New Pressure Washer needed

RevT

RMS Regular
In fairness, I’ve ran it off an extension lead the past three weeks, before that I was using an outdoor socket. I just started washing the cars further away so I’ll maybe go back to where I was.

Sham1

RMS Regular
In fairness, I’ve ran it off an extension lead the past three weeks, before that I was using an outdoor socket. I just started washing the cars further away so I’ll maybe go back to where I was.
A motor will always try to pull its rated watts. Watts is Voltage x amps. As you have an extension lead, the voltage reaching the pressure washer will be lower due to voltage drop in the cable. So for the motor to deliver the same power (watts) it will naturally pull more amps, blowing the fuse.

That’s a simplistic view, power factor is used in the power rating, but it’s just to explain the volt / amp relationship. Lower the volts , a motor will require more amps.
There is always voltage drop across a cable, so always run the heaviest and shortest extension cable you can. And unwind it fully when using high powered items

Last edited:

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
My AVA P80 had went 2.5 years without blowing a fuse and now it’s blew three in two weeks. 🤦🏻

Anyone have a link for the best fuses to replace them with?

This is what I have I'm my p80 after @Big Pimp recommend them to me:

sourcing map Ceramic Cartridge Fuses 16A 250V 6x25mm Ceramic Fuses Fast Blow Replacement for Amplifier Energy Saving Lamp Ballast 5pcs https://amzn.eu/d/diutiX0

I've not blow one of these since I put it in and I blew 5 or 6 of the normal 13a in the first few months of getting the machine.

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Anyone else had this happen?
Puro screw top rips off when tightening it?
Twice now, happened my last one too,
Just means I’ve no seal on top of it now
IMG_1213.jpeg

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I got a new rubber hose made up from supplier I heard about on this forum, maybe 2 or 3 years ago and it just keeps bursting. Had it fixed 3 times already and 10 minutes into recent job it bursts again. It's like it is faulty inside and just keeps bursting out.
Supplier tell me it's just one of those things, says I've caught it on some grit and makes a hole (which I find hard to believe), but I'm only using it on Nilfisk 145, maybe once a month just around the house, concrete yard, deck, car, etc.
So I'm convinced it's a bad hose and fed up spending £12 + petrol everytime. I'm going to try somewhere else for a new hose. Any advice on what to ask for? Are there different specs or qualities?

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
I got a new rubber hose made up from supplier I heard about on this forum, maybe 2 or 3 years ago and it just keeps bursting. Had it fixed 3 times already and 10 minutes into recent job it bursts again. It's like it is faulty inside and just keeps bursting out.
Supplier tell me it's just one of those things, says I've caught it on some grit and makes a hole (which I find hard to believe), but I'm only using it on Nilfisk 145, maybe once a month just around the house, concrete yard, deck, car, etc.
So I'm convinced it's a bad hose and fed up spending £12 + petrol everytime. I'm going to try somewhere else for a new hose. Any advice on what to ask for? Are there different specs or qualities?
it can sometimes happen - it did do it with a factory hose from AVA once on me.

I got my local hydraulic hose company to cut the ends off, and make me a new 15m hose and touch wood ive had no further problems with it.

My advice - look for another company closer to you who works with hydraulic hoses.

Nickyyy

RMS Regular
Drives
RS6 / DC2
IMG_1873.jpeg

IMG_1872.jpeg

Love my Ava when it works but their build quality lets them down. That’s the 2nd lance failure I’ve had and then the trigger just decides to fail as well lol

Their warranty doesn’t cover accessories it seems too for more than 2 years so I had to order replacement parts for the trigger and the lance as it was replaced it should be free but they charge a clean stroke for postage as the trigger was a small part and they charge 12 quid for postage

Not sure if I could go back in time I’d buy an AVA again

And I’m storing these in my heated garage so not at risk of frost etc which is what AVA seems to blame it on in their website and replaced all serviceable O rings too

paddyirishman

RMS Regular
I bought a 10m extension hose from Cleantec in 2019 and it is still like new. Well worth the money.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Does anyone know if it's possible to run a powerwasher off a petrol generator? I've an area of kerbing to clean that is a bit away from the electric supply (but has water). I have an old Honda petrol generator that has a 240v outlet on it. If not suitable I'll fit an outside socket instead. Not sure what output the generator has.

I bought a 10m extension hose from Cleantec in 2019 and it is still like new. Well worth the money.
I bought the hose from Cleantec, so not that impressed to be honest. Lots of good reviews, good enough service, pleasant staff but definitely something bad about this hose.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
it can sometimes happen - it did do it with a factory hose from AVA once on me.

I got my local hydraulic hose company to cut the ends off, and make me a new 15m hose and touch wood ive had no further problems with it.

My advice - look for another company closer to you who works with hydraulic hoses.
There's a hose place I go to that can repair them but last time the burst was at the Nilfisk lance connector and they didn't do that kind of fitting.
I'm thinking of getting a whole new hose and a regular style lance with standard fittings so it's easier to repair next time.

The whole thing puzzles me because I previously had my late father's old hand-me-down Karcher from the late 80's with original hose and it was used for yardwork and construction plant and never had a bust hose even once.

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
A motor will always try to pull its rated watts. Watts is Voltage x amps. As you have an extension lead, the voltage reaching the pressure washer will be lower due to voltage drop in the cable. So for the motor to deliver the same power (watts) it will naturally pull more amps, blowing the fuse.

That’s a simplistic view, power factor is used in the power rating, but it’s just to explain the volt / amp relationship. Lower the volts , a motor will require more amps.
There is always voltage drop across a cable, so always run the heaviest and shortest extension cable you can. And unwind it fully when using high powered items

God I'm glad someone else on the planet gets that. I've tried to explain the same to a qualified spark in work and they still argued I was wrong.

Sham1

RMS Regular
God I'm glad someone else on the planet gets that. I've tried to explain the same to a qualified spark in work and they still argued I was wrong.
Depends on your “sparks” background.If it’s installation work, then they will probably never have done any motor theory. They probably think along the lines of “a lightbulb dims as the voltage lowers, so a motor must just spin slower” Sounds logical enough. But, an AC motors speed is governed by the frequency, hence the motor is still trying* to drive at the same speed, but with the lower voltage will pull more current, or worse stall and overheat the windings.
With a longer cable, the voltage will drop, but the frequency “50hz” will stay the same.
Again, a fairly simplistic description, but explains the basics.

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
Depends on your “sparks” background.If it’s installation work, then they will probably never have done any motor theory. They probably think along the lines of “a lightbulb dims as the voltage lowers, so a motor must just spin slower” Sounds logical enough. But, an AC motors speed is governed by the frequency, hence the motor is still trying* to drive at the same speed, but with the lower voltage will pull more current, or worse stall and overheat the windings.
With a longer cable, the voltage will drop, but the frequency “50hz” will stay the same.
Again, a fairly simplistic description, but explains the basics.

Nope, he's industrial/maintenance like myself. He worked in the likes of Michelin in Ballymena so you'd think he'd know better. Some of the stuff he comes out with would shock you. Pardon the pun.

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
What's the pressure rating of the hose? Grit outside shouldn't make too much of a difference. High pressure hoses are usually are made of at least 3-4 different materials layered up.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
What's the pressure rating of the hose? Grit outside shouldn't make too much of a difference. High pressure hoses are usually are made of at least 3-4 different materials layered up.
I don't know the pressure rating and there's no printing on the hose, but I guessed buying it from Cleantec for a simple domestic machine it would be up to the job.
When I look at the damage, it's like the wires inside break and then the outer rubber splits with the water pressure. Like you, I would have thought even if grit was to damage the outer layer of rubber it still shouldn't leak.

Christopher

RMS Regular
Drives
Skyline GTR

ordered this yesterday. looks to be despatched so i hopefully got the last unit before being back ordered.

i know they don't have the best online reputation but i've had one of their all black 9 and hose kits for years. the all black 9 has sat to the side but i've used their hose and gun for years on my grey series parkside and been impressed.

for the spec of the or11, if it gets anywhere near the spec it'll be great value for money.

i ran my grey series parkside (max 180bar/600l, working 150bar/560l) into a bucket this week and it achieved just over 8l per minute. if the new one can do 11 as described, or even a genuine 10 then i'll be very happy.

jonny.92

RMS Regular
View attachment 432260

View attachment 432262

Love my Ava when it works but their build quality lets them down. That’s the 2nd lance failure I’ve had and then the trigger just decides to fail as well lol

Their warranty doesn’t cover accessories it seems too for more than 2 years so I had to order replacement parts for the trigger and the lance as it was replaced it should be free but they charge a clean stroke for postage as the trigger was a small part and they charge 12 quid for postage

Not sure if I could go back in time I’d buy an AVA again

And I’m storing these in my heated garage so not at risk of frost etc which is what AVA seems to blame it on in their website and replaced all serviceable O rings too

I had something similar this week with my extendable lance.

There's metal tube on the inside for the water to pass through. It has a recess that allows the plastic housing to clamp it in place to stop it coming free when extending the lance. Mine had managed to come free and the water was leaking out of the lance housing like yours. Cleaned it, regreased and reseated it and haven't had an issue since

Nickyyy

RMS Regular
Drives
RS6 / DC2
I had something similar this week with my extendable lance.

There's metal tube on the inside for the water to pass through. It has a recess that allows the plastic housing to clamp it in place to stop it coming free when extending the lance. Mine had managed to come free and the water was leaking out of the lance housing like yours. Cleaned it, regreased and reseated it and haven't had an issue since

I ordered a replacement pipe and fitted it last night haven’t tested it.

The replacement was aluminium and the original part was plastic likely a design flaw I’d say

saxo_man

RMS Regular
I ordered a replacement pipe and fitted it last night haven’t tested it.

The replacement was aluminium and the original part was plastic likely a design flaw I’d say
Do you have a link Nicky to the bit you replaced?

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
I don't know the pressure rating and there's no printing on the hose, but I guessed buying it from Cleantec for a simple domestic machine it would be up to the job.
When I look at the damage, it's like the wires inside break and then the outer rubber splits with the water pressure. Like you, I would have thought even if grit was to damage the outer layer of rubber it still shouldn't leak.
I'm by no means a font of all knowledge on hoses, but I've had to make up plenty of hydraulic hoses before.

Sounds like you were supplied with a lower rated pressure hose. The wires breaking through is due to the high water pressure funding weak spots in the wire braiding and then breaking through the outer rubber. It could equally be a bad batch of hose with weak or corroded braiding. Last thing it could be is the wrong amount of wraps of wire braiding.

To be honest, I'd be looking a new hose with correct pressure rating and number of braid wraps.

If you can find out the max pressure delivery of your pressure washer, then the hose should be rated for at least 1.5 times that.