BMW F31 330d X-Drive M Sport+

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

NickR

RMS Regular
OP
NickR
Drives
A6/E39 530i
What are people's opinions on the badges...I don't mind the 330d but I think the xdrive one makes it look a bit cluttered at the back?

I just can't decide if I should remove one or both or just leave it as it is.

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
Love it! F31 in our work with pretty much exactly the same spec. I still love the Estoril in them I have to say.

I'd keep the badges to be honest. Its nice and new, I wouldn't start messing with it yet, but that's just me :grinning:

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
How do you find the 4WD Nick? I took the car out for a scalp on Saturday evening and I was pushing hard, no matter how hard even in Sport+ it only let the rear end to a certain degree. Otherwise was all grip, hard to believe it's a family estate at times !

NickR

RMS Regular
OP
NickR
Drives
A6/E39 530i
How do you find the 4WD Nick? I took the car out for a scalp on Saturday evening and I was pushing hard, no matter how hard even in Sport+ it only let the rear end to a certain degree. Otherwise was all grip, hard to believe it's a family estate at times !

I really like the AWD mate, but then my last few cars have all been AWD (Golf R32 and S3). Let's just say I had a proper scalp around wet twisty B roads last night because I wanted to try out the adaptive lights and high beam assist (these are unreal and work perfectly, it's strange seeing the high beam adjust itself in relation to other cars on the road). No matter how hard I pushed it the car just felt planted. I completely appreciate its a totally different type of drive to the RWD car but for me I like the reassurance it gives. Even when pulling out of junctions or going around a roundabout in the wet it just sticks to the road. I haven't really tried sport+ yet, sport and stick to the left is fun though :p

I know what you mean about the performance too, for such a big car it goes like sh1t of a shovel! Perfect all round package in my opinion. Hopefully picking up my dog box from DT boxes at the weekend/start of the week as recommended by @Amos , that will allow me to ferry the mutts about without leaving the car stinking lol.

How do you find the RWD to live with on a daily basis? Does it catch you out at all?

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
These (and the 335D equivalent) are IMO simply the best daily driving cars on the planet!!!

The way they go, handle, stop and fly is mind blowing for what is on paper a diesel estate car. As a good friend of mine (and owner of one) said, when he was a kid you needed a Lamborghini to do what these can do.

For a while there my entire life revolved around how I could afford to own one until i realised I couldn't. :worried:

Health to drive dude.

P.S I am told a huge improvement to the overall drivability to to put the same width tyres on the front and back, but I cannot confirm this myself. I do know he drives the testicles off his though.

NickR

RMS Regular
OP
NickR
Drives
A6/E39 530i
@PeteMoore i was shocked at how well these went when I test drove them, I knew they would be quick but didn't realise how quick. The engine along with the sport auto is the perfect combination.

I've never had a BMW before but I can see why people rave on about them at times, it just feels so solidly built. A few people have give me a bit of stick for going with the xdrive but I like how it handles.

A lot of people say to ditch the run flats to improve the ride and road noise (not that I find it too bad) but I will wait until they are worn, no point in wasting four new tyres! Even with the run flats and ACS springs it's still a lot more comfortable than the S3 was.

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
@PeteMoore i was shocked at how well these went when I test drove them, I knew they would be quick but didn't realise how quick. The engine along with the sport auto is the perfect combination.

I've never had a BMW before but I can see why people rave on about them at times, it just feels so solidly built. A few people have give me a bit of stick for going with the xdrive but I like how it handles.

A lot of people say to ditch the run flats to improve the ride and road noise (not that I find it too bad) but I will wait until they are worn, no point in wasting four new tyres! Even with the run flats and ACS springs it's still a lot more comfortable than the S3 was.

I have never liked BMW's aside from their looks. None of them really drive that nicely outside of proper M's, the manual boxes are horrendous, even the E92 (?) M3 was boring to drive, but these are a different kettle of fish altogether. I first got into one thinking it would just be another bloody BMW, oh how wrong I was.

The X-Drive makes it IMO. The only way I have heard that makes sense as to how it drives on full dance is that even when everything is going horribly wrong, it seems to have a sixth sense as to what is a safe escape route and ejects you in that direction. For me personally I loved how it drives like a rwd car, but much much more grip and the power to the front just reigns in the hooligan element.

As I said, I am totally head over heels in love with them.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
I'm loving the rwd Nick, no hairy moments whatsoever to date. Been driving fwd dailies (4wd for a few weekend warriors granted)for the last 10 years and I have to admit it's great, much better turn in when compared to say the A5 SB.

Feels very balanced in general. Really comes alive when everything is in sport mode, I went for the adaptive suspension too which is defo a big difference in rebound and "lean in" vs when it's in comfort.

NickR

RMS Regular
OP
NickR
Drives
A6/E39 530i
image.jpg
I did nearly 200 miles today with a mixture of A road/B road/motorway and Belfast City centre, I reset the trip computer before I left just out of curiosity. I was impressed by the average mpg shown by the car (I'm not bothered about mpg or I would of bought a smaller engine but it still impressed me considering I wasn't hanging about along with the combined driving).

NickR

RMS Regular
OP
NickR
Drives
A6/E39 530i
Cheers Graeme, and thanks for the good deal as usual on the Anachem stuff!

NickR

RMS Regular
OP
NickR
Drives
A6/E39 530i
Picked up the new dog box, made to my specification (one large compartment instead of two) with mats and bumper protector. I got it from Dog Transport Boxes in Portadown. Very happy with the size and fit, should keep the car clean when the mutts have been to the beach or forest lol.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437575423.816174.jpg

NickR

RMS Regular
OP
NickR
Drives
A6/E39 530i
WOW. That looks like some jeb!

I had just a dog guard and cover in the R32 and the hair and stuff still got everywhere plus they scratched all the plastics looking out the back window the nosey wee feckers so I thought I'd go this route this time. Handy lifted in and out too when it's not needed.

NickR

RMS Regular
OP
NickR
Drives
A6/E39 530i
I ordered an M Performance front splitter today seeing as I got a really good price, just have to keep an eye out for a rear diffuser now.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
I ordered an M Performance front splitter today seeing as I got a really good price, just have to keep an eye out for a rear diffuser now.

They do look very smart! How did you manage to get it at a good price mate?

NickR

RMS Regular
OP
NickR
Drives
A6/E39 530i
A fella on Bimmerpost has a friend in Germany and gets a few shipped over at a time through him, they're genuine and a few members on there have bought them with no complaints. I got it for £350 posted. He's going to look into getting me a diffuser as well.

I had considered getting the whole kit but the decals and roof spoiler aren't really my cup of tea so decided to just buy the bits I like.

If you're looking for the full kit, Cotswold BMW quoted me £1200 delivered.

NickR

RMS Regular
OP
NickR
Drives
A6/E39 530i
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439391132.557342.jpg

This arrived today....on the lookout for a new m performance genuine rear diffuser and possibly the sills then I'll get them all sprayed up.

I won't be bothering with the side decals as I don't particularly like them.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
FYI Nick, My yolk is in for its 1st service today. (15k in 6 months!)

2 of my wheels are starting to corrode around the centre cap area. Apparently they are very aware of it, something do to with the edge of the hole where the BMW centre cap slots in. Anywho, they are replacing both wheels and will continue to do so if any of the other 2 go aswell. Apparently the "new/replacement" wheels have a more rounded edge at the centre cap (which they say cant be seen...).

NickR

RMS Regular
OP
NickR
Drives
A6/E39 530i
FYI Nick, My yolk is in for its 1st service today. (15k in 6 months!)

2 of my wheels are starting to corrode around the centre cap area. Apparently they are very aware of it, something do to with the edge of the hole where the BMW centre cap slots in. Anywho, they are replacing both wheels and will continue to do so if any of the other 2 go aswell. Apparently the "new/replacement" wheels have a more rounded edge at the centre cap (which they say cant be seen...).

I must keep an eye on that, at least they are standing over the problem! On a different note, 15k in 6 months isn't bad going!

NickR

RMS Regular
OP
NickR
Drives
A6/E39 530i
Managed to get a M Performance rear diffuser which has only been on a car a couple of months and is unmarked for a bargain price (only been removed as the car is being traded in for a new BMW), it should be here at the start of the week.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.