Performance on a budget

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
that merc confuses the hell out of me lol. If i see the pictures right the turbo and chargecooler is in the boot?
How the hell do you get the oil back to the engine? Sump and scavenge pump?

Well, there wasn't a hole lot of room in the enigne bay lol. There was mention of a scavenge pump in his thread.

Tommy

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo
Volvo 850 T5 estate with a Rica remap, it wont go around corners but they are fun and sound amazing or you want something slightly better looking a c70 T5. You could buy both for under £2k.(y)

Richy

RMS Regular
Drives
E55
For me it would have to be a Type R variant, either accord or civic. Accord has the LSD which really does make a hell of a difference to the drive and they really do need driven to be kept in the VTEC sweet spot but is a nice comfy cruiser. The EP3 brings out the hooligan in you, well me anyway, just a gear mashing session every time I drove one!

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
I was gonna say EP3 myself. You can get early ones for £2k and so long as it's been looked after should never fail on you.

That or as said before RS Clio, RS Megane 225 or MX-5 and budget in a turbo/SC conversion to make it faster.

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
MK5 golf GTI is a decent shout if it's a car you'd be using daily also. Remap and they're smashing to drive, but if it's purely for fun they aren't special enough. To much of an all rounder, without spending big dough anyway.

Pete took me out a run in his wee 172, and it's a cracking wee motor. Would be perfect for some cheap fun.

I've been toying with getting a MK3 Golf GTI 16v as a wee cheap track type stager. The can be had for peanuts and the ABF engine is decent. Parts and upgrades are plentiful, though finding a non-rusty example could be difficult.

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
As the title says what would you buy and build if you have a tight budget for a fun and quick car. Obviously looking at cars that are cheap to aquire easy worked on and parts readily available.

My mind springs to most Vag stuff with a 1.8t fitted eg. 225 audi tt or Leon cupras etc... Clio 172/182 however most well looked after examples hold their value,

Anyone any outside the box ideas ?

What are you going to use the car for?
If its for motorsport make sure you can get parts for it easily because you will crash it. I have a Nova and I've nearly had to stop using it because parts are hard to come by now and they are getting very expensive. My next motorsport car will be a RS Clio of some sort, scrap yards are full of clio body panels etc. I've been sharing a BMW Compact 318ti with my brother this last couple of months, it's not quick in a straight line but we have been having great craic at Kirkistown, Aghadowey, and Nutts Corner in it.
RWD is great fun but we didn't like the idea of a soft top for motorsport so have stuck with a proper steel roof.

dddrrift

RMS Regular
whats the air filter under the bonnet all about and how does that work? is there like a one way valve on there or something?

zafturbo

RMS Regular
205 Gti mi16 .If you want it to sound the part then put it onto carbs or bodies.good shocks and big brakes and have a ball.Perfect little car imo.

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350
Those wee MR2 Roadsters are meant to be a good steer. Same power to weight as an MX5 but mid engined, I suppose it just depends what you want.

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
Get a Mk2 MR2 Turbo. A few bolt on mods and they get to 270bhp. A few further bits and bobs and 320 is achievable. Great to drive and definitely entertaining.

In fact, I have one 99.8% completed in my garage, if you are interested :-P

car life

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
hatchback a corsa b with a xe fitted but I'm biased. it will leave a 172 in its wake and despite what people think can be set up for track and handling.
RWD - omega chip, v6, red plenty comfort or mx-5. get a mk1 enough power to suit the car and great fun to drive

don't under estimate a saab. an early 93 or 9000 2L turbo. Id a 9000 stage 2 approx 230-40 bhp and it could certainly move. stand alone management as standard and not far of 300 is as easy as an downpipe and 80 to get the ecu changed to Saabs own pre programmed stage 3

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.