Carport Build Thread

Ceebl

RMS Regular
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
I have to say this thread is a good one! It's inspired me cuz wen I finish my apprenticeship and move out I wud b lucky to afford a house with a garage like I really want at first so im really liking this project!
Well done looks brilliant so far!

Bryan

RMS Regular
Where did you get the perspex from? I need about 7-8 sheets of it and the cheapest I've found so far is £18 a sheet of 12 foot length.

mattyc

RMS Regular
OP
mattyc
Drives
M3
Can't remember the name of the firm off the top of my head but will find out for you (y)

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
Looks great mate, we had that plastic stuff on the car port at my last house, did crack quite easily though.

That the zeds new bed? lol

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
@mattyc How are you finding the carport buddy?

Are there any changes you'd make? I'm looking to DIY one of these this year. The timber you used, was it pressure treated? Did you lead flash the join between the carport and the house?

Not that it bothers me, but what is it like for noise?

mattyc

RMS Regular
OP
mattyc
Drives
M3
@mattyc How are you finding the carport buddy?

Are there any changes you'd make? I'm looking to DIY one of these this year. The timber you used, was it pressure treated? Did you lead flash the join between the carport and the house?

Car port is a super job. The only upgrades I'll be making is strip lights down the middle and some outdoor power sockets. Noise wise I genuinely don't hear it at all, even in the high winds in Mallusk :grinning:

Timber is treated I'm sure but no idea to what extent. Bought the posts and fixtures from Eglantine timber if it's any use to you.

Funny I was curios about the lead flashing too. It does look like it was done.

Lead flashing - nope it's plastic flashing specifically for this type of job. Easy to bend into shape and screw down.

Will get an update through with any new bits and bobs we add to it.

Reactions: dub

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
The extent of my DIY skills I ain't heard of plastic flashing lol.

corsacj

RMS Regular
That looks a great job mate, the stain really blends it in nice. Couldnt see neighbours having problems with one that looks as decent as that unless they were complete w*nkers lol

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
That does look pretty sweet so far! Keep the pics coming! Alternative to the corrugated gear would be BM Marlon ST polycarbonate sheeting which comes in a range of specs- including UV protection. We stock and cut to size

http://www.brettmartin.com/en-gb/plastic-sheets/products/polycarbonate/multiwall-polycarbonate.aspx

We've been talking of doing something similar down side of our house so thats food for thought. Good luck with the rest

Forever coming back to this thread, I just need to get the finger out and get this started.

About this roofing, how much is it say per foot?

Is it affixed from behind, through the joist or from the top with longer screws?

Finally, the ends, can you cap them off to reduce water and crap getting up them?

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
The timber you used, was it pressure treated? Did you lead flash the join between the carport and the house?

Pretty sure mine is lead flushed, pipes and whatnot to work around as well. At least it looks like lead flushing, but for all I know it could be something more modern that just looks the same :grinning:

No noise at all. In fact, very quiet in there, regardless of weather. Even hard rain is not bad at all. Really nice place to unload or work when the weather is bad.

Clear roof sheets are great too, let in loads of light. I was going to go for black first to fit in with the general colour scheme, but so glad I got talked out of that!

Last edited:

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
Carport maestros, here's the side profile of our house where the carport is going.

sideprofile.jpg

My question is, all the piping, how do you affix the backing plate to the masonry? I'm not sure I can get the timber behind the pipework you see. So I'd need to cut the backing plate up? Also, the small part at the back, I'd like to run to carport as far back as I can as there is a driveway gate at the end, any suggestions?

Broomy

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk5 GTi
Thinking of doing something similar once the wedding is over & done with. May just concrete a section of the garden & build it there to save fixing to masonry. The gap between our house & the neighbours can be a wind tunnel sometimes :worried:

Last edited:

brendy

RMS Regular
Going to be doing something with the side of my house also, pain is that it is on a decline so will be awkward to sort a floor. On the plus side, I already have uprights in the ground opposite the house when we put the fence up, had the foresight to use 16ft timbers.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Carport maestros, here's the side profile of our house where the carport is going.

My question is, all the piping, how do you affix the backing plate to the masonry? I'm not sure I can get the timber behind the pipework you see. So I'd need to cut the backing plate up? Also, the small part at the back, I'd like to run to carport as far back as I can as there is a driveway gate at the end, any suggestions?

Looks exactly the same as mine, sewage and drainage pipes and whatnot going down the wall, a staircase window just like yours, and then the kitchen door as well.

We put the roof above the kitchen door, and below the staircase window, sloping down away from the house. They built the frame to fit around the pipes, cut out the plastic roof sheeting to fit around as well, and then used flushing to get the whole thing watertight around the pipes, etc. Works fantastically well, not a drop of water gets in anywhere.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
By the way, I got my sewage pipe replaced as well while they were at it. Looked ok from below, but it was as old as the house, and was rotten at the slipjoints higher up.