I bought back my old mk5 GTI

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Proper impressive power and torque that! Do you have a LSD for it or think it will need one on track to help get the power down?

Can't wait to see this go round Kirkistown lol

Don’t have an LSD atm. Could definitely do with one at some stage.
I actually have a search saved on eBay for a cheap used LSD, if one ever comes up for sale.
Fair ****ing play to you. A lot would have given up long before now. Unreal thread and love the car

I should have given up straight after I bought it, I’m in too deep now. 😂

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Some power! FYI those S3 18's are heavier than the 19's
I’m not even thinking about weight, I just wanted a spare set of wheels for track use that I don’t mind if they get banged up. They have the exact same fitment measurements as the standard Monzas but I did have to add 5mm spacers to the fronts as they where sitting about 1mm away from the big S3 brakes.

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
So after 7 months in the body shop, I finally have the Golf back. It ended up needing 2 new sills. Every panel but the roof was resprayed and all the rust on the body has been taken care of.
Definitely shouldn’t have taken 7 months but over all I’m happy with the result.

Shame I didn’t get it to any track days this year because of the delays at the body shop, but I plan to take it to the last track skills this weekend. (Or next week if it’s postponed because of the floods)
I’m hoping it is postponed as there’s a few things I want to get taken care of first.
I want to get the 17 inch wheels on with the Nankang AR-1’s and also adjust the coil overs to their hardest setting.
And I have a new ABS pump to fit as well. I don’t need traction control on the track but some ABS would be nice.
The cars MOT has also ran out over the time it’s been away so as soon as I’m able to get the ABS pump on, I’ll get that sorted as well. 🤞
IMG_2482.jpeg
IMG_2009.jpeg
IMG_2010.jpeg
IMG_2958.jpeg
IMG_2965.jpeg

Last edited:

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
So trackskills back in November didn't go well. I only managed 6 laps before I called it a day. In one of the braking zones the car spun on me! When I got it back to the pits we had a quick inspection that showed the inside of the front left wheel covered in oil. So therefore the oil was all over my front left brake, hence the on track pirouette in the braking zone.
No one could see where the oil was coming from and initial thoughts were a leaking shock. Though after I got it to the mechanics, he diagnosed it as a leaking gearbox. So with all the right turns at Kirkistown, the oil was dripping right onto the front left brakes.

So I've managed to get a mk6 GTI gearbox, apparently a better gearbox than the mk5's. And since I'm there, it would be rude not to get an LSD as well! Anyways, off to Forge Garage with a boot full of goodies.

IMG_3427.jpeg

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
What brace is that? I am hovering over a Eurocode brace from the states for mine which goes along the boot floor meaning I still have full use of the boot

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
So after 7 months in the body shop, I finally have the Golf back. It ended up needing 2 new sills. Every panel but the roof was resprayed and all the rust on the body has been taken care of.
Definitely shouldn’t have taken 7 months but over all I’m happy with the result.

Shame I didn’t get it to any track days this year because of the delays at the body shop, but I plan to take it to the last track skills this weekend. (Or next week if it’s postponed because of the floods)
I’m hoping it is postponed as there’s a few things I want to get taken care of first.
I want to get the 17 inch wheels on with the Nankang AR-1’s and also adjust the coil overs to their hardest setting.
And I have a new ABS pump to fit as well. I don’t need traction control on the track but some ABS would be nice.
The cars MOT has also ran out over the time it’s been away so as soon as I’m able to get the ABS pump on, I’ll get that sorted as well. 🤞View attachment 415722View attachment 415723View attachment 415725View attachment 415726View attachment 415727
Aul Segasby loves the long-term work lol

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
What brace is that? I am hovering over a Eurocode brace from the states for mine which goes along the boot floor meaning I still have full use of the boot

It an ECS Tuning one. I got it from AwesomeGTi. No idea if it does anything but it looks cool. 😂

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
It an ECS Tuning one. I got it from AwesomeGTi. No idea if it does anything but it looks cool. 😂

That's my thinking too, will it do anything?? as there doesn't seem to be a lot of feed back on it - racingline do a full rear seat brace but just means you will have to take it off if needing full boot or put it on for the track where as this one sits along the bottom taking up minimal space

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
That's my thinking too, will it do anything?? as there doesn't seem to be a lot of feed back on it - racingline do a full rear seat brace but just means you will have to take it off if needing full boot or put it on for the track where as this one sits along the bottom taking up minimal space

I’ll leave a link to it here. I can’t see one for the S3 on their website though. The spiel on the website talks a good talk. It’s meant to stiffen up the chassis and stops any body flex meaning better cornering speeds bla bla bla.
Basically it looks cool. 😂

DJMCA

RMS Regular
Genuinely dont get the idea of rear strut braces. Always looked at them but never went for one

Surely if the rear is too stiff it will end up beside you in a corner??

pablo

RMS Moderator
If it goes along the floor it can’t be doing too much. Bracing the top of the towers seems like it might do something.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Can also stop the back end from breaking apart. Rear turrets in a number of BMW's have a habit of breaking through.

Car looks great @Chris tii can only imagine extra power and work done really makes for a fun drive. Mines only sitting around 240 brake apparently and it's fun enough at that.

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Can also stop the back end from breaking apart. Rear turrets in a number of BMW's have a habit of breaking through.

Car looks great @Chris tii can only imagine extra power and work done really makes for a fun drive. Mines only sitting around 240 brake apparently and it's fun enough at that.

It’s probably too much power for it to be fun at the moment. The wheels just spin up all the time. Hopefully the LSD will improve things.
Genuinely dont get the idea of rear strut braces. Always looked at them but never went for one

Surely if the rear is too stiff it will end up beside you in a corner??

I was always thought making car a more stiff is an advantage. I’ve never heard a car company boasting their new model is now 20% more floppy. 😂

Edit: that’s what she said.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Most cars are set up to understeer so stiffening up the ARB and removing flex in the rear dials a lot of that out. Works pretty well on track anyway!

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
My Jetta with a decat, intake and map was lively enough (around 260ish?) and felt ample enough for the roads, even after coming from a 330bhp Edition 30.

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Bit of an update on the Golf. Quaife diff, new ABS pump and Super Pro front control arm & adjustable ball joint kit was fitted by Forge Garage. Got the wheel alignment done at Blackline with a bit of camber thrown in. And the car feels like a new car! The diff makes a big difference especially coming out of corners.

I also put on a cheeky front splitter, which I'm undecided on.

IMG_0281.jpeg

In a baptism of fire I took the car to the Tracksills Track day over the weekend at Kirkistown. Good news is the car felt really good on the track, I went easy in the corners, and I made sure I braked pretty early throughout the day, since I still had memories of my spin on the last track day. Though on the straight the car was flying! This time out I used the 18 inch Monzas on the normal PS4 road tyres, last time out I used 17 inch Monza wheels on Nankang Ar1 tyres. The 17 inch Monzas were rubbing really badly because the wheels (I'm guessing) are for a Polo GTI as the offset was et45, and not the Golfs usual et51. So before the next track day I plan to get another set of 17 inch wheels to put the AR1s onto.
Bad news is, when under light acceleration, the car would judder really bad. Gav popped on his fault code reader and it was coming up as Manifold pressure/boost sensor - signal too high. Google is telling me its likely a faulty MAP boost sensor, fingers crossed thats all it is. 🤞
Also has an airbag warning light which needs sorted, but I'm hoping its something simple enough as well.

IMG_0304.JPG
IMG_0306.JPG
IMG_0300.jpeg

JH86

RMS Regular
What an absolute pain in the arse.

You've got me curious about the issue and looking through various forums. Seems to be common with upgraded clutches but heres one from a MK7 with stock engine and clutch. Only seems to happen on cars with manual gearboxes.

View attachment 365916

I haven't finished reading all of this thread yet, but yea that's very common even with a standard pressure plate due to "depress clutch to Start" your pushing the crank with the clutch pedal against a thrust washer thats dripped dry ish, and an uprated pressure plate will bring the issue even sooner

Remove the clutch to start and the issue literally won't ever happen👍

I'll carry on with the thread, love it so far what a car ✌️