Potential replacement for wife's Mini?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Jethro

RMS Regular
Have babies suddenly got bigger than they used to be ?
My wife had a 3 door Corsa and never struggled getting the child in or out and never had to put a trailer on behind to transport a buggy and the multitude of other things that people think they need.

tomah

RMS Regular
Drives
Acura MDX
My wife had a 3 door Corsa and never struggled getting the child in or out and never had to put a trailer on behind to transport a buggy and the multitude of other things that people think they need.

I don't think anyone is saying it isn't possible to make do.

But if you're going to be changing the car anyway, you might as well get something that will make life easier and be more appropriate for the job.

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
A five door may be handier in some ways however we survived with 3 door cars only and we have twins now aged 11.

306 d turbo
E36 328i coupe
Astra gsi turbo
Astra vxr
Astra cdti sporthatch
3 door golf

Parcel shelf had to come out of the 306 for the twin buggy, apart from that we had no bother. Granted a 5 door would have been a bit easier but we don't do 5 door cars.

Reactions: Mel

Mel_45

RMS Regular
Drives
megane
Alfa 159? Love the look of them and there's a nice red one for sale in Ballymena with 52k. Diesel though so maybe too dull for her?

mthompo

RMS Regular
Drives
Too much...
Boot in them is meant to be horrendous.

Dad has that shape of focus not an st mind you and boots dead on gets the pram etc in when he has my ones no bother unles the st is different

mthompo

RMS Regular
Drives
Too much...

Agree with @tomah it's when they are a bit bigger lumping them in and out of a 3 dr is hassle. Might as well make life easier for the mrs she will thank you for it in the long run ;)

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Showed her that.... "I couldn't drive that... Your getting warmer, but that's huge"...... :rolleyes:

At least we are going in right direction!

Mine said she would never drive the A8, now she loves driving it!

Ceebl

RMS Regular
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
Cool looking, fun, 5 door and a boot? I'll just leave this here
qi6q.jpg

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3

When I was a wee nipper my mum got three of us into the back of a mini 1000, I also remember touring round France in dads 3DR 309 GTi with no problems

Mel

RMS Regular
Drives
S3
I've never had a 5 door car and have coped no bother, people really seem to go overboard these days when they have kids, as long as there is room for a pram and changing bag in the boot it's all good.

Simon83

RMS Regular
Boot in them is meant to be horrendous.
We changed to an 5door ST3 when my son came along. The boot is very shallow and our pram was quite bulky, so with the pram and a weeks shopping in the boot the parcel shelf used to alway sit up which did my head in. I think the boot is very shallow due to huge back box on the ST. I know the pre facelift St3 didn't come with isofix but you can buy the fitting kit from ford. After 18 months we changed the ST for a Jetta which has a huge boot and plenty of room inside.

Mel_45

RMS Regular
Drives
megane
All this talk about we COPED just fine with a 3 door. No one is saying you can't, the point been made is why not make life that bit easier for you on a daily basis rather than "coping"

euge07

RMS Regular
Drives
c220 cdi sport
2 doors is useless when you have a child
I have an e36 328i sport and a vw bora and she has a touran, although you can just about manage it, it is such a hassle, you will need a good sized boot for the pram, changing bag, once the child gets up a bit and your going visiting etc youl need to bring toys etc
Go for a 5door car with good size boot!
If she still wants a sporty petrol 5 door,,what about cupra leon,mazda 3mps, 5door gti golf,
Or a nice audi a3 sportback?

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
I have to agree with the comments about coping, it's been a while since I have had to worry about this stuff but we looked after our 6 month old niece last weekend and I had forgotten just how much stuff you need to carry about when you are out and about with a young baby and I drive an A5 which you would consider a small car, seriously you need 5 doors and a good boot, the coupe boot was hopeless.

wes

RMS Regular
Type r civic, when the childs old enough they will want to climb into there own seat anyway (well mine does 2yrs old) and just buckle them in, they have a decent boot too. Or the deisel 2.2.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.