Potential replacement for wife's Mini?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

SMB

RMS Regular
Drives
A4 Avant
My wife and I are expecting our first baby towards the end of the year... Really excited as you can imagine, however it has thrown up some questions re her Mini...

She currently has an 06 Cooper, with only 35k miles and while she loves it, there are question marks over what buggies etc fit into it.. While she would love to keep it, we're not sure on boot size and I am looking some advice re potential replacements? There are some buggies that fit, but it really limits the market..

I had thought we'd take the chance to change for something a bit diff, but not getting much success lol..

Some options (most of which have been shot down and some are outta budget anyway):
Renault Clio 197
Mk1 Focus RS
BMW 1 Series - she likes them, but we live in hilly area and I already have a RWD car..

Basically bout £5-6k to spend.. Needs to be circa 2006 with approx 40-50k miles.. Oh and must have isofix.. Funny how priorities change! Should look pretty decent too..

tomah

RMS Regular
Drives
Acura MDX
My advice? Go bigger than what you're looking at.

You will be amazed at the amount of stuff comes with a baby. It needs to be able to take buggy + changing gear + groceries at a minimum.

P.S. Congrats!

Chris_702

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
I agree with @tomah , I would advise you to go bigger than what you are looking at.
Buggy, nappies, wipes, change of clothes at all times, few jars/milk when first born, etc etc!

When my young fella was born I had an 09 Focus at the time, due to the size of our pram - I struggled with space!

PS Congratulations!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Yeh, absolutely no point in changing from 1 small car to another.

5 doors will be a must too.

Or what about letting her use your car and then you can get 1 of the above for a daily toy?

SMB

RMS Regular
OP
S
Drives
A4 Avant

colin84

RMS Regular
You would nearly need an estate car when you have a baby! The amount of stuff you need is surprising, and if you want to travel somewhere to stay you will need even more stuff.

And definitely more doors as said above.

tomah

RMS Regular
Drives
Acura MDX
5 doors will be a must too.

@MG-Mad
y-u-no-read-thumb.jpg

Seriously. Wrestling a child into its seat in a three door h/b will get tiresome very quickly. It's hard enough getting in yourself with the larger doors when parked in a car park, never mind with an infant in your arms and trying to dump it in the back and strap it in.

Back to the drawing board.

STE_vie

RMS Regular
Girlfriends sister has a fiat 500 and about to give birth any day now, loves her car and didn't want to change. She got a buggy etc to fit the boot although I think its designed to remove wheels quickly for transporting. So it is possible but as said above I can imagine it will get tiresome very quickly

Chris_702

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
It is possible but once they are up a bit, and your wrestling them into the back of a 3 door, you would soon blow a gasket with the motor lol

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Don't know your other car but there is no point in buying a fast family car really, get something big and frugal

SMB

RMS Regular
OP
S
Drives
A4 Avant
Hmmm... Fair enough, point taken on the 3dr, however, there is no way either of us would have an MPV!

@saxo_man - my other car is the Merc in my avatar.. Decent size and relatively frugal, for a 3.0 V6 diesel.

Surely we don't need 2 large cars? Although, I don't fancy relinquishing the keys of mine long term to the Mrs!

davey21

RMS Regular
I know you have said it but iso fix is a good thing to have. Seats go in tight and then them bases are a must have.

6k budget and big enough car what about honda accord petrol or diesel. I wouldn t consider golf s or anything like that just personal choice but I would have thought they would have been tight enough with shopping etc.

last thing you wanna do is have loads of shopping in the back with wee one if they turn out like mine they start eating it on the way home 8o|

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
5 door GTi would be a good choice if she would like something sporty.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Don't mean big big but just decent sized. I swore I'd never get an mpv myself, now that I have one I'm very impressed it does the job very well.

mthompo

RMS Regular
Drives
Too much...
Trust me get a 5 door getting a child into a 3 door is a pain in the arse! We have tried to so it numerous times and after a month or so you regret it! Now I'm on to the galaxy but I have three kids, again like @saxo_man I swore never have one but I like the galaxy. You have no need for it with one mind you decent saloon or hatchback will be fine!

Congrats!!

Deckz

RMS Regular
Drives
Cars
As already said 5 door is the way to go lol

We have a Saab 9-3 and even it's a tight squeeze at times!

Thinking of getting a ****ing transit van soon lol

tomah

RMS Regular
Drives
Acura MDX
Showed her that.... "I couldn't drive that... Your getting warmer, but that's huge"...... :rolleyes:

At least we are going in right direction!

It's just down the road from you. Take her for a test drive.

Seriously, she'd get used to the size within a day or two. My wife has driven anything I've bought, from Vectras, to Accord Tourers, to the current A4 Avant. Most without parking sensors, which that A4 has.

That car is perfect for her. It's a classy mummy wagon. Big enough without losing style points.

Make it happen (y)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.