My RB26 260Z Project

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Looks unreal an im sure it goes well too :grinning: Real credit to you. After building my E30 I really do dread to think how much this costs you.
Thanks

Regarding costs - you don't want to know, it was worth it all though, it's so much fun to drive.

You heading to Mondello tomorrow? Atom could be jap, it has a Jap engine.

evo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
No im not going to bother mate. Im going to go to the octane track day thou next month at mondello.

So long as you think its worth it that's the main thing, I couldn't help but think I was firing money away with the E30 but I havnt regretted buying the atom yet for one minute :grinning:

chrisd1

RMS Regular
Drives
AE86 / EF Civic
Is it carbon wrap?? @EF Ian What about the rear spoiler? Got a bit of info you may like, will talk more at Mondello in the morning (y)

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
It was a pleasure to finally catch up with you today. One thing is for sure the car is a credit to you. I spent a few hours today drooling over it. I hope you had a safe journey back up the road again and that you didn't run into to much traffic.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Had a great time at Mondello, did over 400 miles in two days and the car performed perfectly, good drifting action, lots of lovely cars to see and good people to talk to. Could hardly get near my car most of the time with the crowds around the bay, picked up a few scratches on the wings but nothing that can't buff out, don't mind too much, I'm glad people were enjoying looking at the conversion.

So long as you think its worth it that's the main thing, I couldn't help but think I was firing money away with the E30 but I havnt regretted buying the atom yet for one minute :grinning:
You'll not loose any money on the Atom, and I don't see how anyone can regret buying at Atom (although clearly some do which is why there is often lots for sale with very little mileage, weirdos, I'd be in mine all the time if I had one)

Is it carbon wrap?? @EF Ian What about the rear spoiler? Got a bit of info you may like, will talk more at Mondello in the morning (y)
The rear panels are carbon wrap, 3M Di-noc, the spoiler is real carbon. Unfortunatly the wrap is lifting away in the sun where I had to stretch it a LOT to fit it, I'll be ordering real carbon ones this week now that I know it looks good, just hope the fitment will be ok, otherwise I'll have to get the plastic ones carbon skinned.

Good talking to you today, pity it was so busy its hard to find people you know.

It was a pleasure to finally catch up with you today. One thing is for sure the car is a credit to you. I spent a few hours today drooling over it. I hope you had a safe journey back up the road again and that you didn't run into to much traffic.
Thanks a lot. Glad you liked it, just sorry I only met you when I was leaving, would have liked to talk for longer about our builds. Had a good journey back, for an old girl she really eats up the miles, motorway driving is so easy when you have power to play with. Good leaving when I did though, missed all the traffic, had to stop 4 times once in the north to find a petrol station that sold high octane fuel, but got there in the end.

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
@EF Ian no worries at all it was good to finally say hello and put a face to name. How long did it take you to get up the road? We left about 30 minutes after yourself and made it up the road in good time thankfully we had no fuel stop as the A8 eats up the motorway.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Had a good hoke around this today, what a machine.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443630077.676847.jpg

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
How long did it take you to get up the road?
I think I was home around half 9, and thats with stopping for a coffee/snack break and then stopping in 4 petrol stations to find one that sold high octane, not bad really for 200 miles.

Had a good hoke around this today, what a machine.
Thanks Graeme

I went on a nice drive along the Causeway Coastal Route from Portstewart to Cushendun after leaving your place. What an awesome drive, great views and great roads, will do that more often, the roads after you leave Ballycastle are the best.

12031634_945599085505802_3161076240625695349_o.jpg

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Thanks Nathan

Car won best overall at the Sideways Sunday on the 4th:

IMG_0348.jpg

I had metal guards up behind the rear wheels, however with the amount of stones my sticky tyres throw up it just chips the paint and then it rusts. So I've replaced them with 4mm thick rubber used for rally car mudflaps.

DSCF9511.jpg

Won't get rust now and they look much nicer:

DSCF9514.jpg

DSCF9528.jpg

Got a new place to store the cars, so set up the tents:

IMG_0423.jpg

New location for the plates:

DSCF9544.jpg

IMG_0426.jpg

Plate looks too big, I'll try and get a slightly smaller one.

Went to the track last Saturday to see how well this thing drifts, however I was having issues with oil surge 1/4 through the corners and then my ECU instantly cuts the engine rpm to 1500 so it wasn't very successful. It was good though because now I know my sump isn't going to cut it on track and as a result I'm planning some more mods to it, got baffles with trap doors behind and in front of the pickup but none at the sides so I'll be adding another plate alongside it with rubber flaps instead of hinges. Also thinking about changing the hinges on the rear baffles for the rubber flaps as they hold the oil longer. The pickup will also be altered as at the moment the angle its sitting at in the sump is not optimal. After this work is completed I'll not be having any more oil control problems.

Ended up just throwing some circles instead:

Car will be put away soon, I'll sure miss it, Done 1000 miles in just over 3 weeks and loved every one of them. I'll be sending the bumpers off to be re chromed over the winter which should improve the looks a lot.

Last edited:

Andy55

RMS Regular
Thought I recognised this from the Speedhunters article.
Looks, sounds and goes fantastic!
It's a credit to you.

Steviegsi

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 M3
Nice to see a being used as intended rather that tucked up in a garage for the annual trip to the test centre and back.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Hope those circles were not on R1R, lol, would have been an expensive day :p :innocent:

Great to see, keep it up :grinning:

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Strange the oil problems given it was built as a track car. Are you sure the link just isn't being picky and causing a issue when there isn't one really in first place ?
Speak to Richard Bradley he has set plenty rb26 up for drifting and should have a bit of knowledge on sump/oil. Think his own and Mckeevers are dry sumped

Neil Kirkpatrick

RMS Regular
Drives
Subaru Impreza P
How do you know it was oil surge, sounds more like the safety limits that are set for either the water temperature or oil temperature etc have been reached and the ECU has pulled everything back. The limits that are usually set are normally fine for a road car, but when on track these usually need raised. Or you have highlighted a cooling problem that now needs addressed

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Was thinking the same, not sure how the car would detect oil surge?

I know the Honda will back off if it detects low oil pressure, etc. But with an oil surge, the pressure is still fine, the oil is just in the wrong place. And usually fatal, you kind of know...

If it already has a baffled sump, and it really is oil surge, then the next step is dry sump. No point randomly messing with flaps in the sump, as likely to make things worse than better without doing the maths and testing...

Might be something else as above, like temps. Or some dodgy sensor/connector thrown by the vibrations from being a hooligan.

Not that there is anything wrong with being a hooligan mind :innocent:

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
I would say it's just the link being a bit silly. It has the main head drain kit so that should rule out the usual RB issue of pumping it's self dry / holding oil up top.

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Oil surge will be detected through oil pressure sender / low oil pressure, if the ecu is reading oil pressure then it could well be protecting against it.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Datalog will tell you everything you need to know and whether any safety parameters are doing as they need, or being overzealous.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Nice to see a being used as intended rather that tucked up in a garage for the annual trip to the test centre and back.
Great to see it being used / abused as well at pampered!

I'll never have a car that just gets babied all the time, I built it to have fun with, not to be a show queen. I'll never be too hard on it as it costs me too much, but that doesn't mean I can't do some Hooning.

Hope those circles were not on R1R, lol, would have been an expensive day :p :innocent:
They were on the R1R, so expensive smoke, I'll be changing to R888's on the rear soon.

Strange the oil problems given it was built as a track car. Are you sure the link just isn't being picky and causing a issue when there isn't one really in first place ?
Speak to Richard Bradley he has set plenty rb26 up for drifting and should have a bit of knowledge on sump/oil. Think his own and Mckeevers are dry sumped
The engine was built for a track car, but I had to change the sump which was originally a Tomei extended bafled sump. No Way I'm going dry sump, too expensive and I've got limited room.

It was definitely oil starvation guys, the link monitors all the sensors hundreds of times a second and the moment it detects anything outside of the ranges I've set it cuts the engine back to whatever RPM I have set. All the other parameters were within range.

Its mainly the badly designed pickup that will be responsible for the problems, I'm confident a re designed pickup and side baffle will solve these issues for good.

I'll be using these rubber baffle plates to upgrade my sump:

DSCF9545.jpg

I was having another issue the other day though, when on high boost it was overboosting and hitting the MAP limiter, not sure why its doing this, its happened before, but not all the time so I'm not sure whats at fault.

The no bumper look, running with no bumpers at the moment as I took them off to be re-chromed, rear actually looks quite good with no bumper:

DSCF9605.jpg

DSCF9606.jpg

DSCF9609.jpg

Unfortunately both cars are now put to bed:

IMG_0442.jpg

Last edited:

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Wonder what the parameter is set for in the link,Should not be difficult to access that parameter. Just for curiosity.

Some them limits are smart some can be annoying. I had a water temp limit that if water was to cool it would not rev past 3k. Idea being letting car get to temp before letting it have the full welly. It would have over cooled on a long easy run dropping back to below that threshold. Annoying when all sudden ya drop it a gear to overtake and met with a rev limit about 6000rpm less than should have lol
Replaced radiator in end as large one was just to efficient for road use, thermostat couldn keep up

Last edited: