never content?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Buying a house hasn't slowed my mods down that much, running out of things I want to do to the car has lol.

Bar a couple of small things all I've left to do is an underside resto and paint it. It doesn't really need either at the moment so I'm in no rush to do them.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Buying a house hasn't slowed my mods down that much, running out of things I want to do to the car has lol.

Bar a couple of small things all I've left to do is an underside resto and paint it. It doesn't really need either at the moment so I'm in no rush to do them.

I know a fella like this too. Car absolutely mint and just no idea what to do next as it's all been done lol

PhilM

RMS Regular
Not so much with not being content with my cars, I tend to buy and keep for years, its more the wishing to improve them but not having the funds (I made my bed , so I'll lay in it!! :laughing: )

have you still got the subaru brendy?

I would be the type to make my daily last as long as economically possible....

and for the fun element i enjoy driving starlets... light fun handling with their rear panhard rod suspension :grinning: aw such fun lol

so ive have had two of them of the past 10years. lol

i also enjoy learning to do little bits of work on them and upgrades add extra spice to any car relationship :grinning:

Phil

brendy

RMS Regular
have you still got the subaru brendy?

I would be the type to make my daily last as long as economically possible....

and for the fun element i enjoy driving starlets... light fun handling with their rear panhard rod suspension :grinning: aw such fun lol

so ive have had two of them of the past 10years. lol

i also enjoy learning to do little bits of work on them and upgrades add extra spice to any car relationship :grinning:

Phil
Yup, still enjoying it... needs decent suspension and want to get the alloys painted but yea, happy enough with it. Hasnt really cost me anything this past 2 years neither bar a new clutch. Cheap motoring :laughing:

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
In 21 years of driving I've only owned four cars (plus one share of a car). That's fewer than the average monthly turnover for an RMSer.

Lately I have been thinking about just getting something short term for the craic of it, but I can't help thinking that going through cars like they're going out of fashoin is a very costly pastime, and I hate wasting money!

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
In 21 years of driving I've only owned four cars (plus one share of a car). That's fewer than the average monthly turnover for an RMSer.

Lately I have been thinking about just getting something short term for the craic of it, but I can't help thinking that going through cars like they're going out of fashoin is a very costly pastime, and I hate wasting money!

Buy smart and it won't cost you anything.

Different story if you're buying nearly new I guess, most of my cars are over 10 years old (because they're the interesting ones).

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI

It can be expensive or as cheap as you like really. Challenge is making sure that making a profit on each doesn't become the number one focus, otherwise it becomes very boring very quickly. As a hobby I find it fairly cheap compared to what I see my mates spend on golfing equipment, etc.

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
I'm on my 14th car which is an e90 330D, still have 13th the ol' mr2 Turbo.

I was trying to convince myself that I could keep the e90 and run it into the ground. But tbh I'm doing 500 miles a week so it wont take me long to do that. I think the key to not loosing too much money will be to change every 6 months, and aim to never MOT it lol. I need to decide what to do with the BMW now as I had planned getting the DPF out and a map in July, but I wont bother if I'm selling it. What do you replace a nippy and reasonably economical estate car with though? Merc CLS 320CDI?

Its odd, I never know what the next car will be that much in advance. I can spend months looking then make a decision in the space of a day or two.

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
Buy smart and it won't cost you anything.

Different story if you're buying nearly new I guess, most of my cars are over 10 years old (because they're the interesting ones).

This I can subscribe to. I wouldn't be interested in anything over younger 15-20 years old and it would have to have been interesting since the day it was made. While investment wouldn't be a main motivation, I've been quite good at predicting the relatively inexpensive cars that will appreciate a lot, so it's probably time I went and did something about it!

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
I'm on my 14th car which is an e90 330D, still have 13th the ol' mr2 Turbo.

I was trying to convince myself that I could keep the e90 and run it into the ground. But tbh I'm doing 500 miles a week so it wont take me long to do that. I think the key to not loosing too much money will be to change every 6 months, and aim to never MOT it lol. I need to decide what to do with the BMW now as I had planned getting the DPF out and a map in July, but I wont bother if I'm selling it. What do you replace a nippy and reasonably economical estate car with though? Merc CLS 320CDI?

You need to replace that with something like an Avensis wagon - you can actually then run it into the ground as it will take half a mill. An E90 will break if you sneeze inside it.

Big Jon

RMS Regular
Drives
G87 M2
I'm on my 14th car and there's only really one car I regret selling in that time - my 147 GTA. I'm more limited in what I can choose as there's a lot of interesting stuff I just don't fit into and other stuff that just holds no interest (sorry, but just don't 'get' Golfs). I currently own what is my first BMW, an M135i, and it ticks most of the boxes for me: the 8 speed auto and a wee bit of luxury for the daily grind and the straight six with M Performance exhaust for when the opportunity arises. It's not perfect by any means but 10 months and 10k miles in it doesn't squeak or rattle and hasn't given any grief so far. There's really nothing else out there at the moment which, for the money, would make me want to swap.

Mel

RMS Regular
Drives
S3
Moral of the story is don't ever have kids Pete :p, I am filled with dread already at the fact in less than 8 years time Courtney will want to share my car:sob:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I'm back driving old faithful again lol forgot how lovely and smooth the 330 is

For all they cost they're a super wagon. I can't believe how much of a billy bargain mine was and they're actually not a bad going thing either.

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
My cars go to scrap 9/10 I keep them until either beyond worth while repair or something happens.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
I think the reason I keep cars for 3 years + is probably due to researching the life out of what I am buying.

I buy it when I know it will fit what I need/want for the time I hope to have it.

I'm not a competitive person, so a mate changing a car gives me a kick too.

Perhaps you just haven't found the right car(s) for you?

big_pete

RMS Regular
OP
big_pete
Drives
Soulless pos
Honestly I change my mind every 2mins about what I want. There isn't one single car that will do everything I need.

Last night I was going to sell everything and buy an e34 to daily and an e36 m3 cab as the weekend toy.

But I have also been looking at 996 911's, bike engined kit cars, skylines, classic minis lol no pattern to my logic.

The only constant in my car life is I always have to own a BMW as I get discontent the quickest when I dont have one about lol

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.