Impact driver shopping, what sort of torque should i be looking?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

corsacj

RMS Regular
Thinking of treating myself to an impact driver, either cordless or corded mains powered

I find myself looking at the torque ratings on them most, what is an adequate torque for mechanicing work, things like stubborn shock bolts and the likes? and what other stats should i be looking at?

In no rush to purchase one, as im heading off to uni next week, but starting to accumulate a better set of tools so that i can work alot more efficiently at weekends etc

Mark_C

RMS Regular
I've a battery wrench that is SUPPOSED to have something like 700lb/ft of breakaway torque, needless to say I ALWAYS end up using the CP air impact gun.

They're decent if youre stuck for changing a wheel etc, but pish when the going gets tough.

dross432

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx sti,
i got an air one supposed to be doing over 300, but its only as good as the compressor its being used with 4 bolts and the compressors done lol. most of the time i just use a breaker bar to get things started if it doesnt move with one of them then it usually snaps off lol

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Snap On 18v is the only 1 worth buying, and unless you're using it pretty much daily, it's not worth spending £600 on.

I've used Draper, DeWalt, Sealey 24v and a few others and they all require a breaker bar for wheel nuts, bottom pulley bolts and drive shaft nuts, but the Snap On gun is yet to be beaten, even with fusty subframe bolts and diff internals which are thread locked...

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
I have a Makita ordered, supposed to go to 440lbs, will believe it when I see it, but it fits the batteries and charger I already have and should do the job nicely for all its costing.

Snap On seem to be the unreputed winner in this department, but as a hobbyist I can't justify the £400 price tag.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
£400?

The new 625lb/ft gun is over £600 ffs... On the plus side, it'll undo anything and outlast everything...

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Foooook! That's getting into money I'd rather spend on a 2 post!

corsacj

RMS Regular
OP
corsacj
£400?

The new 625lb/ft gun is over £600 ffs... On the plus side, it'll undo anything and outlast everything...

626lbft? Use that on a saxo and it would probably write the fecker off! lol

Id definitely not be into that budget, just isnt justifiable when i wouldnt be using it enough

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Foooook! That's getting into money I'd rather spend on a 2 post!

Yeah, and when ya buy a 2 post, only then will you realise how much you need/want a gun as everything becomes so much more accessible... Then when you have that, you want transmission jacks, oil strainers, a huge compressor for undersealing etc... Tis a vicious cycle... Lol

MattW86

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3
I got a Sealey 24v cordless off of TforTools in Lurgan for £124, cant fault the thing. (only used it for wheel bolts and the odd stubborn bolt)

Matt

Stuart

RMS Regular
Drives
Saxo, 3 series
found with battery impact guns they run out of breaking power after about a year (snap on ones included)

cant beat a well oiled air gun!!

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
found with battery impact guns they run out of breaking power after about a year (snap on ones included)

Snap on one hear, about 5 years old, maybe more and it has never missed a beat. Still hasnt lost breaking power and I am yet to find anything to beat it when its fully charged. If you do find it losing breaking power it is probably because the battery has lost some of its conditioning and therefore not delivering the same power.

steenson

RMS Regular
Drives
misc 80's/90's
ive looked at these too but think money would be better spent on a compressor and an airgun unless you can afford the snapon one, momentum motorsport seem to have a few of them which is what started me looking.........I looking at tools i dont have ive a habbit of buying things i dont need lol

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I've a Sealey rated at 200lbft, got it 2-3 years ago and was using it today to take control arms, etc off the Jeep without any major difficulties. It's not epic, wheel nuts might need a hand (though didn't need a hand today right enough) and really bad bolts still need the breaker bar, but it was something like £100 and I've found it invaluable regardless of what everyone else is saying above. One of the best tools I have.

steenson

RMS Regular
Drives
misc 80's/90's
whats the model number coog and how log does it last before it needs a charge?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I'll find out the model number later. Battery lasted long enough to do this... I then gave it a top-up over lunch (30mins) to get everything back together again.

IMAG0413.jpg

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
I've a snap on one. Best thing I've ever bought TBH tho might change it to new model.

It did struggle with bottom shock bolts on a focus that havent been out in 135k tho even with a breaker bar they wouldn't budge so can't blame it

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
AFAIK Ingersoll Rand have a 20v gun out at the moment which walks all over Snap Ons 18v in terms of bolt breaking power. MAC tool man told me during the week MAC in conjunction with Milwaukee tools are relasing a gun next year which is meant to be even more powerful still.
Agree. In the workshop I prefer the 1/2 air gun as it is shorter in length and more manageable than the Snap On cordless (regardless of the air hose), with more power and a fraction of the price.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Agree a good Ingersoll Rand air gun is hard to beat

Tho air isn't really option for me hence I went for the battery powered gun

rupertfinch

RMS Regular
I have a mains powered Clarke one from machine Mart. 60 quid ish. Not great build quality, but having hung from bolts with a breaker, this thing chewed them up. BUT its length means it can't access some more awkward fittings.
Edit. 450nm of torque. I believe it too.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Ive a Chicago Pneumatic air gun and its the shizz!
Had a £35 Sip one before that and the bloody trigger snapped (made of plastic - buy cheap buy twice)

-Pete-

RMS Regular
i was in the same boat and bought a dewalt 110v one from a trade store on ebay. got it for peanuts too! just use it from my 3.3kv transformer, the same one i use for my rotary and its the ticket.
its meant to have about 300 lb but i dont really do too much heavy work with it, more for wheel nuts etc that its handy for spinning them on and off and then just tighten up with the breaker bar

you can pick up the mains ones a bit cheaper than battery last time i looked, but maybe its worht investing in a compressor since you can run a multitude of things from it. if i was buying now, id be going the compressor route.

even 400 quid would get you a decent compressor and a couple of half decent tools/hoses etc.

rupertfinch

RMS Regular
You not more in the line of looking for an impact wrench gun, rather than a driver? The link isn't the type of beastie that works on tight nuts, more for battering in a load of screws. On the other hand if it's a load of screws you're needing battering, work away.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.