Lanes/Targa Rallies

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Will get a look over tomorrow to assess any damage. There's a spare wheel that's done well to stay up, and something wierd going on with the steering!...

That spare wheel definitely looked interesting! Well done on the result too!

Adhilditch

RMS Member
Drives
Seat Inca
Had another excellent day spectating at yesterdays rally! Thanks very much to the organisers for giving me road and test directions and letting us watch! I can now say with pride that my (rather low) white van has completed it's first ever lanes rally stage! although I don't think it's pace was good enough to worry any of you! Really can't wait to be out amongst the drivers now though...

Here are a few of the photos that I took yesterday. The weather and scenery were simply amazing so I got a tad carried away! If anyone wants me to look through the 400 other photos for a specific car just let me know..

Cheers!

http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/Adam_Hilditch/library/Larne Lanes Rally 2014

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
OP
RallyCiaran
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
Just seen on FB that the Retro Targa has been cancelled due to lack of entries.

Yea I was surprised to hear that, there seemed to be a lot of the crews at Larne who were also doing the Retro. Bit strange to cancel it before they had got the Monday post, unless the entry was very low.

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
Yeah, I didn't see that one coming I have to say. Typical though. First one I had entered in ages!

DavyC

RMS Regular
Yeah, we've had the entry in too and are sorry it's been cancelled. Barbara emailed back explaining we had spoken to a few at Larne who wanted to make sure they got through Laharna Lanes in one piece before entering. She got a replay saying that even allowing for a few more entries this week, numbers would still be too low to justify running it.

..so, just an update on that freakish good luck I was talking about..

After taking out a front tyre on a sneaky rock hiding in the grass, we stuck on our one and only spare (Can only carry one in an MX5!) only to do this two tests later!..

15457827725_79360ac0e7_n.jpg
15270530088_6120eaf44f_n.jpg

(Thats bent and split) This was all well before lunch break! If it had got hit between two spokes I reckon it would have deformed the rim more and we'd have been out!..

Next up was the ropey steering behaviour on the last two tests... It seemed to be handling fine until going through a chicane and hitting a bump at the same time, where it took a dart for the bank, then same thing again at the very last Sq Right on test 19. Each time the steering wheel would be way off it's mark. Wondered what all was going on around the front end so pulled in on the way back to base for a look in at wishbones etc and all seemed fine. Car still felt pretty good on the road too!...
Turns out it was this!.. (all makes sense now!)

15270553798_a05fbef781.jpg

Last mechanical miracle was this...

15457168325_f51891d4e7_z.jpg

..fuel return flattened, trailed back about 12" from where it sould be and buffed to paper thin at the lowest point. Instead of being routed around the bulkhead / engine bay, it was now pulled straight!...

Really dont think there was another test left in her!..

DavyC

RMS Regular
@zafturbo ..Where were you on Saturday? Were you back at halfway house at the end? Could have walked past you or have been talking to you and wouldnt have known!

John_MK5

RMS Regular
Good man david. Hard to beat some damage to show your trying hard enough. Our passengers sill is stoved in too. Came out over the blind crest full of the rack set up for a right hander and didnt realise it was onto grass. Worked out the best I ever seen with the bit of a bank, dropped a gear and a pull of the handbrake to take it nearly backwards and glided out over 3 posts and back on track, fired it another gear and out through the gate sideways lol

DavyC

RMS Regular
The first run through that test was an eye opener John!.. Even though we'd been warned in the brief, that sheep pen was shockingly slippy, and that blind right was unreal!.. We knew that yellow ribbon wouldnt be there when we came back for the 2nd go!

What happened the diff?... broken with power and grip (would be surprised as there was f?@k all grip to be had in the morning!)... or did it get a thump on something?

John_MK5

RMS Regular
Didnt think the sheep pen was too bad. We got away on it fairly sharp and up the concrete to the crest I thought I was concrete onto gravel so gave her the big throw before the top to get her set up and bam. Wet grass and a big bank lol

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
Proper job there @DavyC lol. How either one of those didn't wreck you, i'm not sure!! shows your trying though ;). We smacked the fuel pump in larne last year and had a lovely leak down past the exhaust. How in the name of all that is good, it didn't actually manage to set something alight, i'm not sure.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
@zafturbo ..Where were you on Saturday? Were you back at halfway house at the end? Could have walked past you or have been talking to you and wouldnt have known!
No mate was only at hotel in the morning.Had my little one with me at his first rally and he thought it was fantastic,so much so he got me to take him out for a blast on Saturday night and again on Sunday night out the hill climb direction.He has my head fried with cars cars cars 24/7 lol.
Also Alhilditch I wondered were you were going when you turned up into the start of stage one lol.tbh I didn't think the wee caddy would ever have got through the lane lol as its Very low .

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
OP
RallyCiaran
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
what about the class winning black saxo @swansty & @RallyCiaran , how'd it fair mechanically? (we know body work doesnt really matter up to a point!:p) Well done on the class win too!

We loved the rally. Good long tests, and lanes rather than autotest yards, and no silly penalties.
No mechanical damage at all. The exhaust is blowing a bit more than it had been but that's it. French cars are very reliable, not like those Japanese yokes.

I wonder how many of the MX-5's have LSD's, we would like to be the highest placed car with an open diff'. Still a long way to go to catch Frank Lenehan for quickest FWD.

Mel

RMS Regular
Drives
S3
Just spotted a pic on Facebook of @John_MK5 sitting on the front of the car.......they are out with a burst diff
1743542_10152415285592939_2016316224701575944_n.jpg

Ack I could of thrown you down a cuppa:laughing:, parked up at bottom of where I live. My parents were out for dinner at the Halfway on Sat evening and said a lot of the guys were down.

Dwd

RMS Member
Drives
starlet
Hey guys, What tyres are the front runners using for these events?

Dwd

RMS Member
Drives
starlet
Thanks John, I suppose A021Rs are the way to go so.

John_MK5

RMS Regular
Nope. I use bridgestone potenzas on the front. £39 a go. And remoulds on the back. No need for fancy tyres. Makes it very expensive.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Are winter tyres allowed on the proper winter tests?

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Winter tyres are allowed for anytime of the year so long as they are road legal and aren't studded jobbies. Some people do use them year round. Gravel and forestry tyres aren't allowed at all.

It would be best to check supplementary regs though as each organising club can stipulate what they allow.

DavyC

RMS Regular
@Dwd Welcome along. Are you thinking of trying the lanes?.. or have you already been out?

Tyre choice can be a bit of a minefield and it's easy to overthink the whole thing when there could be other things to focus on (just my opinion).
Some top runners would be running the likes of Toyo R1R's and Yoko A021's, while others go by the 'cheapest black round thing' rule. As @John_MK5 said it can get expensive if your burning off two soft sticky tyres every rally.

So far we've tried Toyo T1R's and liked them, and are currently on Uniroyal Rainsport 3's and are liking them too. For reference the winning car at Larne was on Rainsport 3's.

It's also very hard to pick a good all rounder to suit the different types of test surfaces. One thing I think everyone noticed at Laharna Lanes this year, is that when it comes to a yard covered in cow sh1te, 'a tyre's a tyre'!..

Last edited: