Daily diesel advice bmw e46

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

trev 1515

RMS Regular
Drives
E39 M5 Evo ix
I would definitely lpg the 5 or the 7. You aren’t doing crazy miles and both are far better cars than a 320d.

Steve750

RMS Regular
OP
Steve750
Drives
750i
@surprising_skoda thanks i might call in and take u up on your offer!
Im getting distracted with estoril blue if im honest and its the main selling point for me atm
@trev 1515 i couldn't lpg the 5 or 7, i think too much off them. They are investments to me. I know they're crap investments but you have to start somehwere.
Lpg and adding 15k miles would destroy their resale value

colin84

RMS Regular
@surprising_skoda thanks i might call in and take u up on your offer!
Im getting distracted with estoril blue if im honest and its the main selling point for me atm
@trev 1515 i couldn't lpg the 5 or 7, i think too much off them. They are investments to me. I know they're crap investments but you have to start somehwere.
Lpg and adding 15k miles would destroy their resale value

I rushed in to buying an Estroil blue 330d years ago, it turned out to be probably the worst car I've owned. Don't be blinded by a nice colour lol.

simy

RMS Regular
I've seen some very rusty ones as of late,

I've a rust free 2005 320d auto touring in grey 9/10 condition posted above I'm tempted for an e34 so I'd probs sell £2000

Can you PM me details on this please.

Steve750

RMS Regular
OP
Steve750
Drives
750i
So i went to see one the night
estoril blue
Car has been re mapped and pulls very well
rear arch is rusty and so are the front 2 (which arnt original)
boot lid is rusty
underneath isnt too bad
Cosmetically its rough with a cracked bumper and many stone chips
mechanically, it pulls to the left like a pig, needs front anti roll bar bushings and arm bushings?
Needs a 4 wheel alignment as someone replaced the coil overs and never got it aligned
Also needs a thermostat and the fly wheel rattles at idle
So yeh pretty dissapointed to say the least
Turbo is fine, box is fine and its not smoking
Also another major put off is the cat has been removed
Im thinking buy it since its local, get it fixed up over the next couple of weeks and then i will know what i have?
Or look for another one?
Hes looking 1k would prob take 900
Colour is amazing in person but the body is rough. The type 2 schnitzers look well on it too

Steve750

RMS Regular
OP
Steve750
Drives
750i
Screenshot_20180903-193841_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20180903-193827_Facebook.jpg

JH86

RMS Regular
It's a 1k e46 sport at the end of the day, even tho there oul now good ones are still big money,

I can put you on to a great facelift black/alcantara coupe but it's £2400

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole no doubt its been hooped within an inch of its life so John Boy can impress his sister.

They arn’t rare cars. Get one that hasn’t been owned by a muck savage

BLS

RMS Regular
Drives
bmw
So i went to see one the night
estoril blue
Car has been re mapped and pulls very well
rear arch is rusty and so are the front 2 (which arnt original)
boot lid is rusty
underneath isnt too bad
Cosmetically its rough with a cracked bumper and many stone chips
mechanically, it pulls to the left like a pig, needs front anti roll bar bushings and arm bushings?
Needs a 4 wheel alignment as someone replaced the coil overs and never got it aligned
Also needs a thermostat and the fly wheel rattles at idle
So yeh pretty dissapointed to say the least
Turbo is fine, box is fine and its not smoking
Also another major put off is the cat has been removed
Im thinking buy it since its local, get it fixed up over the next couple of weeks and then i will know what i have?
Or look for another one?
Hes looking 1k would prob take 900
Colour is amazing in person but the body is rough. The type 2 schnitzers look well on it too
Walk away ...run away ...far better e46s out there than that.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
They’re a £400 stager with a years test. £900 for that is hilarious.

An E39 530D SE would be 10x the car for daily duties and no doubt less money to buy and insure. Mine had 200k miles or so and was a fantastic big bus.

Steve750

RMS Regular
OP
Steve750
Drives
750i
Thanks for the reply guys
Some where pretty funny lol
But the selling point for me would be the schnitzers and the colour but that's it
Going to keep looking for around 1500. I've broadened my search to e90s!

BLS

RMS Regular
Drives
bmw
They’re a £400 stager with a years test. £900 for that is hilarious.

An E39 530D SE would be 10x the car for daily duties and no doubt less money to buy and insure. Mine had 200k miles or so and was a fantastic big bus.
2nd that i bought 530d se the other day of a fellow member for a great price great going big car and comfortable full electrics front n rear parking sensors leather interior etc high miles but you wouldnt know it the way it pulls lovely cruising thing.

Steve750

RMS Regular
OP
Steve750
Drives
750i
E39s are class, I've only driven e39s and an e38. But insurance is a big issue with 530ds

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Have you priced a 530D SE against a 320D M Sport?

When I was 19, it was a lot cheaper to insure my A4 1.9tdi 130bhp than to insure a 90bhp A3 3 door. Bigger, safer, less “sporty” car made the premium a lot less, or so I was told at the time, not that I would have bought an A3.

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
That estoril one is nearby and keeps cropping up - it's a fine looking car for the £1100 it was advertised at - last Estoril 320d I sold was £2400 albeit without all those issues. They do hold value fairly well though and that is probably because they are a good car when you get one without any issues.
It could be worth getting one at a grand and throwing a grand into it, if you wanted. But you could also just buy one at £2k not needing stuff fixed - it's not like there is a shortage of them.

The problem with them as mentioned is that young cubs can insure them. Good in one way, bad if you want to buy one. I've not seen a nice one in our part of the world to be fair. Bad roads and cheap coilovers...

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.