Dodgy dealer?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
diesels are for daily drivers. I wouldn't consider only having one car and it being diesel

I'm just saying petrol mpg is crap no matter what the manufacturers say

_ZS_

Drives
Mondeo, i30, MF1
Disagree. As I said, the OH's i30 is getting 44mpg. Doing the same journeys, my diesel Lancer was doing 44mpg.

The fancy new direct injection petrol engines, with turbos are all doing very good MPG - look at Fiat's T-Jet, MultiAir, Renault's TCE, VAG's TSI - all small, high output, high MPG engines without the cement mixer noise, ****ed up emission controls and exhaust filters, and a rev range that's usable.

I predict DERV will fast become a thing of the past for cars - people will discover the huge bills totally negate the fuel savings, and buy petrol the next time.

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
Drives
Hundeye
So what exactly makes a modern Derv more unreliable than previous generation engines. I personally always associated diesels with reliability, I guess I was always used to older ones. Is it simply how much performance and MPG they are trying to extract. The one in my L200 is as old as the hills but nothing seems to stop it. But then its only 110BHP from a 2.5td and 25mpg on a good day

azzymo

RMS Regular
OP
azzymo
Drives
Bikes
I have a petrol motor for the weekends and for when I want to rake about so the performance of the HDI engine isn't an issue for me. I'm trading in our 1.7dti Astra so I am well used to having no power! The DPF issue is new to me and something I'll check out first.

Anyone had experience or heard anything about Audi A2s? Petrol or Derv.

Also would you's be swayed if the car you were looking at had all the extras you usually put on/in a car ie big alloys, spoiler, sport seats? I don't like just driving bog standard so if I was going for say an i30 or C'eed I'd be spending money on improving the car but with the wee Citroen I'm considering, everything is there, I wouldn't touch it at all.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Been reading this thread since the begining, glad to hear you got sorted in the end (y)

_ZS_

Drives
Mondeo, i30, MF1
So what exactly makes a modern Derv more unreliable than previous generation engines.

Higher pump and injection pressures (some are 2100BAR injecting up to 7 times per cylinder per stroke), EGRs which make the engines eat their own ****, swirl flaps which gum up and are there to help low end torque from 16v engines. Clogged inlet manifolds is an issue too, that stems from EGR.

Longer service intervals I think causes a lot of turbo failures, too - 20k+ on oil is madness considering it's black as your boot within minutes of an oil change.

That's before you consider the diesel particulate filters which are in the exhaust to catch the soot. They're supposed to burn off the soot by a few different methods, but it doesn't seem too reliable.

First method is the VAG way - they inject diesel on the exhaust stroke, basically dumping neat diesel through the turbo and out the exhaust, which should burn the soot off. It also leads to bore wash, and can overheat the exhaust manifold. Also requires you to do 20 minutes at 2000-2500rpm constant to regen the DPF - where the hell you're supposed to be able to do that in this country is beyond me.

Second way is the Urea method (similar to AdBlue in trucks) that pump chemical in to the DPF to aid burning. This is the PSA way (Ford, Pug, Citroen, etc). Possibly more reliable, but expensive as it needs the urea refilled, and the filters seem to be dearer to replace when they do eventually die.

So, longer service intervals and emission controls are killing diesel engines far quicker than the older diesels like your L200.

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
Drives
Hundeye
8k interval on my L200 for the oil anyhow. I drop it out myself, massive oil filter too and all easily accessible.

yep sister and dads audi both 18K service interval. Thats a long time for a few litres of oil to look after an engine.

So are the more modern engines simply under more strain to produce the power, torque and MPG that they can. When i drove that golf GTD it was a proper motor but even when i tried to be sensible 41mpg was what I got and that didnt seem great for a 2.0tdi

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Disagree. As I said, the OH's i30 is getting 44mpg. Doing the same journeys, my diesel Lancer was doing 44mpg.

The fancy new direct injection petrol engines, with turbos are all doing very good MPG - look at Fiat's T-Jet, MultiAir, Renault's TCE, VAG's TSI - all small, high output, high MPG engines without the cement mixer noise, ****ed up emission controls and exhaust filters, and a rev range that's usable.

I predict DERV will fast become a thing of the past for cars - people will discover the huge bills totally negate the fuel savings, and buy petrol the next time.

What size engine was the lancer v the i30?

Petrol engines have EGR too in case you hadn't noticed...

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Wife is getting just under 48mpg in her petrol Astra H. That's not going to be far off the derv and should be more reliable going by some of the issues these new vaux diesels are having.

There was a good time to buy a diesel... about 10 years ago when they rattled and smoked and no-one really wanted one :p

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
me personally i would stay clear of anything Citreon they have terrible reputation with regards to failure etc ... would you not be safer looking at something known to be reliable like a Toyota, Honda etc?

Really glad you got sorted, sounded like a right nitemare and i know i better be prepared to be flamed but another reason why I would never ever ever think about buying a Vauxhall ... derv or petrol

Darcy Dog

RMS Regular
Drives
Cooper S
Im glad you got a result in the end.At least now when you go to look at buying something else you will maybe check out any known faults with that brand off car.

I got my car lifted out off the vauxhall garage and got it towed to another garage for a second opinion.

My pads and discs are ok.
My turbo feed pipe is ok.
The return feed pipe has a small bit off oil round the big nut bolt at the end off it.
The air con rad does have a bit broken off the bottom.
My cat are both ok they havent collapsed failed blocked etc.

So really the only thing that the dealer was honest about was the air con rad.Is it any wonder people call the dealers stealers.The dealers was trying to con me out off over 2 grand its a disgrace.

Attachments

• DSC00128.JPG
    DSC00128.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC00129.JPG
    DSC00129.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC00130.JPG
    DSC00130.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 41
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.