Performance on a budget

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

j44nty

RMS Regular
I absolutely loved my 172. It is by far and away the most fun car to drove I have ever owned and I've owned big power imprezas, countless m3's etc

They do give niggly troubles but they are simple to work on and parts are cheap.

Honestly I can't wait to have another as a toy some day

This basically I'm in the same boat big powered cars are fun but no where near as chuckable as an rs clio. Although I would put a mk3 Mr2 and twincam a close joint second for smiles per mile.

I always thought another cheap power conversion is a cheap eg civic and prelude 2.2 then swap all the bits over. The last one I done many years ago I didn't even bother mating looms. I butchered the prelude clocks into the dash. Total cost was about 2 grand and it was epic fun for all of about 1 week before I wreaked it.

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
MK8 GTi CS
Clio 172 Cup
MK5 GTi
Integra Type R

I've owned all three and all three are fantastic on track. A 172 with minor suspension & engine mods makes a fantastic track car and extremely affordable 200bhp go kart

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
3 grand would buy and turbo an mx5 if using some second hand parts.

Absolutely hilarious fun, your welcome to a run in mine to see

Deckz

RMS Regular
Drives
Cars
There is/was a rough looking mk4 gsi on gumtree for 1500.

Old one I used to own.

Sold it needing 2 rear quarter panels fixed, passanger side dash (where the air bag went off) front bumper was non genuine and has a slight misfire lol

Dan.86

RMS Regular
MR2 TURBO I have owned two and got them both for £1000 great fun on the track and on the road. 220hp mid engined toy 0-60 6.1 sec hard to bet for the money.

aside from the obvious, are there any particular places you look for turbo's?

£1000 is fantastic considering any n/a mr2 ive seen is selling for around 2k

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
MR2 is a good shout if you can get one, turbos are getting very thing on the ground. Wouldn't mind another one as a project tho.

Also, as Gaz says they will try to kill you on every corner, that is not an understatement! It is great fun all the same

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
MR2 is a good shout if you can get one, turbos are getting very thing on the ground. Wouldn't mind another one as a project tho.

Also, as Gaz says they will try to kill you on every corner, that is not an understatement! It is great fun all the same

I really have to pull my finger out with mine. Needs a master cylinder, suspension set up and MOT'd and that's it. Oh, and the roof painted :worried:

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
I really have to pull my finger out with mine. Needs a master cylinder, suspension set up and MOT'd and that's it. Oh, and the roof painted :worried:
Clutch or brake master cylinder?
I may have something here to suit, would need to check.

Sure may as well sell her to me as parts or repair tongue[1].gif

RickyMcG

RMS Regular
Drives
Too much !
I must say I got lucky with the second one the guy selling it didn't advertise it as a turbo but I spotted the gauge and got it for a steal.

I loved it great craic like a heavy road going single seater. They are bit nervous over 70mph.

But I think everyone should own one.

Matti_f

RMS Regular
OP
Matti_f
Drives
van,Tucson,TTid
Thanks for all the input guys finally sold the st and have around a grand to play with for some cheap fun.

Feel free to link anything interesting ...

Matti_f

RMS Regular
OP
Matti_f
Drives
van,Tucson,TTid
Did you ring about this?
2nd that Anybody know this car?

Nope work hasnt got me in the area this week so dont want to waste the guys time.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.