Hill Climbs: Competing

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Think I could do a hillclimb in the carlton? Or would I be shunned for leaving black lines at every corner. I'm being serious!

Andy

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
lol

you'd be shunned!!!!

just kidding.

funny i had just made a few enquires about what i would need to do with the Nav rally car to run it in a hillclimb... and the answer seems to be:

hand held extingiser,
a little arrow showing which way the ignition key needs so that car can be turned off, a
timing strut (black piece of metal basically which breaks the beam)

Oh, and you'll definately need an MSA competition license. 50gpb, and you'll have to get a signature from your doctor as far as i remember :grinning:

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
What other costs do I need to be aware of, entry, length of stages etc. Wouldn't want the jackie to expire up some hill :grinning:

Andy

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
hillclimbs are sprints are short. your talking, a flying lap around kirkistown or nutts corner, or else 1.5 / 2miles for a hillclimb (at the absolute longest).

Not sure what the entry fees are like for them, but i don't reckon they are extortionate. You'll probably also have to pay a small fee on the day for club insurance (this doesn't mean your vehicle is insured, it just covers 3rd party damage. Basically if you break your car, then you pay for it, even under your own competition insurance).

You may also need to be a member of a local motor club , but you can get Queens MC membership for a fiver. Aside from that, can't think of anything obvious to stop you. There are classes for road cars.... As a personal note, i'd cage it, but thats up to the individual at the end of the day! :grinning:

carmadchris

RMS Regular
Sprints and hillclimbs are not cheap cultra hillclimb for instance is costing me £55 to enter because i am a member of the TSCC if i was not a member it would cost £60.

Also to compete in sprints and hillclimbs you need an approved helmet and race suit.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
most small club run events are £50ish andy, suit £30, helmet £60 MAX !

come to cairncastle with us on saturday and u'll soon want to be on those hills ;) (i'll even pick you up on route !)

rugrat

RMS Photographer
Drives
Leon FR 2.0TDi
Graham said:
come to cairncastle with us on saturday and u'll soon want to be on those hills ;) (i'll even pick you up on route !)

He will be waiting a while if you are going to Tipperary?? :roll:

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
carmadchris said:
Sprints and hillclimbs are not cheap cultra hillclimb for instance is costing me £55 to enter because i am a member of the TSCC if i was not a member it would cost £60.

Also to compete in sprints and hillclimbs you need an approved helmet and race suit.

this is ultra cheap compared to Rallys ;). If it was 50quid to enter most rallys, rather than a couple of hundred, I'd be doing that!!! :grinning:

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
I'm a member of QUBMC already. It sounds like fun, bit more expensive than a track day but maybe the prospect of extreme sidewards style on a public road appeals greatly :grinning:

@Graham - mate I'll be in Tipp on Sat you eejit :p But yes I wouldn't mind a nosey some time so I might tag along to another!

Thanks for the info people!
Andy

Geoff20VT

The last sprint at Nutts Corner was £85, expect to use about £15 of petrol plus the extreme deteriation of tyres brakes etc, it is expensive and very competative, probably rounds it off to about £150 per competition round through the year.

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
I'd expect the usual wear and tear but £85 is still rather expensive on top. Looks like fun though!

Andy

Geoff20VT

I came overall 2nd last year in my class, 26 points to the winning 30, I won my first sprint of the 2004 competition at Nuttscorner 2 weeks ago. I use my road going everyday car which is slightly modified, as a comparison - there was a scooby wrx in my class at nuttscorner he was 8 secs slower on the 2 lap timed runs.

It is good fun but is quite serious considering the type of machinery that competes, WRC's, ex touring cars, single seaters, pilbeam's etc. You can see a couple of pictures and video's at www.gharknes.dsl.pipex.com (just a tempory site I through together to host some pics and video's) there are also some on our Italian Club site at www.niimc.co.uk

S_Gault

RMS Regular
Its as serious as you want to make it..

the trick to success in roadgoing is having a car that fits the class structure very well.

Having competed against a certain black nova for last 5 years..Im sure most of you know how important this is.

i'll be back soon In Class 1, just as soon as I can finish some customers engines and get my own car finished.

Steven

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
It really does sound like fun, but I don't think either of my cars would be that competitive. Any info on the class structure?

Andy

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
Off the ANICC site, concerning the NI Championship:

8.1 VEHICLE CATEGORIES
8.1.1 Category A Overall:- All cars complying with RAC MSA Safety Regulations Sections E,L & Q for Sprint and Hillclimb vehicles, entered in classes 1-14 below.
8.1.2 Category B Classes:-
1. Modified Saloons and Sports Cars, up to 1400cc, having no more than two valves per cylinder.
2. Modified Saloons and Sports Cars, over 1401cc and up to 2300cc, having no more than two valves per cylinder
3. Modified Saloons and Sports Cars, over 2301cc and all multi valve vehicles.
4. 2WD Rally Cars, up to 1700cc
5. 2WD Rally Cars, over 1700cc
6. Road Going Saloons and Sports Cars up to 1700cc.
7. Road Going Saloons and Sports Cars over 1700cc.

8. Modified Road and Kit Cars, up to 2500cc, having no more than 2 valves per cylinder
9. All other Modified Road and Kit Cars
10. Historic Road Going Saloons and Sports Cars
11. Cars complying with Formula VW, MSA Formula Ford 1600 and Crossle Classic Cup (as defined by Crossle Car Company, Rory's Wood, Holywood, Co. Down) Regulations.
12.Formula Libre i.e. Single Seater and Sports Racing Cars (inc. Clubmans) chassis cars up to 1400cc multi valve and up to 2000cc for engines having no more than 2 valves per cylinder
13. All other Formula Libre (incl Modified Saloons and Sports cars with more than two driven wheels)

Regs:
http://www.anicc.org.uk/content/regulations/spintandhillclimb.asp

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
Cooper said:
You entering the Rallye?

Andy

what do you think I am... nuts? :lol: . In fairness i'd love to enter it, but at the end of the day i'd be gutted if i wrecked it. I have a Nova i use for Nav rallies, was thinking of using it for a couple :grinning:.

S_Gault

RMS Regular
cultra this weekend is very mickey mouse, and if its wet its totally useless.

so a std roadcar can have a big advantage there as it will put its power down much easier than a peaky racer.

and dont let the road going class make you think that the cars are racers..

The current class 7 leader in hills is running one of my enginesas well as class 9, class 10, class 5... and one of guys in class 1

Steven

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
Reading through some old threads, I'm just wondering what is meant by this comment:- "dont let the road going class make you think the cars are racers". What exactly is the definition of a "racer" Steven. As you know I compete in the road going class in a 1.4 single point injection Metro. Check out some of my times from this year and last and you'll see I've beaten some of these so called "racers" or else I am damned tight to them. In a standard Metro. For some of us the hillclimbs are just a days sport and thats why there isnt much done to the cars. Just cos someone hasnt got thousands spent on a car it doesnt make their cars any less of a "racer" than others.(and lets face it some cars out there are bordering on ridiculous money and they arent exactly setting the hills on fire). Excluding entry fees I've spent about £700 this past 3 years on hillclimbing and the bulk of that was the cage, seat, harness, helmet and suit, a set of tyres and 2 Bilstein shocks. There hasnt been all that much spent on "the black Nova" either and he's still wiping everyones eye.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
i'm guessing it's the "1400 8v" we are talking about? if so it has had a fair bit spent on it i'd say, no way can an engine rev or go that hard and not cost a fortune ?!

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
No its a 1.4 16v with 110 k miles on the clock. Completely standard except for a "homemade special" exhaust. Single point injection as well. The only thing on the car thats modified is the suspension and even at that its still the crappy Metro hydragas system. Interior stripped and a cage and seat fitted.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
sorry you read me wrong, i meant the "black nova"

i know your car from the hills as i followed a few last season and really missed them this season as i didn't see one and only watched 1 sprint and that was with a radio and a few flags on the chicane at kirkistown :grinning:

those wee metro's can fairly shift alright !

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.