Carport Build Thread

mattyc

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Thought I'd fire up a quick build thread on my car port progress. Basically I would have liked a garage but money didn't permit so a car port was the next best thing. I should say my Dad is Mr DIY so he's the main man behind all the dimensions, fixings etc.

At first we decided to run it half the length of the house which would cover 1 - 1 1/2 cars but then thought we may as well go the full length to get 2-3 cars in. Anyways enough waffle, more pictures...

1.jpg

2.jpg

Extended half the size again:

3.jpg

Full size:

5.jpg

Side view:

6.jpg

Few shots of it painted in prep for roofing, guttering, strip lights, power sockets etc.

7.jpg

8.jpg

That's it for now on the photo front. We laid the first two runs of roof sheeting yesterday which was a mega pain to cut without shattering. To give you an idea of size of the whole structure the lengths of corrugated plastic running across the width are 12 feet. Looking forward to getting the 200 tucked in under there.

You can see the fence panels we took of sitting in front of the shed...these will be inserted back in as flush to the new posts as possible. Will try and get a shed build thred up in the next day or 2 as well.

Any queries just ask (y)

mattyc

RMS Regular
OP
mattyc
Drives
M3
We were thinking about that yesterday Cro. Need to do a bit of research into it so as not to turn it into a monstrosity. Ties in well with the shed, fence and eves of the house at the minute.

Bono872

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi

forde

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra SRi
i have one like that gated off at one end, my shed is right up to the other end so its fully closed off, one side is against the wall, and part of the other side where the pillars are has fence sheets going between the pillars so its super sheltered, its mega tbh

bentspoon

RMS Regular
Drives
Boxster & Celica
If you dont want to gate it off you can always go for a Parking Post/barrier or two theres loads to choose from, some are very weak though so pick a good one

Autopa_Ltd_Stealth_hinged_parking_posts_4.jpg

mattyc

RMS Regular
OP
mattyc
Drives
M3
Wouldn't need planning permission for that (y)

There's a lot of silly stipulations, but that doesn't look to breach any of them.

Yea should be grand. Power won't be coming from the house but from the breaker box in the shed so should have all bases covered.

Next update will hopefully be at the weekend with roofing progress.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Next update will hopefully be at the weekend with roofing progress.

I just hope the bedrooms are at the far end of the house, or you'll be getting no sleep on a rainy night with that pitch. A very shallow pitched roof always creates noise, and it's for that reason that we pulled down a £25k car port at the side of a house on the Malone Road and replaced it with a garage; the noise was atrocious.

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
Drives
Hundeye
You could use something like Coroline roofing on that. Its made of bitumen and fibres, much less noise impact from rain and much more attractive a finish. That Pitch is very very minimal indeed but the space is awesome. The coroline roofing doesnt condense a lot of water on the underside either. I used it to build our stable block and its the ticket !

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
You could use something like Coroline roofing on that. Its made of bitumen and fibres, much less noise impact from rain and much more attractive a finish.!

What sort of money was on that Paul? I'm looking to build a pair of 12x10 timber stables with a feed room on the side, so around 8x10 for it so the woman can bring her mare home and put her into foal and I was just going to use some sort of corrugated roofing like the below:

images

Something quieter and more suiting to a timber stable block would be better though, but I don't want to use mineral felt as it sweats and gets brittle, meaning it can tear easily..

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
Drives
Hundeye
Nicky its awesome gear, you but it as a kit, so 3m lengths of sheeting, special nails and the ridge then literally nail it on together, 3 years its been on our stables, 2 of the worst winters on record and serious storms and I have had to replace 1 nail. Think it worked out a £7 a sheet B&Q = £10 a sheet.

Ill try and find a pic but its ideal for horses. If thats tin above make sure it is lined or condensation will be your enemy

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Yeah, if I go that route it will be lined tin, and I'll be using self-drilling Tek fixings with washer to hold it down...

imagegen.ashx

I put a new roof on a 160x40ft horse-shoe barn last year and have boxes of those fixings left. There is a lot of spare tin from that job, but its pre-rolled for the radius of the roof, so no use to me for this wee job unfortunately.

I'll look into that Caroline Roofing though, cheers. Have you the roof sheeted with ply in the stables, or is the sheeting just screwed down to a frame like Matty's car port? I suppose it would be better with no sheeting to allow for a bit of ventilation. Also, this will just be a very shallow pitched roof, so no ridge to worry about a ridge.

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
Drives
Hundeye
Yeah just the sheeting Nicky no need for a ply roof within. Ply lined the internal walls with 18mm ply to about 4 ft to act as kick boards. I have recently installed CCTV to watch a stable for someone and have another one to do to watch a foaling box so that the Mare is disturbed as little as humanly possible, Its a good piece of kit indeed.

M@tt B

RMS Regular
Drives
200sx S14
Looks well done, wish I could have a garage at the house in belfast :worried: and the one at home my dads built work benches in so very limted room (n)

mattyc

RMS Regular
OP
mattyc
Drives
M3
looking good chum,,considering this myself tho do you plan on sealing it from wind?

Not sure I follow? You talking about the roof sheets? They are screwed down with special fittings which have a sort of hat attached to keep it waterproof. Was windy enough last night and there was little to no noise from it (y)