Lanes/Targa Rallies

swervygerdy

RMS Regular
Question for the technical guys.... are twin webers banned on targa rallies? I've a 1900 205 with twin 45s that I'd love to compete in.

Reading the blue book, section 18.2.2
'Vehicle engines must have a maximum of 2 carb chokes'

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
Question for the technical guys.... are twin webers banned on targa rallies? I've a 1900 205 with twin 45s that I'd love to compete in.

Reading the blue book, section 18.2.2
'Vehicle engines must have a maximum of 2 carb chokes'
Yup.

However, you could go back to injection and enjoy reliability, fuel economy and probably more performance but you will miss the noise.

Unfortunately itbs are of the cards too.

Only way around the rule is the likes of the 20v 4AGE which came from the factory with itbs. But it must retain a plenum style intake from memory.

You could move to a single 45 and probably gain torque which would be preferential over the outright power of the twins.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Yep, I have the same problem with my 205, although it's a 1300 and came with twin webers from the factory. Complete balls of a rule but so be it, I'll just ruin the mx5 instead!

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Ballynahinch MC need some more marshals for Saturdays lanes rally if anyone is available. Club contact number is on the website if you can help.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Wee Saxo's and its owners first event tomorrow!

I haven't driven a FWD car in anger in almost 20 year's...............bit nervous.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
You will be grand. Don't slack her til you wreck her. I will be there marshaling so don't let the saxo men down

DavyC

RMS Regular
@mike150 you's will be grand!.. Go out and have fun throwing the wee car about!... dont worry if you make a balls of a test, chances are plenty of others will have too!.. oh and feel free to lift the wand and throw some shapes when you see anyone with a camera! :grinning:

We'll keep an eye out for you's, but if we're not speaking to you then enjoy your 1st Targa!(y)

Last edited:

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Thats one of the problems with a Saxo, the handbrake is s##t!

Looking forward to it..............packed lunch made(y)

peespeed

RMS Regular
I take it everyone is still drying out after yesterday.....oh hang most of you were inside cars while me, the marshals and timekeepers got wet lol

Great days craic and the rain failed to dampen the spirits too much and added a few extra features to a few tests...namely the water splash on Robins Farm. I think heros of the day must be John Kelly and Mark Faulkner who had no roof on the wee Midget as they were expecting a dry day, it'll be brought in future. Well done to @DavyC on a great result, chatting to a few people during the day and lots of people impressed by your performance on Saturday and on other events.......a win might not be too far away and you'll be playing with the big boys

DavyC

RMS Regular
Cheers Peter!

Nice to hear of the kind comments. We're not going take things for granted yet tho.
It was another great days rallying and really well run with perfect milage between tests. Nice mixture of tests too and not to complicated. The fact that there were lots of tests done fewer times meant drivers relied more on thier navi's (I did anyway). We had no idea how we were doing throughout the day and I reckoned I'd been making too many dopey little mistakes and was being a bit too untidy at times. We were genuinely surprised when we handed our last time card in and seen we were 3rd by test 17!.. Only thing then was I had lost us a chunk of time on the penultimate test so was expecting to drop a couple of places... Unfortunately we had to run on to get the hair and make up done for Larne MC's 60th anniversary dinner.. It was really tense / nervewrecking not knowing how we'd done until really late on that evening! Was sorry we missed any craic afterwards too!

John and Mark definately deserved a special award for that!.. was hilarious seeing them trundle round with the big umbrella for a roof, only to put it down for a test and blast through that mini-lake on Robins and get covered!

The other heroes had to be all the marshalls and timekeepers (@swansty )... (and photographers too!).. The rain quit for about 3 minutes the whole day!.. A well deserved 'feet up infront of the fire' after that!

@mike150 What did you make of your 1st Targa?.. How'd the wee saxo get on?

Last edited:

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Great day very well organised.

The stages were a culture shock, very tight and intense. My co driver couldn't keep up sometimes and I couldn't react fast enough sometimes. It was all 1st and 2nd gear and I don't think we were over 50mph all day.
I didn't like the forest much just because it was so rough and hard on the car so I was taking it a bit easier due to that. You have to have a small agaile car with a good handbrake. Speed and power doesn't matter too much. The car we have could be improved but it's fine for now.

Entry is going in for 22nd:grinning: im the co driver that day. We are taking it in turns to drive.

Last edited:

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Had a great day on Saturday. Well done to @DavyC great result!

Was a well organised day with good tests all round, certainly no prisoners taken with the chicanes either! Loved in the forest, wished there was more tests in there. Looking forward to the boxing day now, hopefully have my own car finished for it.

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
OP
RallyCiaran
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
myself and @RallyCiaran both use REIS
http://www.reis.co.uk/

I'm 35, and have a GTI6 insured as a rally car with them for £220. An Extra £60 covers you on event, saving you the extra £15 your charged per event for insurance. This policy also includes road miles, so your grand travelling to/from event. Commuting is a big no no though.

I've been with McGrady this last few years. They had me with Competition Car Insurance last year, and they have me with Jelf this year. £275 including on event cover. My rally car insurance has always included commuting, it's handy to have a spare car the odd time it is needed.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
They are saying R18 doesn't count which means any car is eligible and also specifically banning helmets which is not a blue book rule.

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
Bodywork must represent the manufacturer’s
original profile and may include any optional extras
available directly from the manufacturer.
Bumpers must be fitted.
Paintwork must be one colour or manufacturer’s
original colour scheme. No primer is to be visible.
Vehicles must not have wheel arch extensions,
unless fitted by the manufacturer as a standard item to
the body shape.
All major internal trim as fitted to the body type
by its original manufacturer when offering it for sale
must be retained. This trim will include headlinings,
inside door panels, carpets and rear seats

Vehicle engines must have:
A maximum of
four cylinders.
A maximum of
two carburettor chokes (two
single or one double).
A maximum of
one camshaft per bank of
cylinders.
Engines with more than one camshaft per bank
of cylinders may be used providing that they were
originally fitted with fuel injection and that the fuel
injection system complete with plenum chamber and
throttle body is retained unmodified.
For diesel and petrol engines under 1500cc
actual capacity, forced induction is permitted providing
that the complete original induction system is retained
unmodified, other than the replacement of the air filter
element.

Fuel injection may be fitted where it was
standard equipment by the manufacturer for that
engine type and where the original plenum chamber
and throttle body is retained for that engine type.

These are the rules that are waived (with or without MSA consent) So it is a free-for-all.

However, I would tend to agree these are silly rules anyway, but bodywork should be clean and presentable and lacking in livery. We are not supposed to look like rally cars if we wish to keep the public on side.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
I would disagree on the lack of livery to keep the public onside. There is no competitive element on public roads. Just like a stage rally, there should be no dicking about on the roads between tests. That alone is all that's needed to keep the public on side.

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
OP
RallyCiaran
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
These are the rules that are waived (with or without MSA consent) So it is a free-for-all.

However, I would tend to agree these are silly rules anyway, but bodywork should be clean and presentable and lacking in livery. We are not supposed to look like rally cars if we wish to keep the public on side.

Oh yea I'm not a fan of the restrictions either, I think it keeps away a lot of interesting cars that I would like to see taking part.