Lanes/Targa Rallies

DavyC

RMS Regular
..First post here so Hi all!..

@swansty thanks for lookin fella.

Iv been showing her the tulips & a few in-cars & she may have bottled it!!

The girlfriend and myself had our first outing down in Dungannon. We were both excited and looking forward to it, but bricking it at the same time!.. We're total amateurs so really didnt know what to expect or how we'd get on... I was worried I'd be wiping cones out left, right and centre and binning it somewhere infront of on lookers, and she was worried about the diagrams / commands which was worrying me that we'd be arguing before we'd even started!.. Well, to say we had a ball and are now hooked is an understatement!.. I managed to break the car so we didnt finish but it was great fun all the same, and we're both counting down the days until the PMC rally on the 31st here!

We got there nice and early, got signed on etc then sat with a pen and highlighter and scribbled a few notes on the diagrams. It really helped to know what way to go / what was coming up next, but if you loose track on the diagram you'll still manage no problem! For me, the biggest lesson I learned is that it's worth sacrificing a little speed to be a lot tidier!... lol!.

Hope you's have as much craic on your first outing as we did!

Another MX-5 :p

..I wont say what we're in then! :-#

Last edited:

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
@DavyC Wecome along.
The targas are great fun and your right, neat and tidy is the way to make up time. Dungannon's event was fantastic, probably the best I have done. Police Targa was good last year so hoping for more of the same.

DavyC

RMS Regular
Cheers!

I loved the variety surfaces at dungannon... Fast concrete / tarmac to rough, steep farm lanes to a forest test (where I got us bogged at that last tight left!), and even a blast through the gravel pit / quarry!! The diff took a thump early on in the day and eventually broke loose so it was a tow home for us.

We were wondering if we've started on a really good one and that others might not be just as good. We're excited either way tho!

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
..the biggest lesson I learned is that it's worth sacrificing a little speed to be a lot tidier!... lol!.

Your already well ahead of me if you've figured out that one on your first event. Took me a few years for the penny to drop on that one lol.

We were wondering if we've started on a really good one and that others might not be just as good. We're excited either way tho!

Some are tighter than others, but I've never come away from one and not enjoyed it to be honest. As @swansty says, the PMC event was excellent last year, so i reckon your in for a good day!

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
..First post here so Hi all!..

The girlfriend and myself had our first outing down in Dungannon. We were both excited and looking forward to it, but bricking it at the same time!.. We're total amateurs so really didnt know what to expect or how we'd get on... I was worried I'd be wiping cones out left, right and centre and binning it somewhere infront of on lookers, and she was worried about the diagrams / commands which was worrying me that we'd be arguing before we'd even started!.. Well, to say we had a ball and are now hooked is an understatement!.. I managed to break the car so we didnt finish but it was great fun all the same, and we're both counting down the days until the PMC rally on the 31st here!

We got there nice and early, got signed on etc then sat with a pen and highlighter and scribbled a few notes on the diagrams. It really helped to know what way to go / what was coming up next, but if you loose track on the diagram you'll still manage no problem! For me, the biggest lesson I learned is that it's worth sacrificing a little speed to be a lot tidier!... lol!.

Hope you's have as much craic on your first outing as we did!

..I wont say what we're in then! :-#

@Lyons

KevM

RMS Regular
Cheers!

The diff took a thump early on in the day and eventually broke loose so it was a tow home for us

@DavyC Just on that, what suspension are you running? The MX5 I have coming (all-being-well) is on coil-overs and I intend to lift it a fair bit to avoid damage!

Last edited:

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Ive been seriously considering starting this myself. I would love to do some sort of motorsport and feel this would be best suited to me.

Sounds like you were as anxious as I am before hand, but also that you had a blast.

I'm in no way a racer on the road, and have never done anything like this before so am afraid of embarrassing myself in front of would-be McCraes etc.

Finding a navigator is my biggest hurdle at the minute!

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
Ive been seriously considering starting this myself. I would love to do some sort of motorsport and feel this would be best suited to me.

Sounds like you were as anxious as I am before hand, but also that you had a blast.

I'm in no way a racer on the road, and have never done anything like this before so am afraid of embarrassing myself in front of would-be McCraes etc.

Finding a navigator is my biggest hurdle at the minute!

I told you, I will do a few events with you to get you going dude.

Do not worry about embarrassing yourself, no-one is out there judging you, its purely on the timesheets. No-one is expected to be quick when learning.

Also, I think @RComms might agree, a GTI-6 may not be the best choice, as you are limited in steering lock in one direction which can make life a nightmare, you also don't need 6 gears :p

DavyC

RMS Regular
@Super The whole car's standard, and I wont be in the position to be spending lots on it so any mods will just be whatever I can do myself! I made a sump guard and since dungannon have got the diff mount welded and fitted a diff guard, but that's it... oh, stuck an air filter on it, (but that's really only for a little noise) and a smaller steering wheel.

@Lyons I think if you're the type to enjoy a little spirited driving and have any sense at all for what a car is doing below you then you will be fine. There's all levels of talent taking part from autotest / rally pro's to amateurs like ourselves, so these events really do seem to be for everyone, and I think even some of the pro's would agree that anyone can make mistakes. When I got bogged in the forest I was lucky that others could still get through, tho I still felt a bit wick! The marshalls and organisers were more than pleasant tho and got us sorted again.

I think the only way you'd go home gutted is if you broke something early on.

My only concern now is that there were no autotest type tests at Dungannon so I'm still a bit unsure how we'll do in among a load of white poles!... We could be in for an eye opener / embarrassment yet! lol

Last edited:

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
When I got bogged in the forest I was lucky that others could still get through, tho I still felt a bit wick!

We've all been there

21 minutes in a field watching the rest of the bais go by.

Made up our time and still came home in 3rd from memory. A lot of effort to regain the time though

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
Also, I think @RComms might agree, a GTI-6 may not be the best choice, as you are limited in steering lock in one direction which can make life a nightmare, you also don't need 6 gears :p

WHAT!?!?! How dare you say such things about the mighty pug :p. Admittedly.... 'maybe' a 106/saxo, 'might' be slightly better, but I've had an absolute hoot in the three ohh. Its set some great times and had some good results to.... just don't ask me to go around to many right hand 360's.....

I think the only way you'd go home gutted is if you broke something early on.

My only concern now is that there were no autotest type tests at Dungannon so I'm still a bit unsure how we'll do in among a load of white poles!... We could be in for an eye opener / embarrassment yet! lol

The 'autotesty' ones have become much less common. I can't even remember the last time I saw any white poles. They are also silly simple compared to a regular autotest and there is no reversing or any of that malarkey. Nothing to worry about.

I sat in a field in larne once (i think possibly the same test as Pete is talking about) and had to have the test held while a tractor came an retrieved me lol. all part of the fun.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D

Do not worry about embarrassing yourself, no-one is out there judging you, its purely on the timesheets. No-one is expected to be quick when learning.

Have we talked about this?! I have no recollection of that! Andy said you and Kerry did this and I've been intending on chatting to you about it the next time you are out loitering.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D

Part of this is down to wanting a 306 though, rallying is just a good excuse for it :p.

KevM

RMS Regular
@RComms The 3-oh has been on the go for as long as I can remember you!!

Chances are, if you dont end up in a field at some point, you really arent trying!! lol :confounded:

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
Have we talked about this?! I have no recollection of that! Andy said you and Kerry did this and I've been intending on chatting to you about it the next time you are out loitering.

Kerry navigates for Andy when she isnt preggers.

I nav for Will, hence the mass of videos i post of him.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
After having to duck out of the intbd rally at christmas due to the son writing off the car and nearly himself a few days before, i'm still looking for a way to get out there for a few targas. I might have a chance later in the year as the daughter is about to finish uni and start work so her mg zr will be surplus and virtually worthless... :laughing:
Might see if i can blag a cheap cage and have some craic in it. Only problem is its bright yellow with white x-powah stripes and a bit of rust around the front wings. Purfik. :cool:

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
After having to duck out of the intbd rally at christmas due to the son writing off the car and nearly himself a few days before, i'm still looking for a way to get out there for a few targas. I might have a chance later in the year as the daughter is about to finish uni and start work so her mg zr will be surplus and virtually worthless... :laughing:
Might see if i can blag a cheap cage and have some craic in it. Only problem is its bright yellow with white x-powah stripes and a bit of rust around the front wings. Purfik. :cool:

Keep the cage out in the mean time dude, unless of course you are going for seats and harnesses too.

I only say this as you probably already know a cage can be more dangerous than good without helmets on and realistically 99% of incidents are at less than 30mph anyway

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
This is true. Good advice. ;)
Team yellow in better times before the tinworm moved in..

DavyC

RMS Regular
Seems like the perfect opportunity right there. It'd be a shame to waste it! Forget the cage, order a Spills kit & go!

..Agreed!.. And reduce risk of a roll over by removing the 10kg's of swinging mass off the rear view mirror! :p

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
First job will be to clear all hanging debris from the mirror. :oops:
Recently took it for a test and stowed all the hanging crap in the glovebox, was back up 5 minutes after the car was returned..:rolleyes:
Be a couple of months yet but I've got dibs on it.

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
OP
RallyCiaran
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
As I said in big-pete's thread on starting motorsport, don't think about it too much, just get a car and get out doing it.

I run a mechanically standard Nova on Targa events, no sump guards or anything and I haven't managed to break anything yet. @swansty runs a mechanically standard Saxo and sets great times in it. Don't think you need a highly modified car to take part. a standard car does the job spot on.

If you are buying a car to do Targa rallies I think a Micra would be a good starter car. Or if you want rwd a BMW compact can be bought for very cheap money these days. Just remember that you have to stick to 4 cylinder cars to meet the regulations.