Maze Festival of Speed (Balmoral Park)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
It's on this weekend and haven't seen much press about this show until very recently and none on here.

Is it going to be worth going to? It looks good and I remember it when it was on at Ards being a great show.

EP82JM

RMS Regular
Was wondering this myself.

Haven't heard it mentioned,I live beside the maze and only know about it because I saw a sign coming home from work on the motorway.

Is it still £10 if you pay at the gate does anyone know?

Gemma

RMS Regular
You can put your car in under wheels for kris...£5 for one day and £7 for two days....passenger for one day is 12.50 then for the 2nd day it's £2 donation

You can contact Carryduff car meets to get your car into it if interested :grinning:

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
FOSMAP-Final-Final.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Festival-of-Speed-NI/344867085554459?fref=ts

http://www.festivalofspeedni.com/

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
Sounds good from what I've heard, I'll likely be lying around the Formula student car half asleep after getting up at 5 on Saturday lol

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Going on the Sunday. Arrived home last week to find the Mrs had bought tickets for us all to go. :cool:

Gaz86

RMS Regular
Last time I was at it, approximately 2/3 years ago it was dire and the price of food at the food vans was plain extortionate! Best bit was getting into the aircraft hangar to see all the old planes. Maybe it's a different organiser now though, don't know. Won't bother my arse personally though

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Last time I was at it, approximately 2/3 years ago it was dire and the price of food at the food vans was plain extortionate! Best bit was getting into the aircraft hangar to see all the old planes. Maybe it's a different organiser now though, don't know. Won't bother my arse personally though

I believe that that was the first year that it was held in the Maze park an as a result there were a lot of lessons to be learned in maximising the use of the space available.
This years show looks to be better organised and im personally looking forward to it.

Looking forward to seeing the bowler wildcat again too, tho i've already had the pleasure of a passenger run in it at a previous event!

Gaz86

RMS Regular
I believe that that was the first year that it was held in the Maze park an as a result there were a lot of lessons to be learned in maximising the use of the space available.
This years show looks to be better organised and im personally looking forward to it.

Looking forward to seeing the bowler wildcat again too, tho i've already had the pleasure of a passenger run in it at a previous event!

Might have been yeah, and yes there were a LOT of lessons to be learned! Fingers crossed they've got their act together coz I felt violated after the last time lol

PeteMoore

RMS Regular

Same organiser.

As far as I was concerned the only "dire" bit about it was the spectator crossing for the stage.

It managed to display a wide variety of Motorsport from grass roots up to Group B rallying. The price of food is extortionate everywhere so that's hardly something you can hold against the organisers.

A lot of small lessons were learnt though and I'm certain this years event will be great. Certainly a lot more deserving of its name than other "festival of speed" events that have been here that only showcased one or two disciplines alongside a car show.

Dire is a term I would use to describe the Belfast Motor Show.

Gaz86

RMS Regular
Same organiser.

As far as I was concerned the only "dire" bit about it was the spectator crossing for the stage.

It managed to display a wide variety of Motorsport from grass roots up to Group B rallying. The price of food is extortionate everywhere so that's hardly something you can hold against the organisers.

A lot of small lessons were learnt though and I'm certain this years event will be great. Certainly a lot more deserving of its name than other "festival of speed" events that have been here that only showcased one or two disciplines alongside a car show.

Dire is a term I would use to describe the Belfast Motor Show.

The spectator crossing was bad, as was the layout, the catering, the way the show cars were organised. The rally stage was ok.
£8 for a burger and chip???? Wasn't me that got one but one of our group went to get food and that's what they were asked for. I've never seen the likes of that at a bloody catering van anywhere!! I'd be looking a table, a pint and food for that!

Well I hope it's improved a lot, I'll let you lot be the guinea pigs though ;)

garyo

RMS Regular
Free in for kids under 12 too I see so think I'll take the wee man up a spin.

I had a look at the 'running order' on the website there, but it's not exactly overflowing with specific times of anything, apart from the motorbike show, everything else it just '10:00 to 18:00'.

Excuse my ignorance, but does there be a good bit constantly goin on, or is it the type of thing there'll be the odd scheduled display/show and a lot of standing about waiting in between? Just checking if it'll be enough to keep him interested or if he'll be bored 30mins after we land.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6

I had thought it was last year but thinking back, it probably was 2-3 years ago. Getting into the Aviation hangar and chatting to all the old boys was definitely the only good thing I took away from it.

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
@garyo the drifting, autosolo, autotests, safari comp, MX, should all be continuous throughout the day. The rally stage I believe will also be live for the most part. There is also live music and stage acts.

That's as much as I know. Should be more on the fb page.

I won my tickets so I'll be going at some point over the weekend.

garyo

RMS Regular
Cheers for that @PeteMoore , just what I needed to know. Will check out the fb page too.

With him being free in, a tenner between the two of us is cheaper than we'd get into the pool for an hour or somethin, so should put the day away rightly. Forecast isn't looking too bad, and I'll give him an extra Weetabix in the morn so he's not lookin for one of these £8 burgers!

Jono

RMS Regular
I'm at it just now with my daughters yay watching the rallying, it's actually a decent enough event by the looks of it, only issue I have so far is the price of food, there's no prices up at te van we went to and just been asked for £8 for a gravy chip and bottle of coke - the gravy chip came in half a burger box BTW so not like a decent portion - so he was told to stick it, I don't mind paying say £5 for that tops but that's just ripping the arse out of it.

That aside there seems to be plenty going on and with a chance to get into the UAS too, it's ok for £10.

Forgot too say that the price doesn't include a programme, it's another £5 as is the parking.

Last edited:

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
Nothing more needs said really...........................................

Except the rain was bad, and that from the road you would think theres nothing on at the Maze. My mate that lives beside it didn't know it was on until I told him on Thursday! Bad promotion is the only reason there are not more people there both visitors and owners:oops:

20140830_144837_zps1d3ed7e5.jpg

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
Never seen such a variety of rally cars in my life but yes, food was definitely a rip off. As far as I could it seemed to be one franchise more or less had all of the chip vans which meant there wasn't enough competition to keep the prices half reasonable.
With all the space I thought there would have been more cars in the show and shine section though.

johnboy888

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk 6 Golf Gti
surprised theres not been more promo for this tbh. did see an ad on utv the other nite and a small piece in an article in the Belfast tele from Sammy Hamill .

maybe they are hoping everyone will know its on :confounded:
it could be argued that motorsport fans and car enthusiasts will be aware of it but if they want to appeal to the wider public surely more advertising should be done

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.