Dashcams and Dashcam Footage

Daniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
Nevermind silly think bike adverts etc and many should be for the biker to think too.

Maybe a video like this should be used. Some nasty looking accidents.

Never mind those crappy "think bike" adverts here, they should show the 1st part of this video and watch those rag dolls fly!

After the 1st part it got a bit You've Been Framed'ish. Some were funny lol

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Never mind those crappy "think bike" adverts here, they should show the 1st part of this video and watch those rag dolls fly!

After the 1st part it got a bit You've Been Framed'ish. Some were funny lol

Agree 100%

The adverts on tv are comical at best, or just plain idiotic for the most part.

Using real footage like some of those should at least give some people a reality check.

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
It also does look like you've sped up to try and prevent him from overtaking ?

As mentioned, I had slowed and was a (probably more than) safe distance from the cars in front and a car maybe 4 in front had pulled into the road on the left. He was weaving behind me at that stage.

I certainly was speeding up as when I was driving slower to allow the cars to move along, but let's be honest...l I've just shy of 300bhp in my sport, and if I had've wanted to hold him out I could have easily.

I also had my wife and 3 year old daughter in my car on the way to disney on ice, and didn't particularily want to be involved in an accident because of a plank who was on a mission.

Whats the craic with the break checking? Did you flash at him then he dropped the anchors or why would he do that? It doesn't look like it was because he was approaching the car in front with too much speed.

The brake checking was him being a smart hole. I didn't flash my lights.... Felt like getting out and having a polite word but that'd be road rage.....he literally drove like a knob and continued to do so

It is strange that it actually locked some wheels...dont most cars have ABS these days ?

Maybe a touch of the wand too?

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I doubt @Big Pimp would deliberately stop someone overtaking, certainly never looked like that in the video.

Come across people every now and then who do try to prevent a clean overtake, for whatever unfathomable reason. You all know the type - driving slowly, until you get to clear stretch when they put the foot down just as you go for the overtake. And then they slow down again, lol. Who knows what goes through some people's minds at times.

Deliberately preventing an overtake, leaving people hung out on the wrong side of the road, is possibly even more dangerous than the bad overtakes above...

And then you get the eedjits who think they will have a "race", or whatever, lol.

The world is full of lunatics, all of us do stupid things from time to time, no point getting worked up over it :grinning:

big cyril

RMS Regular
I doubt @Big Pimp Come across people every now and then who do try to prevent a clean overtake, for whatever unfathomable reason. You all know the type - driving slowly, until you get to clear stretch when they put the foot down just as you go for the overtake. And then they slow down again, lol. Who knows what goes through some people's minds at times.

I'd say at least half of 'slow' drivers do this ie 35-40 round the corners then up to 60 on the longer straights which makes it hard to pass.

(I'm not talking about Big Pimps's video here btw).

Some just see a straight bit of road and think might as well speed up but I reckon a significant proportion view the road in at least a degree of competitiveness and genuinely don't want another car to get past ie are speeding up deliberately. It's similar to why filter in turn when two lanes merge doesn't work in NI, too many drivers see the whole thing as a competition and don't want anyone 'getting ahead'. Probably more of a male than female problem but certainly not just 'boy racers', some of the worst offenders for speeding up when someone is trying to pass are middle aged and older males.

There are two things which are helpful in dealing with the slow driver who speeds up on the straight:

(1) Give no indication that you are thinking of passing ie hold well back until near the straight.

(2) Have at least twice the bhp so that it doesn't matter if they speed up or not:laughing:

Ant

RMS Regular
:laughing: had that yesterday on the way home, some middleaged lad in a 1.6 mondeo at the lights on the mallusk road coming from sandyknowes, me in the right turn only lane, him in the other one, kept looking over, edging forward etc then turned right as well and was desperate to try cut me off before I could merge in.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
It's similar to why filter in turn when two lanes merge doesn't work in NI, too many drivers see the whole thing as a competition and don't want anyone 'getting ahead'. Probably more of a male than female problem

Just love that, lol, so unbelievably ignorant. Same reason why you get a 50-mile queue in the outside lane on the motorway, and the inside lane empty :grinning: Or when you get someone sitting on their own in the outside lane at 65mph, refusing to move, and then speed up when you move to undertake, lol :p

And definitely not more of a male thing!

Sometimes I just despair about the human race, lol...

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Funnily enough, everyone smiles and waves and moves over when in the Hondus :grinning:

In the Audi, none of that EVER happens, lol :innocent:

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I'd say at least half of 'slow' drivers do this ie 35-40 round the corners then up to 60 on the longer straights which makes it hard to pass.

(I'm not talking about Big Pimps's video here btw).

Some just see a straight bit of road and think might as well speed up but I reckon a significant proportion view the road in at least a degree of competitiveness and genuinely don't want another car to get past ie are speeding up deliberately. It's similar to why filter in turn when two lanes merge doesn't work in NI, too many drivers see the whole thing as a competition and don't want anyone 'getting ahead'. Probably more of a male than female problem but certainly not just 'boy racers', some of the worst offenders for speeding up when someone is trying to pass are middle aged and older males.

There are two things which are helpful in dealing with the slow driver who speeds up on the straight:

(1) Give no indication that you are thinking of passing ie hold well back until near the straight.

(2) Have at least twice the bhp so that it doesn't matter if they speed up or not:laughing:

Ha, too true. Then BAM!

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
No, some guy from Armagh called Wayne someone or other took offence that I was driving at 31mph and sped to to 58..... Despite the fact that I tried to explain that cars in front had slowed down and I had slowed down as I was watching more than one car ahead, and started to speed up to close the gap, and also the fact I have almost triple the bhp of the i30 and had I have wanted to hold him out I could have easily....

Plus I had a couple of friends commenting along with a few others who were basically telling him to wind his neck in

The mods had enough and removed it.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
If it was brake failure, you could nearly consider manslaughter charges depending on how the maintenance of the truck was.

But for the driver, hard to say. There's maybe more to it than simple brake failure.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Now I'll admit I don't know much about lorry braking systems bit was always under the impression that the trailer brakes were air brakes and that the air pressure was used to hold them off so of that system failed then they jammed on. And that tractor unit had a separate braking system.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Now I'll admit I don't know much about lorry braking systems bit was always under the impression that the trailer brakes were air brakes and that the air pressure was used to hold them off so of that system failed then they jammed on. And that tractor unit had a separate braking system.

Pretty much correct. Although I'm sure there are still failure scenarios that could leave the vehicle with no brakes, or very poor brakes.

Maybe even as simple as the brake pedal..breaking lol

mcmurray

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Here's one I seen this morning online.

While the guy towing the caravan was clearly in the wrong for leaving it so late, surely the van/lorry driver should have dropped back and let him in? Instead he closed the gap and drove aggressively?