RMS Goes to the 'Ring 2015: Live Photo Thread

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Portpatrick for fish 'n chips and then back to reality.

DSC_0140.JPG

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
So after a few days as the unofficial RMS taxi (with up to 6 persons at a time, and for those interested the boot is not that comfortable apparently) we thought the beige bus deserved a 'Ring badge. It took all the usual abuse that a hire car does as well as some passenger induced 30+ mph handbrake pulls (yes electric handbrakes work at speed).

As can be seen we decided to hide it in the boot behind a bit of trim as it was a hire car after all.

Last edited:

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
"
Just what I was thinking.

Sub 8 in the GT3 or send it back for a refund.

If the track had been clear, then Nigel would be able to quote you happy. When Cooper took me round the 'Ring", there were many accidents to slow down for - it was still a very hairy 8.40ish - fast enough for a 'Ring Virgin like me.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
No, not at all. Quite a few things have forced me to take a year out this year. Starting to get prepped for next year now though as I have missed it. Once the snow melts 2016 I'll be on the boat!
Very good. I keep promising myself to get back every year but there always seems to be a reason why I can never do so.
CSL still in play or did you sell it that time ?

justin_D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mud Monster
Very good. I keep promising myself to get back every year but there always seems to be a reason why I can never do so.
CSL still in play or did you sell it that time ?

Sold it as soon as it came home from Germany the back end of last year. Hard to do after 9 years, and probably over a thousand laps, but they way they are appreciating I couldn't afford to bury it in a barrier any more. I've a lowly standard one that is up on a ramp in bits at the moment getting ready for next year.

Arfur

RMS Regular
Drives
ST170/Passat TDI
Well folks that's it all done for another year.. What an epic trip and I do mean epic!! It gets better and better everytime I go......Even with the whole breaking down thing going on. If anything I'm thankful for that happening, if it didn't I wouldn't have ended up in the super swift- which is definitely in the top 3 most fun things I've ever done:laughing:!
@nigelmcg took me a pass lap in the gt3 and we had a good run with a corvette... F&@k me does that thing grip!!!! @Cooper took me a run in the 335d and redefined what I thought was possible in the grip and go factor of a diesel bimmer!! @Johnny_52 took me a run in the awesome Clio and I yelped like a kid... Sorry for that lad lol!!! @Marc @Coog @Cartunes thanks for the craic and we owe you dinner Del!!! @Paddy_R cheers for putting up with my "I don't give a sh!t" attitude to getting travel home sorted lol!
Now all that remains is to get the focus home next week and get ready for the next episode!!!

Oh yes ....and sort out my below par driving style lol!!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Had an absolute blast.

GT3 with Nigel, incredible
335d dancing the ring and passing stuff it shouldn't
First run in a 172 (ever) which was brilliant craic
My first ever drive of the 'ring and several laps after in a couple of different cars
And the craic/banter in general was great, despite the Metro bashing (bastids)

Could have done without the hangover on Friday right enough

Think I will sleep for a week!

Was just pulling the stuff out of my bag and came across a little something I'd totally forgot about.........

DSC_0141.JPG

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
I can't quite put it into words... 10 of us out there at the Green Hell, banter, great food, a few beers, surrounded by some of the finest performance and supercars in existence being driven flat out, at the worlds most challenging and exhilarating circuit.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
#Banter Wasn't Banned - I learned some new words too.
@Coog - you loved the Metro Bashing........... you even bashed it yourself a few times!
Sorry if I seemed aloof gentlemen, I was concentrating on the piccies! There were 5000 taken over the 4 days and most were fuzzy - first time out with new camera and lens.

Marc

RMS Moderator
Had a great weekend, as said above had a fantastic weekend.

The cars in the carpark were something else, never mind the cars putting laps in! Some great banter with all the guys mentioned above, great food - pistenkaluse for fillet steak on a stone highly recommended, amazing experience getting my first few laps of the ring completed, just watching some of the videos earlier and can't wait to get back another time.

Would highly recommend it to anyone, it's really hard to put into words how strange a place it is, this small little town with a 20km track cut through the mountains and hundreds/thousands of petrol heads wanting a piece of the action.

Have to say the hotel we stayed in was fantastic, tho the owners wife was something else hahaha!

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
How much was the trip both taking your car and as a passenger?

Looked like you had a blast!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Any dates for next year? I might even have a car by then!

Won't be released till next year.

How much was the trip both taking your car and as a passenger?

Looked like you had a blast!

Roughly £4-500 as a passenger and twice that with a car. It really depends on what you're driving, how many laps you do, what prep you do, time of year, etc, etc.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
If you go in your own car you are looking at the following costs:

Boats - £500 (that's both Larne-Cairnryan and Hull-Rotterdam)
Fuel - £150 minimum (it takes at least 2 full tanks to get there and back a lot more if you do a load of laps).
Laps - start at €27 if you buy 1 , €100 for 4 laps, €209 for 9 laps, €518 for 25 laps and €1650 for unlimited.
Hotel - £200 for 3 nights (that's approx what I paid I'm sure there are cheaper).
Food - £30ish per day.
European breakdown cover - £90 (for 4-5 days).
'Ring sticker - £7.

Is it cheap. Not at all. Is it worth it, most definitely.

Last edited:
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.