Daily diesel advice bmw e46

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Steve750

RMS Regular
Drives
750i
**Calling all e46 owners**
Im looking out for a diesel daily driver
I will be travelling about 60 mile 5 days a week, on the motorway just for 1 year
So i need something reliable and trouble free
Im thinking of an e46 320d as my friend is a parts guy in bmw, which means alot
Budget is between 1000-2000 i guess, most 320ds fall into this catoragy
Im wondering what is there to look out for with these cars? especially high milers like 150k!
Turbos and injectors?
Is this a wise choice?
Saloons seem to be at the lower end of the budget and coupes are around 2-2.5k
Coupes are nice but I'm looking for reliability more than anything
Planning on looking at one tomorrow
Thanks
Pic for attention lol
Sorry that this sounds like a jon44 advert :laughing:
6363710255_ab68613e9a_b.jpg

chapletown

RMS Regular
Drives
G20 M340i X
I have owned mine now for 8 years and in that time had no major issues, mine had 130k on it when i bought it and now has 220k. Only major things I have done with mine was clutch and flywheel around 150k and its been through a couple of sets of front arms (pretty common). For the money they can be got for now they are an excellent motor. Main issues with them these days is rust, most of them will be scabby round the arches.

IMG_0264.jpg

Steve750

RMS Regular
OP
Steve750
Drives
750i
Thanks for the replies guys
tourings are nice
@j44nty had one on 32s, looked class
The one im looking at is 158k i think with rusty arches
@chapletown did the turbo give any trouble or injectors?

JH86

RMS Regular
Best car for your job is a b6 a4 130 or a b5.5 passat 130 when it comes to being a useable appliance

E46s are great cars but there small inside heavy steering useless in winter, few silly we issues

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
Iv a saloon at home getting new turbo..silver 04 can’t mind mileage but do know it’s clean, virtually no rust from memory and Iv two diesel parts cars also with coilovers etc so could make up a real nice one.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
You will get a 330d for the same money maybe cheaper as all the younger fellas go for the 320 for insurance reasons.
What sort of mpg do the 320d get as my 330d was getting averaging about 47-49mpg?
Might not be much difference in the 2.

Steve750

RMS Regular
OP
Steve750
Drives
750i
@southsky sunrise Thanks but i want something that doesnt need much work lol
But what puts me off 330ds is the insurance. Im 21 with 6 points

colin84

RMS Regular
Most e46 320d's will be half done for that money, and one with rust is not always a simple fix. The one southsky sunrise has mentioned would be a good car.

Another car I would look at would be an 06/07 Accord CDTI. Good build quality and great standard spec on the sport & executive models, and IMO more comfortable than an e46.

Steve750

RMS Regular
OP
Steve750
Drives
750i
@colin84 I fear that I'll buy one thats half done. Thats why i was asking what to look out for
But surely rust is only found in arches which isnt mot threatening? and can be easily fixed?
My cousin bought an accord like your talking about which needed a clutch 1 month later. That doesnt put me off but its recent thirst for coolant does. Nice inside
That 330d is very tempting
I really want a coupe but for the price difference i cant justify it

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Mine rusted in around the jack point as well underneath the skirt so worth looking there as well. That would be an mot fail.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.