Motorbike CBT thread - Ask all related questions here

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
When i did my bike test there was a group in with Mike doing the CBT, they were running through the check list as quick as possible,
The instructors are smart enough to know who needs to be taught on the bikes and who can drive, who's are just there to get it out of the way.

Plus theres a good bit of craic with Mikes group

What he said.

big-lew18

RMS Regular
OP
big-lew18
Drives
really well!
So I done the CBT course today. 9:30 to 5 with Mike Bambrick. Well with a woman Alison who helps him out. Great days craic! And what an eye opener! Certainly a worth while course! Not so much if you plan on doing you test anyhow but certainly for people who just want to ride a scooter and didn't have to do it until it became compulsory.

It sort of counts as your first few lessons so you would have had to spend the same amount anyhow.
Deffinatly reccomended Mike, well Alison, for anybody thinking of it! Now to get the theory and the rest booked!

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
I'm doing mine next Friday with Mike, looking forward to it! Haven't really driven a proper bike before but hopefully I can get the swing of it ok. Did you have all your own equipment?

big-lew18

RMS Regular
OP
big-lew18
Drives
really well!
I'd never been on the road before but I'd been on scrams. I have my own helmet, they have everything else, including helmets. But their waterproofs left a lot to be desired! When I done it today there was 2 assessors there. 1 of which actually help designed the CBT! So it was a bit more nerve wrecking!lol. They were there checking on instructors ability.

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
Went through mine today in the pouring rain and blustery gales - a bit wobbly at first but soon got the hang of it. Was finished up by 3:30 with my certificate in hand! Booked the theory for Wednesday afternoon, from doing a sample one on the phone it is fairly straight forward although I probably should study at least a bit for it.

Anyone have any online and free recommendations?

big-lew18

RMS Regular
OP
big-lew18
Drives
really well!
I'm doing mine on monday! Lol. I have the disc and book. It's seems straight forward. I got drenched when I don my cbt last Friday.lol

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Well done Kerzo, esp in the gales today nevermind rain :scream: If you google the online theory test you'll get a couple of example vids :grinning:

Dont do lots of clicking as if fapping off, that goes against you. You can potentialkly click up to 5 times in 10 seconds at some points, but you'll see what i mean if get a vid. The questions you should know come on now :p

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Good luck with it,
I got a notification saying i had clicked too many times for one clip and that it would be voided,
Still passed tho, piece of piss, i revised for the car theory test the night before, was thrown by the bike questions but common sense prevailed lol

Also Alison who works with Mike is great craic, had a lesson with her and she was pure banter the whole time,

Curt

RMS Regular
Drives
B5.5
Just reading the info in relation to the new rules for January 2013. The way I read it, the new rules are only 'staged' for young riders, and they are introducing 'Direct Access' for 24+ year olds. So you sit your cbt, theory and as long as youre over 24 you can sit a test on a 600cc and gain access to unrestricted bikes. Seems decent enough.

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/index/in...ules-for-mopeds-motorcycles-and-tricycles.htm

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
Hmm that is interesting. If I read it correctly does it also allow people who pass their test before the 19th January complete the direct access to be unrestricted?

big-lew18

RMS Regular
OP
big-lew18
Drives
really well!
Yeah. My instructor said I can do a direct access course. I'm not going to bother tho! Got my theory yesterday mornin :grinning: just the 2 practicals to do. Canny wait!

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
Nice one, I am in tomorrow lunchtime so hopefully I will get a pass :grinning:

Any idea on waiting times for the tests?

big-lew18

RMS Regular
OP
big-lew18
Drives
really well!
I know there's a cancellation on teusday in portadown. For the off road. I think it depends on which centre u go to. I think portadown is 2 weeks ish. I might go for this cancellation on Tuesday. They don't do weekend tests >:worried:

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
I still think its a bit nuts not to have some form of restriction time for anybody even over 24, even if it was for 6 months or a year. Everyone is still learning at that point regardless of age. Mind you, most folk dont even restrict anyway so is it that big a deal? :p:innocent:

lighter7, i think it was you done the direct access in GB, does it restrict you or not even if you can ride a bigger bike, i cant recall even though i know a couple who've done it there :confounded:

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
Yeo - passed my theory at lunchtime. Got a couple of curveball questions in the exam part, the hazard perception thing was odd but simple enough!

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
Just wondering now whether it is worth holding out a few months for Direct Access over here? I don't think I will have a big power bike anyway in the next couple of years as I would prefer to improve my skills first but may be nice to have the option.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Thats what i was thinking, but it'll be some cost im sure for that again on top of everything else (n)

big-lew18

RMS Regular
OP
big-lew18
Drives
really well!
Just wondering now whether it is worth holding out a few months for Direct Access over here? I don't think I will have a big power bike anyway in the next couple of years as I would prefer to improve my skills first but may be nice to have the option.

My thoughts exactly! Afaik you can do direct access here? No? I would rather have a restricted/small bike for a while than climb onto a R1 thinking your Bertie big balls and rotivating yourself

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
are the two parts of the main bike test done at one time ? ie. the manoeuvres and the on road test, or do you book those separately ?

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
what a load of balls (n)

two separate fees then too i assume... effin gangsters

big-lew18

RMS Regular
OP
big-lew18
Drives
really well!
Yup.and there's no point booking them at the same time because if you fail the off road then you can't attempt the on road. Racketeering!

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
that's the gheyest thing I ever heard

Far from making it safer i think ill be that pissed off by the time i FINALLY get the test i'll ride home full coal and likely write off every car i meet on the way !

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Dont see how its ghey? If you **** up the off road you're not fit to be on the road yet due to not having basic handling and could coup in the middle of the road or not be able to turn a corner and BLAM, more likely (allegedly) to turn into a truck and become another statistic to enforce ramps. So dont be so selfish to make us have more of them :p