Dodgy dealer?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Darcy Dog

RMS Regular
Drives
Cooper S
azzymo you must have been on the phone all day and stopping Vauxhall from ringing me back because no one from the service dept wants to speak to me lol.

I phoned colin adams today and ask for prices for the parts vx quoted me for colin adams cant get me a cat or a turbo feed pipe.I should be able to get a second hand cat.

air con rad vx £435.90 colin adams £142+vat
front pads and discs vx £334.70 colin adams Discs £56.00+vat Pads From £22.00 to £38.50 +vat.

Its just wrong that vx can charge so much for their crappy parts the break anyway.

I have emailed Gmac who supplied my finance because Where goods are bought under a Hire Purchase agreement, the contract is governed by the Supply of Goods (Implied Terms) Act 1973. Your rights are against the credit provider rather than the trader who supplied the goods. The Act states that all goods supplied by a trader to a consumer must be of a satisfactory quality, fit for purpose made known and as described.

Its a long shot but im hoping they might try and speak to Vauxhall to sort the car out.Its due paid at the end off the week its going pi** me off paying for something i cant even drive.

If Gmac cant do anything i will just get the car towed to my cousins garage and get a second opinion and try and sort the car from there myself.

Best of Luck i hope you get your car sorted.

azzymo

RMS Regular
OP
azzymo
Drives
Bikes
Felt like it mate! Must've called them half a dozen times with no answer, yer man's not about, computers are down, he'll call you back etc..

Looks like today will be a similiar story. Regret is such a small word for a strong feeling! :sob:

azzymo

RMS Regular
OP
azzymo
Drives
Bikes
Got the call from Vauxhall...

RAC WON'T cover this. The warranty (which means nothing apparently) will not cover this problem as it's common apparently and is a general build up of soot etc.. now what?

Back to square one.. Now I intend to go back to the dealer now and ask him to fix this £1k+ problem, any suggestions as to how I should be going about this?

pablo

RMS Moderator
speak to the dealer first, there is a warranty implied by law afaik (3 months?). Trading standards can help I guess.

azzymo

RMS Regular
OP
azzymo
Drives
Bikes
speak to the dealer first, there is a warranty implied by law afaik (3 months?). Trading standards can help I guess.

This is what I'm now relying on but I'm sketchy on info about this. Anyone in this field know what I should and can expect by law? I'm will trawl around now to see what I can find under trading standards. My worry is, do dealers use these warranties to get around this legality?

pablo

RMS Moderator
if the RAC warranty doesnt cover it then the one provided by law is likely to be less complete (maybe just bare minimum). I dont know though.

Have vaux diagnosed the problem yet?

azzymo

RMS Regular
OP
azzymo
Drives
Bikes
if the RAC warranty doesnt cover it then the one provided by law is likely to be less complete (maybe just bare minimum). I dont know though.

Have vaux diagnosed the problem yet?

Yea mate, it's the Inlet Manifold needs replaced and will cost over £1k.

The car is not 'reasonably fit for any normal purpose' according to Sale of Goods Act and I see that under law I may be able to claim a full refund if a serious fault in detected under a 'reasonable' time of the sale and have stopped using the car. It's ironic that the example used in my printout here in a major engine fault with a newish car bought for a good few grand from a dealer! Helps with my enquiry at least!

dub1

RMS Regular
i had similar issues. got in contact with a department at the city council (forget the name) but its like trading standards. if he refuses to play ball you can get it fixed and get him to pay for it if you take him to the small claims court.

azzymo

RMS Regular
OP
azzymo
Drives
Bikes
Resolution

Just to update those who are interested and to put an end to my ramblings!

Alot has happened this week, especially Monday and Tuesday. Basically Vauxhall confirmed that the inlet manifold needed replaced and RAC Warranty refused to cover it as they said it was wear and tear, bearing in mind I've done about 500 miles in it. The dealer and RAC weren't budging with each other with my car sitting at Vauxhall with me unable to drive it. I had a quick chat with a good friend who I usually buy cars off and also with Citizens advice who, after me giving all the details, both advised to refuse the car, return it and ask for my money and old car back. To my surprise (and after a few hours waiting on a call back), the dealer agreed to my request and I now have my old car back and a cheque just put in the bank for the amount I paid for the Vauxhall. I'm delighted with the result and the running about like a headless chicken for a few days was worth it. The dealer tells me that he will be cancelling his warranty agreements with RAC and will not be dealing with these Vauxhalls anymore. Currently the dealer and Vauxhall are arguing over the current engine problem as the car sits in Mallusk.

I've learnt a few important lessons from this episode..

1. When your heart is set on a car, try and think it through with the head for a good while
2. Vauxhalls diesel engines ARE a pile of dung
3. Vauxhall are very expensive for labour & parts (£80 just to diagnose already diagnosed problem)
4. Sometimes if your old banger ain't giving you bother, keep it
5. RAC will wriggle out for paying if they can
6. God is faithful
7. My wife is always right.

Cheers guys for all your help, advice and perspective. It all did work out in the end.

(y)

BoutYa

RMS Regular
what a great result :grinning: well done.

I wonder what finally made the dealer give in, must have been something you said aftre talking to citizens advice and your usual guy you buy off?

you seem to have in my opinion went about this in the correct way and ended up ok in the end.

if you drink you'll be having one this weekend

azzymo

RMS Regular
OP
azzymo
Drives
Bikes
She knows already DI! I just get 'the look'! :scream:

When we picked up the cheque the dealer said that they didn't want it going down the legal route, not that I ever explicity threatened that, as they were a small dealer and if I had bought off a larger dealership, I would in no way have got my money back. The dealer must've known from the 1st day I dropped it in that the car wasn't 100% and tried to see if I'd sort it myself with RAC but when that went belly up I guess he had to by law accept the car back. I kept things as civil as possible and made it sure all round that I wasn't happy with the motor or the way that the running about was costing me and my wife time and money.

On my way to look at a Citroen...

johnm

RMS Regular
Glad that all worked out for the best.
Couldn't agree with your first point more. In saying that, 2 bikes & 4 cars have all been bought with the distinct lack of brain envolvment and i've been lucky this far.

r6kyl

RMS Regular
Drives
Tweed hat and sl
Result (y)
Always good hearing good stuff coming from dealers in the end.

_ZS_

Drives
Mondeo, i30, MF1
On my way to look at a Citroen...

As bad and all Vauxhall's diesels are, I'd have one of those before a PSA, especially the 1.6HDi. Getting the DPF fluid refilled every 35k isn't a cheap job.

Miserable engines - we've the 1.6TDCI 110hp Focus at work, wouldn't pull you out of bed, even compared to my miserable old 1.8 Mondeo which is a flying machine in comparison.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
As bad and all Vauxhall's diesels are, I'd have one of those before a PSA, especially the 1.6HDi. Getting the DPF fluid refilled every 35k isn't a cheap job.

Miserable engines - we've the 1.6TDCI 110hp Focus at work, wouldn't pull you out of bed, even compared to my miserable old 1.8 Mondeo which is a flying machine in comparison.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

The topping up isn't to bad, its when you have to replace the actual DPF it get hugely expensive

Smog

RMS Regular
Sounds like the best result I could imagine (y) Far from ideal with all the hassle but thats really the outcome I would rather have.

I wonder if he will really cancel his dealings with the RAC... I doubt it, as with you I suspect its just a way for them to flog on cars that arnt 100%.

Do you think the car can get a "quick fix" done to it? Perhaps thats what they/someone did in the first and then sold it on before it came to you. I wonder if some other poor sod will get stuck with the same car and situation :worried:

We need a lemon blacklist service like a HPI check!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Just buy a petrol next time round. DERV's these days are pure dung.

Excellent result by the way, must be such a relief for you and the wife.

azzymo

RMS Regular
OP
azzymo
Drives
Bikes

Really? That's the engine in the wee one I'm looking at. Quite a noisy engine compared to the diesels I've had up to this point. 35k to me would be about 3 years driving.

The topping up isn't to bad, its when you have to replace the actual DPF it get hugely expensive

What's this DPF and how much is hugely expensive?

Sounds like the best result I could imagine (y) Far from ideal with all the hassle but thats really the outcome I would rather have.

I wonder if he will really cancel his dealings with the RAC... I doubt it, as with you I suspect its just a way for them to flog on cars that arnt 100%.

Do you think the car can get a "quick fix" done to it? Perhaps thats what they/someone did in the first and then sold it on before it came to you. I wonder if some other poor sod will get stuck with the same car and situation :worried:

We need a lemon blacklist service like a HPI check!

I know that there is a quick fix you can do to get another few thousand miles but I hope the dealer doesn't do this. As it stands the dealer and Vauxhall are at loggerheads, with the dealer telling me that they don't even want to pick the car up so I can imagine this motor will be going pretty cheap in the next few weeks somewhere, maybe auction.

Just buy a petrol next time round. DERV's these days are pure dung.

It's something I haven't considered Coog as I was always under the impression that if you could buy a diesel of the car you want then that's the way to go. Saying that I agree that the diesels of today don't seem as reliable as say 10years+ ago. I'm led to believe that our modern day motors are built to give these little issues which line the pockets of those in the repair business!

I guess I need to rethink my buying strategy!

_ZS_

Drives
Mondeo, i30, MF1
What's this DPF and how much is hugely expensive?

!

Diesel Particulate Filter. It's about £135 to get the fluid refilled, and if/when the DPF stops working, then you're looking the guts of a grand to get it replaced. It's a world of hurt waiting to happen.

To be honest, I wouldn't touch a modern diesel with a DPF. Just go petrol, they're cheaper to buy and some of them do diesel-like MPG. also doesn't feel like you're driving a dumper.

The missus' little i30 is a 1.4. 108hp. Doing town runs all week and a 200 mile round trip at the weekend, it's averaging 44mpg. It goes well enough, overtaking isn't really an issue, there's no timing belt, no particulate filters to worry about, and in winter the heater's working before you get out of the estate even in -17C.
It's WAY better than the 1.6TDCI Focus I have to suffer at work. It's laughably bad, cracks me up, it's like driving a car powered by an elastic band.

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
Drives
Hundeye
Honestly so happy I LPG'd my bus and didnt go STTDCI. fuel cost was starting to hurt but the LPG is just faultless. Some mechanics spread some **** about it but I love it. Slight slight difference in power but I can switch to petrol at anytime if I want the car sharper.

Will be V8 power next I reckon

Mark_C

RMS Regular
NO petrol does diesel like MPG unless its a 1.0 yaris driven at 55 mph constantly on a flat road with no passengers, tyres all at 80psi etc etc. A fair comparison to the above would be a 1.4 TDi C3 (Or maybe C2) that will both see well over 60 (And over 70 in the case of the C2) in similar driving.

Modern diesels are **** no doubt, but they still do much better mpg than petrols in REAL WORLD driving - ie not constant rate steady speed driving.

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
Drives
Hundeye
yeah but im still to drive a diesel thats a nice as a 3ltr V6 petrol mark. Even for noise alone I would have the petrol. Im seeing 30mpg on the LPG which is equivalent to about 50mpg on a cost basis to diesel. I have driven the current golf GTD got 41mpg my dad and sister both have 170BHP audi units. Would pull the skin of cold custard.

Petrol all the way for me and the engine is just much simpler

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.