Drives
Nissan 350z

da.murf

RMS Regular
OP
da.murf
Drives
Nissan 350z
Nowhere is an electric car mentioned in the full article. Seems like any fire of this magnitude will be blamed on electric cars cause petrol engines one never go on fire….
Yeah not mentioned in sky article. I attached it more just for info and a video. Other stuff it chat as mentioned about the speed it spread. Read that engines where on the scene very quickly etc

purplea4T

RMS Regular
US studies show there were 1,529.9 fires per 100k for ICE vehicles and just 25.1 fires per 100k sales for electric vehicles.

In Sweden a study showed a petrol or diesel car in was around 20 times more likely to catch fire than an electric vehicle.

There’s been a lot of scaremongering recently in relation to EV cars and their safety flaws or failures, I wonder what really is driving that thinking.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Luton's own fire service will have there within minutes, local authority full time on scene in a similar time.

Something significant has happened to allow them to lose that so quickly eg construction of the building could make it a wind tunnel therefore turning it into a venturi fuelled blowtorch.

If it was an EV, they were beaten before they arrived. My worse fear EV fire in basement car park like Vic Square or Arc Apartments

Last edited:

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
US studies show there were 1,529.9 fires per 100k for ICE vehicles and just 25.1 fires per 100k sales for electric vehicles.

In Sweden a study showed a petrol or diesel car in was around 20 times more likely to catch fire than an electric vehicle.

There’s been a lot of scaremongering recently in relation to EV cars and their safety flaws or failures, I wonder what really is driving that thinking.
It’s gammon propaganda.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Screenshot_20231011_081823_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20231011_081854_Facebook.jpg

da.murf

RMS Regular
OP
da.murf
Drives
Nissan 350z
Is that going to be a case of protect surrounding buildings rather than try and put that one out?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Nightmare. Not just a case of driving the other cars out now either, they’ll not be allowed in for ages until the structure is assessed.

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
The RFFS in work went into overdrive when those videos of electric scooters going on fire went viral. Demanded that remote fireman switches be installed for the charging stations for the cleaners equipment on site.

All the equipment uses lead acid batteries plus isolation of the chargers is fruitless if the batteries are already on fire.

Lithium-ion is a different story.