Carport Build Thread

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
Kids, is there much difference between a timber frame and an equal frame in aluminium? I'm thinking about durability, will a timber framed carport need much maintenance?

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Mine has steel upright supports, set in concrete, and then a wooden frame for the roof on top. The wood is the usual pressure treated outdoor stuff that lasts forever. I did stain mine though, same way as fences, etc., to fit in with the rest of the house and garden. Maintenance would be the same, just re-stain every couple of years or so.

Last edited:
Reactions: dub

Bryan

RMS Regular
I finally got my act together and started my car port today. It's very high but it needs to be so that I can get the camper under it. Unfortunately the Transit is immobile at the minute (most of the rear chassis is missing) so I had to build around it but it did come in handy for getting the timber above it. To make it even harder the fence line runs off at an angle from the house so all of the rafters had to be marked and cut in the air.

Attachments

• Carport.jpg
    Carport.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 509

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Kids, is there much difference between a timber frame and an equal frame in aluminium? I'm thinking about durability, will a timber framed carport need much maintenance?

My folks old carport was treated timber and never had an issue was never re stained or anything

They knocked it down to replace it with garage and put another carport out the back of it nicely finished in pvc same as house hope to do something similar at some stage

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Mine has steel uprights along the long side, with wood planking (basically fence stuff) to make up the "wall".

The timber in that wall is mounted with wee gaps, to allow a bit of ventilation and relieve any pressure build-up in strong winds, etc.

Wood supports for the front end/face. Roof sits on wood beams.

All supports sit on concrete plinths, set into the ground.

Not the faintest idea why one would choose one or the other, that is what builders are for :p :innocent:

Bryan

RMS Regular
Got the rest of the frame completed today and the first coat of stain applied. You can sort of see how much of an angle the fence runs off at which complicated the whole thing.

Attachments

• Carport2.jpg
    Carport2.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 394

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
What size of timber did you make the frame out of Bryan?

Keep in mind how much weight could lie on that with a good fall of snow. An area that size could see a few ton weight for a long enough period of time.

Bryan

RMS Regular
What size of timber did you make the frame out of Bryan?

Keep in mind how much weight could lie on that with a good fall of snow. An area that size could see a few ton weight for a long enough period of time.

Main rails are 6x2 and then the beams between are 4x2. That's the challenge - to make it as light as possible but keep the strength.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Main rails are 6x2 and then the beams between are 4x2. That's the challenge - to make it as light as possible but keep the strength.
I doesn't look like those sizes , i thought it looked a bit flimsy myself but if it's 6x2 & 4x2 it should be fine.

Oh by the way , make sure that floodlight is accessible before you finish , not sure how you'd change a bulb when the roof covering goes on.

Bryan

RMS Regular
I doesn't look like those sizes , i thought it looked a bit flimsy myself but if it's 6x2 & 4x2 it should be fine.

Oh by the way , make sure that floodlight is accessible before you finish , not sure how you'd change a bulb when the roof covering goes on.

Just realised that earlier :oops:

I'll have to make some way to get the ladder up to it somehow. Might just make that section of the plastic easily unscrewable. I don't know how effective it will be up there when the roof goes on though.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
@svensktoppen that looks a fantastic job.

Probably as it was done by good tradesmen (they all look 70+ lol).

Those two do everything around my house :grinning: They work by eye, rulers, and spirit levels, lol, and know people for all the other trades. They also know I am a fussy wee ****, and sort out all the wee details and finishing just so. Brilliant (y)

I always say when it comes to a mechanic, and a builder, you need to know them personally. Where they live. And know their children, and which school they go to, lol. And then never argue about price :grinning:

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Just realised that earlier :oops:

I'll have to make some way to get the ladder up to it somehow. Might just make that section of the plastic easily unscrewable. I don't know how effective it will be up there when the roof goes on though.
I'm an electrician and always wonder "how the fukc am i going to get up there ! "

Sure either move it down below the roof or to the side before you put the roof.

Debaser

RMS Regular
Drives
Kuga ST-Line X
Good job

But can you tidy up that ditch on the other side of the fence;) Wile throughother lookin!

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
Folks I'm arranging something in between a carport & a garage. Using the same chap that @svensktoppen used for his. He's been out a few times but we're at loggerheads over the roof. He's suggested using the usual corrugated plastic, I'm looking something more substantial. I tried to get in touch with @g4ost regarding his wooden garage, but to no avail. Would some OSB and tiling it be OTT?

Ev206

RMS Regular
Folks I'm arranging something in between a carport & a garage. Using the same chap that @svensktoppen used for his. He's been out a few times but we're at loggerheads over the roof. He's suggested using the usual corrugated plastic, I'm looking something more substantial. I tried to get in touch with @g4ost regarding his wooden garage, but to no avail. Would some OSB and tiling it be OTT?
What about corrugated metal that looks like tile? I used it for the shed I built and think it looks well without the hassle of actually tiling it

Attachments

• 1465737128146-1071394250.jpg
    1465737128146-1071394250.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 312

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
What about corrugated metal that looks like tile? I used it for the shed I built and think it looks well without the hassle of actually tiling it

could that be attached to some OSB underneath okay? Whereabouts did you get that? Looks well.

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
could that be attached to some OSB underneath okay? Whereabouts did you get that? Looks well.
There's a place in coalisland that does it
Was going to put it on the extension to my garage but opted for the normal stuff
Got mine from selform in Maghera

For the roof of a carport I'd suggest the sheeting from Compo plastics,great stuff and strong,mine has been in a few years now with no issues

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
Wee pic of mine,made it myself,all steel and galvanised
and the multi wall polycarbonate on the roof from Compo plastics,can't mind exactly but think it's 16' long (going to extend it to fit two cars)
Hands down the best thing I've done around the house,worth ever penny
Think including lights etc it cost me little over £1000
image.jpeg

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
Seen a few mention also about the guttering in the neighbours end,I didn't want this either so stepped the guttering down and back 6" so everything is in my property,much better imo and although I have good neighbours in the future you never know
Better to keep it all in your own end imo

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
He's suggested using the usual corrugated plastic

That is what I have on mine. I was like you, wanted something fancier, but he suggested the clear plastic and I went with that. Not had any problems at all, it looks good, and most importantly it lets in a lot of light instead of creating a dark cavern.

Was a good call (y)