It's a Volvo thing

ilovequo

RMS Regular
Anyone need rubber mats for a ph3 v70/xc70? Bought these about a year ago, were listed incorrectly as ph2. Brand new, still in the Volvo box. £50
5DE1E81A-FB6A-453A-B3F2-97281D703BAA.jpeg
789FA1F4-B64D-4C57-8F74-66DD64299FD6.jpeg

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
480's were always cool looking things but looked like they were on stilts. Not sure that height is right either but still looks cool.

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
Drives
C220
Indeed... Lowered a touch with the right wheels, I still love them.

My neighbour worked for Roy Paul Motors in Portadown back when these were launched. He arrived home in a black 480 Turbo one day and I was straight out to see it. Must have only been 15 or 16 at the time. He took me for a spin..... Thought it was the coolest thing.

Truth is, they rot like crazy and would be a labour of love to own..... But if I see the right one I might give in!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Best option might be one of the classic car sites. Or ask around through the Volvo owner's club, there's someone there keeping a register. Any surviving cars are rare now but they are around.

Found this if you won the lottery recently, lol. That's probably 10x in real terms what they cost new 😅

Or this in Spain:

Gambit

RMS Regular
Best option might be one of the classic car sites. Or ask around through the Volvo owner's club, there's someone there keeping a register. Any surviving cars are rare now but they are around.

Found this if you won the lottery recently, lol. That's probably 10x in real terms what they cost new 😅

Or this in Spain:

There are always a handful for sale in Rhd on your favourite 'anti social media' platform 'facetwatter' marketplace...some decent some rotten but at least they're still surfacing for sale

@Johnny_E nice wee blue one on there that he says has been garaged a lot of.its life

Always loved the illuminated driver door keyhole light up feature at night on them

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
Drives
C220
The 480 forum is probably where I'll source one when the time is right. They've got a rescue programme!

Forum members have donated parts and money to a pool - any cars passing through eBay or breakers that are too good to let scrap, they buy. They are onto "R9" rescue car #9 now. It passes through 3 sets of experts who get all the mechanical stuff, interior/electricals and body rot sorted, leaving the cars in decent cosmetic shape and fully MOT'd. They then sell the cars on the forum for a very modest price, just allowing a little over cost, to add to their war fund.

Example thread showing what they do: https://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=36768&hilit=rescue+car

This way, you get a car that's spent months with the guys who know their way round these cars. I'm watching R5 as it progresses... a black Turbo. It's a bit rotten at the minute but heading to the welder in due course and will likely get a respray. Rescue thread is here for that one: https://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=36431&hilit=rescue+car

My only worry is that I don't have much spare time these days and moving on my MX5 that hasn't broken down in 10 years.... to a ropey old 480 which breaks down for fun, I'm not sure if I can be bothered with the hassle.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
It will never be as reliable as an MX5. The 480 is knocking on 30 years old now, or more. Won't be as good to drive either. It would be purely for sentimental reasons, or for the looks, or whatever. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you want, they're cool wee cars for something different.

It will be a labour of love. No if about that.

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
Drives
C220
It will never be as reliable as an MX5. The 480 is knocking on 30 years old now, or more. Won't be as good to drive either. It would be purely for sentimental reasons, or for the looks, or whatever. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you want, they're cool wee cars for something different.

It will be a labour of love. No if about that.

Yeah - fully agree with all you've said there. I do enjoy a good thrash at the MX5 and in an ideal world I'd never sell it on, but I only have room for 1 spare/fun car and do hanker after a 480 to take to a few local shows etc. At least a rescued 480 will have had all the known trouble spots worked at. Seems they all leak, they all have dodgy instrument clusters and rot like crazy round the arches.

In the right colour and wheel spec though... I do love them and always like preserving a car. The 480 is a very rare sight nowadays and the only ones I've found in NI were all in a state of disrepair and rot.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
See that's the thing. Anything that's lived in the UK will have lived through 30-40 years of salt encrusted winters. Even if a car has been left in a barn for the last decade that's still a lot of salt. And if it's been sat for a decade then it will have other issues.

One of those rescue cars sound like a good bet as a starting point. It will still need a lot of work, spares will be hard to find, electronics will start to pack in and be difficult to replace, etc. But that's all part of the fun with old cars 😁

Whatever floats your boat and all that. An older MX5, if that's what you have, finding nice ones of them is getting hard as well. So if you do sell yours that you know, don't expect to pick up another easily.

Not saying you shouldn't, everyone needs a Volvo in their lives, lol. Just old cars are a different game 😎

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird
Indeed... Lowered a touch with the right wheels, I still love them.

My neighbour worked for Roy Paul Motors in Portadown back when these were launched. He arrived home in a black 480 Turbo one day and I was straight out to see it. Must have only been 15 or 16 at the time. He took me for a spin..... Thought it was the coolest thing.

Truth is, they rot like crazy and would be a labour of love to own..... But if I see the right one I might give in!

are the bonnets not fibreglass ??

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Apparently so!

Bonnet/nose - fibre glass.

Bumper - plastic (composite).

Still rot in wings, chassis, arches, etc. All the usual places where old cars rot. Wet and salty winters and 30-40 year-old rust protection technology. It's just what happens to old cars.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Still rot in wings, chassis, arches, etc. All the usual places where old cars rot. Wet and salty winters and 30-40 year-old rust protection technology. It's just what happens to old cars.
Rust in those places just really isn't limited to old cars though!

Any metal will corrode. Doesn't take much for a crack in seamsealer to appear and be left untreated.