BMW 135i N54

stuarty135

RMS Regular
Drives
E82_135i
Hi all, so a little over 7 weeks ago I picked up this little rocket ship. After talking to some friends about what I have in store for this (who are also on the forum) they said I need to get on here pronto and keep a sort of "build log". So here goes...

I picked the car up over in Scotland after what was about 2 years of searching, as there are next to none for sale over here. The slightly concerning thing was that the snow had just hit, so it was a rather sharpish learning curve of hopping out of a 1.6 Fiesta into something, that as i know now, will set the tc light off with so much as a flex of your big toe. The initial drive down to the boat was just unreal, the Germans certainly know how to build great cars!

Where you even on the boat if you didn't take a photo? 👇

Off the late boat home, and maybe a week later was already test fitting a friends 17" BBS rims to get a rough idea on specs. I could technically run 17's, although brake clearance is more a matter of millimeters on them 😲

The car was completely stock up until the start of last week, until I decided the front end need some changes. A quick nip onto MStyle's store and ordered a front bumper, the customer service from those guys was second to none and even told me to directly email them before placing another order (which I most certainly will be doing down the line at some point).

The bumper arrived and couldn't fault the quality, nor could I wait to get it on.

To me, it gives the car a far more aggressive look, and a bit more purposeful. So just to get it painted then, now this was such a fast turn around I actually had to re-read the message from the paint shop about 5 times. Dropped the car off after work at 5pm on the Wednesday evening, I then had a message at 1:30pm the next day of the bumper sitting on a stand in the drying booth. An hour on from that another photo came through and it was on the car with a message saying "Ready to collect at 5".

And that takes us up to now. The colour match is pretty much perfect and I couldn't be happier! And don't worry the plate won't be sitting in the window for too much longer, waiting on a bracket to arrive next week to properly mount it.

Currently atm, I am just planning on doing some aesthetic stuff first. Jumping from a 120bhp Fiesta to this at 300bhp is more than enough to keep me content for a considerable amount of time. Engine mods will be happening, as the engine is apparently good for 700 on a "safe" map and I can see why some people would dub the N54 as a modern 2JZ in terms of tunability. Can't wait to unlock the potential of this thing, but at the minute I've no need.

So I guess all that's left to say is thanks for reading over this and I will try my best to keep it updated. The build is a good few years long, but then again do they ever really finish?

- Stuart

JackMO

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf GTI
Hi all, so a little over 7 weeks ago I picked up this little rocket ship. After talking to some friends about what I have in store for this (who are also on the forum) they said I need to get on here pronto and keep a sort of "build log". So here goes...

I picked the car up over in Scotland after what was about 2 years of searching, as there are next to none for sale over here. The slightly concerning thing was that the snow had just hit, so it was a rather sharpish learning curve of hopping out of a 1.6 Fiesta into something, that as i know now, will set the tc light off with so much as a flex of your big toe. The initial drive down to the boat was just unreal, the Germans certainly know how to build great cars!

View attachment 229350

Where you even on the boat if you didn't take a photo? 👇

View attachment 229351

Off the late boat home, and maybe a week later was already test fitting a friends 17" BBS rims to get a rough idea on specs. I could technically run 17's, although brake clearance is more a matter of millimeters on them 😲

View attachment 229355 View attachment 229357

The car was completely stock up until the start of last week, until I decided the front end need some changes. A quick nip onto MStyle's store and ordered a front bumper, the customer service from those guys was second to none and even told me to directly email them before placing another order (which I most certainly will be doing down the line at some point).

The bumper arrived and couldn't fault the quality, nor could I wait to get it on.

View attachment 229362

To me, it gives the car a far more aggressive look, and a bit more purposeful. So just to get it painted then, now this was such a fast turn around I actually had to re-read the message from the paint shop about 5 times. Dropped the car off after work at 5pm on the Wednesday evening, I then had a message at 1:30pm the next day of the bumper sitting on a stand in the drying booth. An hour on from that another photo came through and it was on the car with a message saying "Ready to collect at 5".

View attachment 229363

And that takes us up to now. The colour match is pretty much perfect and I couldn't be happier! And don't worry the plate won't be sitting in the window for too much longer, waiting on a bracket to arrive next week to properly mount it.

Currently atm, I am just planning on doing some aesthetic stuff first. Jumping from a 120bhp Fiesta to this at 300bhp is more than enough to keep me content for a considerable amount of time. Engine mods will be happening, as the engine is apparently good for 700 on a "safe" map and I can see why some people would dub the N54 as a modern 2JZ in terms of tunability. Can't wait to unlock the potential of this thing, but at the minute I've no need.

So I guess all that's left to say is thanks for reading over this and I will try my best to keep it updated. The build is a good few years long, but then again do they ever really finish?

- Stuart

Welcome to RMS Stuart! Good to see you followed my advice and got a thread up here! I’m sure there’ll be plenty on here will be interested in it! Looking forward to following the build and seeing how this evolves! Keep us well updated! :cool:

stuarty135

RMS Regular
OP
stuarty135
Drives
E82_135i
Welcome to RMS Stuart! Good to see you followed my advice and got a thread up here! I’m sure there’ll be plenty on here will be interested in it! Looking forward to following the build and seeing how this evolves! Keep us well updated! :cool:
Thanks Jack! Had to happen eventually this!

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
That bumper is agressive as hell 😎 these are such an underrated car, the potential with them is huge and they are a great looking car too

stuarty135

RMS Regular
OP
stuarty135
Drives
E82_135i
That bumper is agressive as hell 😎 these are such an underrated car, the potential with them is huge and they are a great looking car too
The number of people that instantly think its a 118d is the best part about it i think. Once they see the brakes you can see them trying to piece it together lol

Big single...lovely motor....also check out mhd tuning, best for these👊

Will be happening at some point! Think once i delve in the engine mods the cooling will definitely be the first port of call just to support all the rest down the line.
I certainly will, thanks!

jessy

RMS Regular
The number of people that instantly think its a 118d is the best part about it i think. Once they see the brakes you can see them trying to piece it together lol

Will be happening at some point! Think once i delve in the engine mods the cooling will definitely be the first port of call just to support all the rest down the line.
I certainly will, thanks!
Cooling is by far the most important thing with these engines, they run hot. Chargepipe/intercooler/oil cooler.

stuarty135

RMS Regular
OP
stuarty135
Drives
E82_135i
a 300 hp engine is good for 700?
who built it - Paul Daniels?
Closer to 750 iirc, these make a 2jz look like they belong in a canal boat
why would they put in rods & pistons rated to 750 hp in a 300hp engine?
fair do's if they have 👍
The crankshaft and rods are already forged which is while handy. For some reason they didn't do that with the N55 when it went single turbo.

TalkToFrank

RMS Regular
Drives
335i MT Touring
Welcome and congrats on the car! Complete weapon, ready to be unlocked!

Is it auto or manual?

I've a e91 manual estate with MHD 2+ and the supporting mods and I must say it's a treat, in a 1 series it would be bags full of craic! If you're on Instagram, look up n54gang for they always have Vids etc of single turbo stuff.

Love the bumper! Looks like this will be a thread to subscribe to! 👍

stuarty135

RMS Regular
OP
stuarty135
Drives
E82_135i
Welcome and congrats on the car! Complete weapon, ready to be unlocked!

Is it auto or manual?

I've a e91 manual estate with MHD 2+ and the supporting mods and I must say it's a treat, in a 1 series it would be bags full of craic! If you're on Instagram, look up n54gang for they always have Vids etc of single turbo stuff.

Love the bumper! Looks like this will be a thread to subscribe to! 👍
Thanks Frank! It is indeed a manual, personal preference really.
Damn, I'm sure that surprises a few people out and about 🤣
Been following that page for the best part of a year now, some crazy builds out there with crazy power. Great to see what's possible

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Always liked these, bit of a sleeper even in standard from and I had no idea they could be tuned that easily! is it just bolt on mods needed for big power? what about the gearbox can it take the power without any work?

stuarty135

RMS Regular
OP
stuarty135
Drives
E82_135i
Very tidy! Such an over engineered engine! Looking forward to seeing how the build progresses. Welcome to RMS by the way :grinning:
Thanks mate!

Always liked these, bit of a sleeper even in standard from and I had no idea they could be tuned that easily! is it just bolt on mods needed for big power? what about the gearbox can it take the power without any work?
From what I've seen and read you can easily get 450 from a tune, breathers and better cooling. 500 is definitely doable but will need the twin's upgraded. Then after that your into the big turbo upgrades.
I haven't seen anyone saying they've had to replace the gearbox, but then again I'll need to do a bit more research to be completely sure about that.

Nigelo

RMS Regular
Such a tuneable car, and should be great as a project!

A lot of info comes from the US, so beware of typical BS.... you're more likely to get 400hp from intercooler, downpipes, intake and tune. The next step is meth injection ran from a JB4, that might take you close to the 450 mark.

After that..... upgraded twins or single big (I think you know the way to go.....) - not every where does a RHD compatible upgrade though.

Don't forget a differential!

stuarty135

RMS Regular
OP
stuarty135
Drives
E82_135i
Such a tuneable car, and should be great as a project!

A lot of info comes from the US, so beware of typical BS.... you're more likely to get 400hp from intercooler, downpipes, intake and tune. The next step is meth injection ran from a JB4, that might take you close to the 450 mark.

After that..... upgraded twins or single big (I think you know the way to go.....) - not every where does a RHD compatible upgrade though.

Don't forget a differential!
That makes a fair bit of sense actually, most likely due to the difference in fuels.
Quaife LSD from Birds will probably be the first port of call before the power gets upped too much.
I probably won't waste the time upgrading the twins 😈

TalkToFrank

RMS Regular
Drives
335i MT Touring
Instead of pricing up a quaife, there are internal lsd sets from eBay that need an engineer to install... They've had them in drift and track cars and seem to stand the abuse. I'm probably going to get one inserted at some point, but I don't plan on being over the 450 mark! 👍

stuarty135

RMS Regular
OP
stuarty135
Drives
E82_135i
So it's been a while and things are finally starting to take shape. Recently purchased a few carbon goodies for the car, first of many. Definitely have an addiction growing atm
:joy:

20190803_164208.jpg

20190803_163150.jpg

First on was the bootlid. Bit of a ducktail lip to it and extend off the back just a fraction. Was a bit iffy at first but its certainly growing on me. Once i get it lowered it should certainly help the look.

20190810_121827.jpg

20190810_121821.jpg

20190810_121835.jpg

Next up was a carbon roof spoiler. Can't believe how light this thing is! Even the boot was 18kg including the box! Not sure whether to spray the boot white and leave the edge in carbon, but once i get a bit more the look i'm going for should take shape.

Few extra bits getting done over the next week and hopefully ready for the Eoin Henry show in Ballymoney on the 25th.

Also flashed an MHD stage 1 tune onto the car, i think it's running 350bhp from what i've been told about this map. Car is very much alive now :laughing:

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Great engine and from having an e8x hatch in the household a few years back I know the chassis is great fun so a winner all round.

Subscribing with interest.

Instead of pricing up a quaife, there are internal lsd sets from eBay that need an engineer to install... They've had them in drift and track cars and seem to stand the abuse. I'm probably going to get one inserted at some point, but I don't plan on being over the 450 mark! 👍

Any links? Would love a proper diff for my 6 but not at 2k.