never content?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Something I have been thinking a lot about recently and I am just wondering do other car nuts get the same way.

For the last 4-5 years I have continuously changed cars, sometimes within days, sometimes weeks. The 330 is probably my longest car I have owned over the last while having owned it around 10months now.

My current list of cars is the e46 330ci sport, focus ST (wife drives it mostly), e46 M3, Porsche 944 project and a 205gti lanes rally car.

I have had the m3 all of 2 months and I am already restless with it. Which given they are possibly my all time favourite car (within reason). Its left me wondering is there any car that will leave me totally satisfied?

I work with such a wide variety of cars from modified VW's and Jap stuff to Ferraris, Porsches etc and I wonder if its some of the problem.

Just wondering what other petrol heads do to content themselves?

RevT

RMS Regular
I get bored of a car as soon as I have it sitting the way I want, take longer to do that and it might stay longer. However, I also like changing to try out different motors, if someone makes a good offer on one, then it's away and replaced with something new.

big_pete

RMS Regular
OP
big_pete
Drives
Soulless pos
That's usually what happened with my stuff to @Trevor

For once though I'd like to settle with a nice daily and a nice weekend car lol

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
I've a serious problem too; pining after cars I've wanted for years, and as soon as I have it, I'll want something else...

You're not along.

UCFA - Unsettled Car Fanatics Anonymous... (y)

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
I'm like this, I think it's not the car itself, it's the chase

The same can be said about women...

I rattled a youngster out of mine, so that kinda sealed the deal that I'll not be chasing any more... Can't do that with a car. I even went to the extent of stripping my Mini back to a bare shell within a week of getting it, as a way of persuading myself to build it back up into the Mini I've wanted since I was a nipper... I swapped it in bits for another I've wanted for years, and in turn, I sold it to Coog within weeks... :oops:

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
I keep my cars a couple of years unless I can see an opportunity for profit. Or I crash it and @Ge0rge buys it........
if I really desire a car, then it goes on the list and I wait for the right car at the right price.

I'm glad there's a cooling off period, otherwise I'd have impulse-bought a Diahatsu Copen! PHEW

Last edited:

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
I've only owned 4 cars since 2000. The longest being the Sierra, I bought that in September 2007. So no I don't get itchy feet lol.

corsacj

RMS Regular
I'm never quite sure what the feck I want lol. Head is melted trying to choose a motor, no need to change the IS but as above, grass always greener...

Between being flat out with other stuff these days and my civic getting mangled Im slowly getting less arsed about fiddling about with the cars. Hopefully that changes when I have free time again.

Ollie

RMS Regular
See i get restless but it just means buying something else in addition to what i have.

I get bored of a car as soon as I have it sitting the way I want, take longer to do that and it might stay longer. However, I also like changing to try out different motors, if someone makes a good offer on one, then it's away and replaced with something new.

I find it much harder to let things go. I get a bargain on a car/ wheels/ parts etc and i wont let it go. Ill think, "sure its doing no harm lying in the yard, it doesn't owe me much or im not busting for the cash."

Jesus reading that back... i think im turning into a hoarder.

loud n low

RMS Regular
I ll tell you whats worse than this,having a notion for weeks,if not months,for a certain car and then waking up one morning literally sick of the thought of it....having said that,my daydreaming has nt cost me much cash over the years :p

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
Never content with what car I'm using daily, it never fills every purpose 100%. The 156 did for two years but then various little things changed and it doesn't now. Literally a different daily every week at the minute and they all annoy me as soon as the "different car" feeling has worn off.
Not content with how any of the cars I own and keep are sitting as there is always something on them could be better.
Not content with the cars I own until the "list" is finished.

Plenty of car people stick with a certain car for ages, even years, so it can't just be an enthusiast thing.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
You're far from alone man. I've had 4 cars in the past year.

Last edited:

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
The problem I find is there is soo many cars out there I'd like to try/own. Iv never kept any car longer than a year and tbh I think I'll always be the same.

mcma1

RMS Regular
Drives
A Bull
Car 1 - Ecosse D turbo 1998
Car 17 - RS6 2014

Total bhp: 5870

Loved every one, but already know what the next move is for me and the wife! and I am talking cars by the way :grinning:

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
I'd be the same as @Ollie once a car arrives it's generally a prisoner! Unless of course it's a diesel. Only ever owned two diesels (fabia vrs and 205 d turbo) and both of them ended up sold.

pablo

RMS Moderator
Same here I can't think of a car that does it all I like getting the best car for the money so tend to go for older higher mileage cars. These inevitably require work which kinda sours it a bit. But if I buy something new it won't be as good so I'll get bored.

The 911 will be going so and generally have no idea what to go for next. 1 car, 2 cars feck knows.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I'd love to be able to let stuff go easier, it's only the wife's cars that really get sold on, mine stay forever. I still have my first car..:oops:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.