People who can't park their fingers up their hole's thread..

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
@Paddy C I'm glad you are comfortable about taking a space which may exceptionally be required by a stressed out parent with a clatter of kids in tow.

Personally I'd be embarassed to take one of these spots and wouldnt even do it if it was the last one in the carpark.

I would agree wth you 100% during the day, but at night I can't see the problem with it. There's no way every parent space is going to be required by parents late at night.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
i dont agree with parent/child spaces. Disabled sapces for obvious reasons, but why should you get preferetial parking just because you have sprogs
Id rather them have their own wider spaces than have a door slamed off mine in a normal space. Its hard enough getting in and out of my car in a normal space , nevermind trying to get a kid in and out of a car seat.

Dan.86

RMS Regular
On the subject of parking, new multi story car park at Altnagelvin hospital, architect suggested widening the spaces to accommodate the fact cars are larger today. Was told today by senior employee of McL&H who are building it that the suggestion was swiftly rebuked as planning laws stipulate minimum sizes and that will suffice. I think we could have sacrificed a small percentage of spaces, making each individual space bigger. Better for patients, easier access out of their cars, less chance of dings, less bad parking. I'm really getting fed up of tiny spaces everywhere! I'm no DoE or planning expert but surely this old law needs changed now cars are bigger!

They (the client) will be thinking of the revenue generated assuming that it'll be a pay carpark

Screw the patients

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
i dont agree with parent/child spaces. Disabled sapces for obvious reasons, but why should you get preferetial parking just because you have sprogs

Id rather them have their own wider spaces than have a door slamed off mine in a normal space. Its hard enough getting in and out of my car in a normal space , nevermind trying to get a kid in and out of a car seat.

Exactly that - the more the better IMO and as mentioned before, the standard road markings (1.8m wide I think) needs reviewed since cars are getting bigger. The spaces in USA are massive to accomodate the car sizes, funny seeing a Fiesta parked in one!

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Exactly that - the more the better IMO and as mentioned before, the standard road markings (1.8m wide I think) needs reviewed since cars are getting bigger. The spaces in USA are massive to accomodate the car sizes, funny seeing a Fiesta parked in one!
Even the ones at the side of the road (end to end) are a nightmare in a van. You can park but can't get the rear doors open. And a big van ? Forget it. Hate when the boss sends me into Belfast.

Ghisallo

RMS Regular

Are you totally against them in princple or is that you can't you think of a single reason why these spaces might be useful to a person with children?

I reckon if you think really really hard about it, you'll think of a least one reason.

thomas_lad

RMS Regular
Drives
F31 M Sport
They can have spaces, just not preferential spaces! but if a car park is full and they are the only spaces left, i would use them.

best example of this is yorkgate, always packed and loads of parent spaces all in a row right in front of the shops

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
@thomas_lad Car parks are full of hazards - numpties driving the wrong way and manoeuring without paying attention, trollies and trolley cars flying about etc.

Don't you think it sensible that parents (e.g. a mother with a baby in a pram and maybe one or two toddlers to control, plus all sorts of stress and distraction going on) should ideally be spared having to run the gauntlet over couple of hundred yards across a busy car park, but instead would be safer closer to the door of the shop? As a driver, mitigating kids and prams darting about would be of benefit to you too.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Car park stewards for Stewarts perhaps?

We actually used to walk a few miles out to Supermacs, get the weekly shop and walk back again. 2 of us pesky kids, one pram and my mum (up hill both ways :p ). It was hardly a 40 mile hike to collect drinking water every morning but it does put parent/baby parking spaces into perspective a little bit (I've no problem with them btw).

Shannonsir

RMS Regular
Drives
Camaro SS
What if the parent is disabled?. The spaces would be rather relavant then.. and perhaps some people are disabled AND have to take the kids shopping. I think the least we can do is spare them a handy space.

Just a thought. ^o)

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
90's Junk
image.jpeg

-herc-

RMS Regular
Anyone parking in a parent and toddler space without a lil one is fuking arsehole.

The hassle i have had trying to get the car seat out of the car in a normal space due to not being able to open the door fully is a nightmare! not to mention having to go into the other side to get her out due to no space one time. The extra space is there for a reason - dont be a fat lazy **** just because you want to park close to the front door!!

Yes this fustrates me a lot! you wouldnt park in a disabled spot but happy enough to take a parent and toddler??

And regarding the late at night garbish - im sure plenty of parents on here can happily say they have brought their little one to tesco at night for many a reasons. A few occasions I have had a screaming teething lil one with me late at night in tesco!