will need vagcom (or at least something to run the abs pump while bleeding). Vagcom is better though as you can run the dedicated abs bleeding procedure.

Mk60 was in mk4 golfs from 2002 on, I've done brake work on loads of these and they are a royal pain in the hole when it comes to bleeding and quite a few times I've needed vagcom. Hopefully the skoda is a different design.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
If the octavia is based on the mk4 golf platform like I think it is and has a mk60 abs system like I think it will it is very very likely you will introduce air into the abs module.

If it doesn't have that system then you're lucky.

If you get air into a mk60 abs module you will need vagcom (or at least something to run the abs pump while bleeding). Vagcom is better though as you can run the dedicated abs bleeding procedure.

Mk60 was in mk4 golfs from 2002 on, I've done brake work on loads of these and they are a royal pain in the hole when it comes to bleeding and quite a few times I've needed vagcom. Hopefully the skoda is a different design.
Nope, absolutely the same. Pain on the hole.

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
That would be a massive help mate, thanks. Never had to do brakes before so never had the need to pick one up.

No worries at all, just drop me a message when you need it. I’ve got a wee hose clamp, brake pipe spanner and piston rewind tool if required also….defo take the spanner.

I got this boy, it’s a great job!
IMG_0185.jpeg

Jazzer

RMS Regular
Drives
honda jazz
My dad's trusty civic failed the MOT yesterday. 2 majors - fractured / holed rear axle and front left shock absorber leaking. apparently common problem with the FN2 the rear axles rotting.

So he's thinking of getting rid, just wondering if anyone on here is interested in taking it on.

2009 Honda Civic, 2.2 diesel, 95k miles give or take, black, owned from new (well pre-reg car with 10 miles on it when we picked it up), panoramic sunroof, car drives good, have had no issues with the car generally until now. PM me if you need any further details. open to offers. thanks

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Tidy up you think? Cheap with some rare options

Leon FR with heated seats and sun roof

PAULW

RMS Regular
My dad's trusty civic failed the MOT yesterday. 2 majors - fractured / holed rear axle and front left shock absorber leaking. apparently common problem with the FN2 the rear axles rotting.

So he's thinking of getting rid, just wondering if anyone on here is interested in taking it on.

2009 Honda Civic, 2.2 diesel, 95k miles give or take, black, owned from new (well pre-reg car with 10 miles on it when we picked it up), panoramic sunroof, car drives good, have had no issues with the car generally until now. PM me if you need any further details. open to offers. thanks
Common faults, new rear axle isn't big money Honda Civic Fk1/FK2/FK3/FN1/FN3/FN4 MK8 Rear Back Axle 05-11 (local company there) and neither is a shock, will go for years once fixed.

Überdub

RMS Regular
Drives
Saab VW French
Looking for a bangernomical solution for a banger with wheels that won't come off. 😬 My Mum thinks the mechanic lost the lock nut key.

Just wondering if any Ford fetishists or lock nut key collectors would have a key for this lying around before resorting to welding or hammering...

Factory fitted on a Mk. 5 Fiesta (2000-2002 shape) and they are as below. Seem to be symmetrical on two axes.
Screenshot_20240418-113537~2.png

Cookies

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Looking for a bangernomical solution for a banger with wheels that won't come off. 😬 My Mum thinks the mechanic lost the lock nut key.

Just wondering if any Ford fetishists or lock nut key collectors would have a key for this lying around before resorting to welding or hammering...

Factory fitted on a Mk. 5 Fiesta (2000-2002 shape) and they are as below. Seem to be symmetrical on two axes.
View attachment 431655
One of my sets is close to that. You're welcome to take it and hammer it on.
17134479490081798180974730210707.jpg
17134479687811375395826708000225.jpg

Überdub

RMS Regular
Drives
Saab VW French
First thing I ever do when I buy a new car is take the lock nuts off. Cause more problems than they solve
Lock nuts, radio codes, alarms with a separate (not handy to access) battery. Why? 🤷

No one wants to steal the wheels, even fewer people want a cassette or CD head unit... and you could leave the car itself unlocked due to general disinterest...

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Lock nuts, radio codes, alarms with a separate (not handy to access) battery. Why? 🤷

No one wants to steal the wheels, even fewer people want a cassette or CD head unit... and you could leave the car itself unlocked due to general disinterest...
I don’t lock my car and have only come back to an open glovebox once.

Smurf.

RMS Regular
Drives
The odd time
IMG_20240308_164447.jpg

2011 corsa 1.3 cdti 115k.mot to July but easily tested, £35 a year tax. Drives, stops as it should, to be fair it drives very well. Will need an injector washer at some point but she is cruising along 100%.goes on the smell of a rag... £850

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
2 09 clios will come with full test £1200 each
06 320i touring full mot £1250
2012 polo 3cyl diesel 145k £2k
07 Corsa 1.4 80k full mot £1250