New car modification & autospares shop

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

thomas_lad

RMS Regular
Happy days, just round the corner from me. hope it takes off for the fella - always good to have a car entusiast round the corner to sell stuff than just an autoparts worker that doesnt give a sh!t about cars

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
i am sure, like most of us early to mid 30s on here, who before internet shopping became the norm, we all visited every shop around, made friends, and spent countless hours and days just hanging about the different car accessory shops.

I can remember visiting @Davey@Procar and just hanging about all day, getting the craic, listening to his cheerful tales and his happy demeanour that he always has had from way back in the day, lol (and still does!!!!)

me and @ewok regularly visited Sound in Motion up in Campsie, and I can remember driving to some place outside Culmore in Derry to pick up an RS4 bumper for my B5 model Audi A4, driving to Ali Thompson in Ballymoney to get windows tinted; and wouldn't have thought twice about travelling back in the day.

I really hope this shop works out for your mate @stevensti and there is a whole new breed of modifiers emerge who don't do everything online.

Dave..

RMS Regular
I think to have a sustainable business he will need to have an online business as well, that offers something different to everyone else. There are huge opportunities if you are selling products that customers want. Unfortunately for shops, a lot of customers check out their stock and then buy it cheaper online.
As I said above, I hope he is successful.

shannon1305

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus ST225
As someone much newer to the game I see this as a great welcome. You can research all day and night to find what you want to order online but dandering into a shop and asking someone who cares is worth it. The piece of mind and second opinion itself would have me in the door. As long as the markup isn't insane and the onsite bodyshop cares about quality I can't see why it won't do well.

Cro

RMS Regular
I say we're the ones that spend the big money on good parts. The amount of baller cars we have on rms, most don't fit cheap Chinese parts
If the stock is right and the price isn't mad different I say he'll be grand

It doesn't matter if you fit because of quality or snobbery, fitting is fitting

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
I say we're the ones that spend the big money on good parts. The amount of baller cars we have on rms, most don't fit cheap Chinese parts

I read this in my head using Vin Diesels voice lol

stevensti

RMS Regular
OP
stevensti
Drives
slowly
Good luck to him, online as great as it is I'm still a bit stuck in the past where I like to go see something in person if I can before purchasing.
I am the same. The amount of times that I have ordered on line and have been disappointed once the item has arrived I could not count.

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
If he's a dealer for black reek remaps he will do just fine.

Seriously though good luck to the fella. The bodyshop and servicing centre will be the part that will make or break him, if he works hard on that part and gets a good reputation he will do grand as the shop on its own wouldn't last IMO.

Smurf.

RMS Regular
Drives
The odd time
@Big Pimp the place at culmore was keith at thornhill autos. Mostly vag man. Great fella spent many a day there and up with gilbert at carnoisseur. Spoiler centre in cookstown that was started by the late gerry mc gurk is still going strong to this day, fair play to them great bunch of guys.

mckeown

RMS Regular
Drives
mitsi outlander
I'd say its quite like the bike shop that I used to work for, loads of nice shiny stock sitting about but the workshop although accounting for 20% of the turnover made over 50% of the profit. Best of luck to him, ill try to support him when I can.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Used to frequent the Carnoisseur outside Derry run by Frank and Leo quite often, many a Saturday afternoon was wasted just hanging round looking at stock and talking car rubbish with them. Many a pound was (arguably) wasted too on mods!

They seemed to be a dying breed so it's a bit strange to see someone opening a new one, but I wish him the very best with it. Always like to see a new business do well.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Bound to be a tough market to open a business in, with NI's fondness for £40 diesel tuning and suchlike, but hopefully it works out for him. I'd like to see a shop like this flourish.

The temptation for most shopkeepers is to cut the tripe out of profit. I've always stayed away from that temptation to kill off my business or make myself poor and busy. There is much better margin in the "esoteric" end of the market and much less competition . . . Good luck to whoever is opening this new venture.

I miss the days when 30 Cd-Radio sales every week made me a decent living....... 20 plus years ago. Those times have changed.

NotKG

Banned

snobbery !! i'v never seen it here ;-)

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
@Big Pimp the place at culmore was keith at thornhill autos. Mostly vag man. Great fella spent many a day there and up with gilbert at carnoisseur. Spoiler centre in cookstown that was started by the late gerry mc gurk is still going strong to this day, fair play to them great bunch of guys.

Is Keith still going i use to deal with him. Shane has took over The Spoiler centre since the passing of Gerry great bunch of lads up there.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Joking aside , it would be good to go to a shop to order stuff in , nice to let someone else deal with the ins and outs and if they get it wrong you wont be out of pocket. However , that means competing with internet prices which by the time they add on their cut, might not be easy for them.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.