Land Rover Discovery with green glass like police cars and a tiny aerial on the back

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

dannydnn

RMS Regular
They are Deffo not designed to blow the doors off. I don't think any vehicle will have a design feature like that. That an object could fly off and kill people to stop the people inside maybe getting killed !
I understand about the warrior jeep, I believe that case is still on going and could lead to changes in the driver training for such vehicles

Mercedes gull wings use explosive hinges the doors don't rip off in the crash it's after to exit the vehicle. We don't know the technology used in the cpu discos but I'm pretty sure if the doors were to come off in a normal rta without them being engineered to do so at an appropriate time I wouldn't be wanting to trust my life in one.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
They are Deffo not designed to blow the doors off. I don't think any vehicle will have a design feature like that. That an object could fly off and kill people to stop the people inside maybe getting killed !
I understand about the warrior jeep, I believe that case is still on going and could lead to changes in the driver training for such vehicles

Happened about 200 yards from my old house. Will never forget walking to get the bus the following morning (bus stop was right across the road from where it happened).

Circumstances were pretty odd and I know the taxi drivers that came across it, but I don't recall a single follow up report.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular

Don't forget James's bonds car :p

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

It would make a lot of sense for the doors of such a vehicle to come off in a serious accident, from a point of view of getting the occupants out.

On the other hand...there could be an argument for leaving them in there in case the accident was an attack, and they might be safer inside.

Or maybe the doors are just far too damn heavy for the hinges/bodywork and the ripped off without being designed to.

jimcupra

RMS Regular
Military fully armoured omegas, jags and granadas had explosive hinges fitted. That was nearly 20 years ago jags were 14 years ago, I would say these are the same. Takes serious effort to open the door if the car is parked on an incline never mind on its side.

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
90's Junk
Military fully armoured omegas, jags and granadas had explosive hinges fitted. That was nearly 20 years ago jags were 14 years ago, I would say these are the same. Takes serious effort to open the door if the car is parked on an incline never mind on its side.
Someone mentioned exploding doors and @thewhitevan has a mental image of the famous scene in the Italian Job. I'm sure the explosion wouldn't blow the (bloody) doors off, they would probably just exert enough force to separate the two.

thewhitevan

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus Eco, nova
A lot of knew ish cars have small explosive air bags beside hinges etc. for eg jags,skylines have them under the bonnet at the hinges. If the car is involved in a frontal impact and crash sensor picks it up, it will deploy airbags and force the bonnet to raise slightly at hinges just in front of windscreen and the bonnet will then be like a ramp.

thewhitevan

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus Eco, nova
Happened about 200 yards from my old house. Will never forget walking to get the bus the following morning (bus stop was right across the road from where it happened).

Circumstances were pretty odd and I know the taxi drivers that came across it, but I don't recall a single follow up report.

There has been lots of reports carried out on this, I believe it goes to court before the end of the year or early next year. Its a very serious case as I'm sure you are aware and has taken years to build up. Hopefully the families involved will get some form of closure soon.

johnboy888

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk 6 Golf Gti
There was about 10 of these omegas and a few land rovers in work today and was telling my colleague some of the interesting facts about these cars. Police officer in one of them didn't take to kindly to me pointing at a few things from a distance and decided to take my details. Hope they don't find out about that one time when i didn't pay for my sweeties...

did he say why? pointing at a few things hardly seems enough:confounded:

dannydnn

RMS Regular
A lot of knew ish cars have small explosive air bags beside hinges etc. for eg jags,skylines have them under the bonnet at the hinges. If the car is involved in a frontal impact and crash sensor picks it up, it will deploy airbags and force the bonnet to raise slightly at hinges just in front of windscreen and the bonnet will then be like a ramp.

Yes they're airbags to cushion you in a crash. A quick google search brings up pyro hinges for armoured cars to exit the vehicle it's not technology that's highly advertised but does exist. http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/audi-a8-grenade-proof

Last edited:
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.