VW CC
Only when i choose to use it and not be my usual commanche reprobate :p

big-lew18

RMS Regular
OP
big-lew18
Drives
really well!
I think it's a good system too! Especially the cbt now! I've had 2 friends seriously hurt and 1 killed. All on L plates when they were 16/17. Sure it's more money but it's safer too IMO. My brother done his bike test 10 years ago and looking at what I have to do now he said its better.

My brother is also thinking about getting a bike again along with me as he hasn't had a bike in about 7 years. He's having problems getting insurance as he hasn't done his cbt! A lot of places won't even quote him!

dross432

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx sti,
my first bike was a ristricted cbr600rr3, in away its crazy but when you start getting more confident with it u learn to progressively ride. i found due to that my riding was alot smoother as i had to go like the clappers to keep up but not use the brakes or id loose all my 60mph sir lol :laughing:. once the ristricter came out i was still able to do this but as it is that bit quicker to and fro 60 sir :laughing: it meant the brakes where on alot more than before. up too you's what you go for as long as you enjoy it and ride safe.. pretend everyone is out to kill you or knock you off is a good thought when driving near cars lol

lighter7

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E36/Disco3
I still think its a bit nuts not to have some form of restriction time for anybody even over 24, even if it was for 6 months or a year. Everyone is still learning at that point regardless of age. Mind you, most folk dont even restrict anyway so is it that big a deal? :p:innocent:

lighter7, i think it was you done the direct access in GB, does it restrict you or not even if you can ride a bigger bike, i cant recall even though i know a couple who've done it there :confounded:

Yeah I did the Direct Access, when I got my N.Irish licence back after sending it away it says on it, Direct Access Test completed in GB, restrictions do not apply :grinning:

lighter7

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E36/Disco3
My thoughts exactly! Afaik you can do direct access here? No? I would rather have a restricted/small bike for a while than climb onto a R1 thinking your Bertie big balls and rotivating yourself

Awkward.... as soon as i passed my test i was on a R1 :confounded: lol.

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Bike will only go as fast as you tell it.
But then again, the throttle twists the whole way to the stop for a reason ;) Its all well and good saying you'll take it easy for a week/month/year or whatever, then the first time you have it out you throw triple digit speeds on her no sweat. I was one of these people and I know for a fact I'm not alone. IMO I feel the biggest cause of near misses/crashes after passing the test is not outright speed, but lack of confidence in the machine or yourself, especially in cornering. If you show the bike who's boss and not the other way round it'll be fine.

Hel

RMS Regular
But then again, the throttle twists the whole way to the stop for a reason ;) Its all well and good saying you'll take it easy for a week/month/year or whatever, then the first time you have it out you throw triple digit speeds on her no sweat. I was one of these people and I know for a fact I'm not alone. IMO I feel the biggest cause of near misses/crashes after passing the test is not outright speed, but lack of confidence in the machine or yourself, especially in cornering. If you show the bike who's boss and not the other way round it'll be fine.

For sure. The offroad test should take place at kirkistown with a mandatory amount of laps done to show you can corner. Figures of 8s are useless to most unless youre stuck circling tiny town.

dross432

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx sti,
loving that idea, would make so much more sense. first time i went out after my test.... ok it had snowed and was balltic but still i was crapping myself but riding most of the winter coming into summer was awsome confidence was booming by then.... also i recommend good tyres are a must on a motorcycle, they aren't just a set of tyres its what keeping you stuck to the road doing silly speeds like 60mph round corners :laughing:

dross432

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx sti,
ano but if by accident you maybe got up to 61mph youd really want a good set or bridgestone/dunlop/perrili/metzler/,michelen lol

Reactions: Hel

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
I know there's a cancellation on teusday in portadown. For the off road. I think it depends on which centre u go to. I think portadown is 2 weeks ish. I might go for this cancellation on Tuesday. They don't do weekend tests :mad:

Did you phone the Craigavon test centre directly or have to go through the DVANI to see about cancellations. Got my off road booked for 17th July but wouldn't mind getting it done a bit sooner.

big-lew18

RMS Regular
OP
big-lew18
Drives
really well!
Lol. Did you take the early morning booking? I looked on Friday and there was 3 slots for 17th July then when I actually booked it on Saturday there was only 2 slots left so I'm booked for 11:00am on 17th. Mike told me about a cancellation

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
lol I am 10:30, booked it on Saturday myself! I'll maybe see you about then!

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
I had one on Saturday and have another one for next Monday - hopefully I will just get to brush up on some of the manoeuvres then.

big-lew18

RMS Regular
OP
big-lew18
Drives
really well!
I had 1 last Thursday. Just done manouvres. Straight forward enough. Then was booked for this thursday but that's been put off until next Thursday. I do mine out of Philip mccallens in Lisburn. Thought when doing the on road lessons I might come up to Allens Honda so I can do the actual test routes.

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
I know everyone is different etc, but after the CBT how many lessons would you roughly take before doing the off road, and then would you do more before the on road ?

scoobyman

RMS Regular
Drives
skyline
I had 1 last Thursday. Just done manouvres. Straight forward enough. Then was booked for this thursday but that's been put off until next Thursday. I do mine out of Philip mccallens in Lisburn. Thought when doing the on road lessons I might come up to Allens Honda so I can do the actual test routes.
why do u need to do the test routes they change them all the time

big-lew18

RMS Regular
OP
big-lew18
Drives
really well!
I know everyone is different etc, but after the CBT how many lessons would you roughly take before doing the off road, and then would you do more before the on road ?

Not sure depends on the person really. I've had 1 and I am aiming for another 2 roughly, before offroad then 3 maybe 4 before on road? Depending on what the instructor reckons.

why do u need to do the test routes they change them all the time

I suppose there's no point in the motorcycle test but when I done my lorry tests and the car too, it was handy to do the common routes to be aware of tricky corners, sudden changes in lanes/ speed limits, things that could catch you out. As I'm not from Craigavon where I'll be doing my test im not 100% savvy with ALL the roads. I have delivered around 99% of roads with work and can get my way to anywhere. But my speed limit/ lane discipline wouldnt be the best. Don't want to fail the test on something stupid which could have been covered doing a test route