Golf R Estate

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
OP
BobSpounge
Cheers mate. Yes on a 2 year lease deal. Unlike the Corsa it will be driven and not sitting about like an ornament. Any excuse for a drive and I'm out in this.

lackingBHP

RMS Regular
Drives
mediocrely
What where they like to deal with? Looking a new car, unfortunately a sharan not a golf r but they are coming up with good lease deals.

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
OP
BobSpounge
Made the enquiry with the dealer by email, had a quick chat over the phone with their fleet and lease manager who had the enquiry form emailed to me about 5 minutes later. Filled in the form and he emailed me at the end of the same day to say it was approved by VWFS and the car was ordered. He gave me the order number and I could track the order and build progress through VW's online tracking system. Heard nothing from the dealer until about a week before the car was due. Painless process really.

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
OP
BobSpounge
Only read if your maybe thinking about getting an R as it's nothing interesting but I thought I'd update on how I'm getting on with this.

This is the first car I've owned that the more I drive it, the more I love it.

The DSG gearbox is perfect and hasn't put a foot wrong, it always seems to be in the right gear. At times there is a very slight hesitation if pulling out for an overtake but this can be overcome by using the paddles.

Not that anyone gets a car like this for economy but Eco mode is the height of nonsense and I hate the way the car drives with it switched on. I drove with it on for a few days and found no difference to mpg on my commute to work compared to normal mode. I'll not comment about economy in race mode and sure the mpg is really down to how you drive it in race, you don't select race to tiddle about lol.

Drive it like a granny though and it's pretty economical. Managed 39 mpg average on a drive from Lisburn to Newcastle and back in normal mode. It won't see that figure too often though.

The auto stop/start is annoying simply because you have to switch it off every time you start the car. It does work well in traffic as the radar starts the engine when the car in front moves off, however the engine shuts off at junctions/roundabouts etc which can be a pain. If they set it that the engine only shuts off when there is a vehicle in front it would work better. I don't like it so I switch it off.

The adaptive cruise control is brilliant. On a drive down to Dublin, once I got past the Hillsborough roundabout the only time I touched the pedals was at the toll bridge at Drogheda until I turned off the motorway.

Build quality is good, no rattles or squeaks so far. The standard ICE is pretty good and would be more than adequate for most. I won't use it much but I don't like the satnav as it can confuse with too much information. On the drive down to Birkenhead from Alton Towers it threw me off track a few times but got me there in the end.

Launch control is a laugh.

I usually get bored with my cars quite quickly and often end up spending a fortune modding in an attempt to make them better. Ok, being a lease I can't mod it but to be honest if I owned it I don't think there's much could be done to make it better. It's not perfect but it's pretty damned close.

Last edited:

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
Only read if your maybe thinking about getting an R as it's nothing interesting but I thought I'd update on how I'm getting on with this.

This is the first car I've owned that the more I drive it, the more I love it.

The DSG gearbox is perfect and hasn't put a foot wrong, it always seems to be in the right gear. At times there is a very slight hesitation if pulling out for an overtake but this can be overcome by using the paddles.

Not that anyone gets a car like this for economy but Eco mode is the height of nonsense and I hate the way the car drives with it switched on. I drove with it on for a few days and found no difference to mpg on my commute to work compared to normal mode. I'll not comment about economy in race mode.

Drive it like a granny though and it's pretty economical. Managed 39 mpg average on a drive from Lisburn to Newcastle and back in normal mode. It won't see that figure too often though.

The auto stop/start is annoying simply because you have to switch it off every time you start the car. It does work well in traffic as the radar starts the engine when the car in front moves off, however the engine shuts off at junctions/roundabouts etc which can be a pain. If they set it that the engine only shuts off when there is a vehicle in front it would work better. I don't like it so I switch it off.

The adaptive cruise control is brilliant. On a drive down to Dublin, once I got past the Hillsborough roundabout the only time I touched the pedals was at the toll bridge at Drogheda until I turned off the motorway.

Build quality is good, no rattles or squeaks so far. The standard ICE is pretty good and would be more than adequate for most. I won't use it much but I don't like the satnav as it can confuse with too much information. On the drive down to Birkenhead from Alton Towers it threw me off track a few times but got me there in the end.

Launch control is a laugh.

I usually get bored with my cars quite quickly and often end up spending a fortune modding in an attempt to make them better. Ok, being a lease I can't mod it but to be honest if I owned it I don't think there's much could be done to make it better. It's not perfect but it's pretty damned close.

Good feedback and I agree with your comments.
With the points highlighted above I have seen some impressive MPG figures while using Eco mode however I have not compared these against the same journey in normal mode so cannot really comment with regards the difference. MPG aside, it does completely change the drive of the car. I feel it is very quick at moving up the gears but slower acceleration due to the hesitation to downshift. It also 'coasts' in neutral when you disengage the accelerator dropping the revs. In my opinion the more delayed or sluggish feel in Eco mode encourages you to drive with economy in mind however you still have the ability to redline in Eco mode so the potential is there to in fact have the same MPG figures as Normal mode.

With regards the Auto Start/Stop , this is the first car I have driven a car with the feature and in fact when leaving the dealership I thought I had stalled it :oops: However the more I drive it then more I like it. As you say, you can simply turn it off but it enabled again on restart. It can be coded to be off permanently if required.

I have not have the opportunity to test the ACC but have a trip planned this weekend so must give it a go !

Dave..

RMS Regular
I have tried the Eco mode twice in mine and makes the car feel like its off a cyclinder = awful and never use it. The stop start is a pain if its raining as the wipers stop when the engine stops again I never use it unless its in the roadworks on the Hill Hall road and I could be sitting for a while.
One of the downsides for me is not being able to legally fit a tow bar but apart from that its a great car.

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
OP
BobSpounge
@Lyons @Iain Traynor @Carson

I've disabled the auto/stop start on my a4 with vcds and its so much better as it did my head in.

Yeagh I think you change the battery voltage threshold with vcds so the ecu sees the battery as being low and won't cut off the engine.

I really don't want to start messing about with vcds because lease so I've just got used to pressing the button to disable every time I start the car. Kind of like a pre flight check.

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
Yeagh I think you change the battery voltage threshold with vcds so the ecu sees the battery as being low and won't cut off the engine.

I really don't want to start messing about with vcds because lease so I've just got used to pressing the button to disable every time I start the car. Kind of like a pre flight check.

Vcds shouldn't affect lease. I had to go into

- Go to Module 09-Cent. Elec.
- Enter Security Code (shown up by default) (mine was 20113)
- Go to Adaptation, Type Channel 34 and hit Read button, it should show the factory default number in value window.
- Subtract 4 from factory default number/value to disable Start&Stop every time engine is started. "Worked for my car"
Test & save. Worked a treat.

I don't mind it at longer stops though, ultimately it is there for consumption purposes.
(y)

Anyone in the Belfast area do this for the new polo GTI? Its a complete pain in the balls with DSG imo
@Darren91 maybe

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
I turn off start / stop on mine most of the time too as its a pain in the hole. Used Eco once but really don't like how it drives and the cutting of the engine while coasting. Mine stays in Race and when I need full fat race mode I just pull back on the gear leaver and boot it :p
I use ACC all the time, excellent for sitting in traffic once you get used to it

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Agree on the stop/start at junctions. It's a pain in the ass and even a hazard.

I don't really have an issue with it and have driven many cars with it. I don't see how it annoys anybody really but this thread shows a lot of people don't like it.

It only kicks in when you are at a complete stop, the engine starts as soon as you get to a set brake pressure as you release. Can't see how it poses a hazard at all, if you are relying on that reaction of a second delay to get out then you are probably creating a hazard by pulling out

In what way do you see it as a hazard?

The reason most OEM's make it so you have to switch it off each time is because it has to do this to get the emissions based credits.

Last edited:

mmc01

RMS Regular
I don't really have an issue with it and have driven many cars with it. I don't see how it annoys anybody really but this thread shows a lot of people don't like it.

It only kicks in when you are at a complete stop, the engine starts as soon as you get to a set brake pressure as you release. Can't see how it poses a hazard at all, if you are relying on that reaction of a second delay to get out then you are probably creating a hazard by pulling out

In what way do you see it as a hazard?

The reason most OEM's make it so you have to switch it off each time is because it has to do this to get the emissions based credits.

Vw are different, they start on the throttle not brake.

Absolutely fantastic in traffic in town. Don't have to rest your foot on brake in a dsg.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Vw are different, they start on the throttle not brake.

Absolutely fantastic in traffic in town. Don't have to rest your foot on brake in a dsg.

Ah I see, that could be more hazardous I guess. Understand why they do it that way but don't think I would want it that way.

You should still be allowing enough time at junctions etc that it shouldn't matter though

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
OP
BobSpounge
Does this have a KCZ short plate on it? If it does, i spotted it at Ikea earlier.

Mine has an English reg. It's not quite white at the minute either, more a browny black after a run up the north coast yesterday. It could do with a wash.

Reactions: AMG

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
OP
BobSpounge
FB_IMG_1496091005449.jpg

Can't believe I have this a year to the day and love it as much now as the day I got it. I usually would be bored with a car by now. One year to go and I hope there's another decent lease deal for these comes up closer to the time as I can't see me wanting anything else.

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
I love ours ! Great for family duties and a totally different drive after jumping out of the M3

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.