RMS Goes to the 'Ring 2015: Live Photo Thread

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Spa is wonderful! Get on one of the UK full-day open pit lane days, like Book-a-track. As much track time as you want, no queues, plenty of space out on track. I did well over 550 miles on track over two days, lol :innocent:

And no buses/tourists/bikes/etc.

Think it is only an hour or so from there to the Ring, should you want a double header. Sometimes you can combine with Zolder as well, never been there though. And obviously stopping by Anglesey and/or Oulton Park on the way :grinning:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Spa on a Saturday before 'ring Sunday/Monday might not be a bad idea. Sunday of the TF was mental with traffic. We could even base ourselves at the 'ring and travel out to Spa......

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
Spa is wonderful! Get on one of the UK full-day open pit lane days, like Book-a-track. As much track time as you want, no queues, plenty of space out on track. I did well over 550 miles on track over two days, lol :innocent:

And no buses/tourists/bikes/etc.

Think it is only an hour or so from there to the Ring, should you want a double header. Sometimes you can combine with Zolder as well, never been there though. And obviously stopping by Anglesey and/or Oulton Park on the way :grinning:

Have you done Spa Nicholas?

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Yes, done Spa in the Audi a few years ago. 750 miles there, 550+ miles flat out round the track for two days, then 750 miles back. Top up oil, then straight to B&Q and Ikea, lol. Got to love Germans, the Hondus would have been on a flatbed before it even crossed the channel :innocent:

The machinery there was out of this world - F40, yellowbird, etc. - worth the trip just for a walk down the pitlane :grinning:

Bound to be some pictures somewhere here, will dig around.

Amos

RMS Regular
Drives
What ever is in
I said it before and I'll say it again...I think the only way to do "The Ring" now days, is a private track day... Would love to do a day at Spa....!!!

The best trip in my eyes, would be a day at Spa for TF, private day at Ring, Then some TF at Ring.... Its just too busy these days.... A couple of years ago we where doing 25 laps in a weekend, and going back for more, on a Sunday/Monday....

The Destination Nurburgring days get great reviews. You are placed in groups of the same power cars/drivers, and let out at different stages....

Its great crack of a trip, but a lot of money and time for 10+ laps etc...

mcmurray

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Private track day with open pits was great in April. No traffic, and plenty of track time if you wanted it. Weather was sh1te though, so I'd love another run at it on a good day. Realistically can't see it happening next year though. :worried:

Spa Francorchamps

As great a trip as it looked on here, the ring doesn't appeal to me. Always looks crazy busy and there's not much room for error.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
Spa has always been one of my favourite classic circuits, just never had the cajones to drive out there and tackle it. The ring has that petrolhead nirvana about it but as McMurray mentioned, it's unforgiving and can be expensive if it goes wrong. I know that can happen with any circuit but the Nurburgring seems to hold greater risk.

I subscribed to RSR's email newsletter and they seem to be pushing Spa and some track they have in Iberia someplace. That could be that the ring needs no advertisement or there is maybe more interest in other circuits now the ring has gotten so busy.

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
I think anyone who has any doubts about the ring at all, has to go and drive a few laps. You can't compare it to any circuit as dwarfs any in the world in speed, size, technicality, plus the fact you can just turn up and drive.

For me, Spa looks fantastic but as a break/additional to the 'ring rather than the main attraction.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I would do it the other way - a full day or two open pit lane at Spa, and then a few laps round the Ring for the craic :grinning:

Spa has the same weather problems though. When I was there we had one brilliant day, and one day of torrential rain bordering on snow. You just never know what you get, and it is a long way to go.

I totally get the appeal of the Ring though. It will be done, just need to line up the stars :innocent:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I said it before and I'll say it again...I think the only way to do "The Ring" now days, is a private track day...

Have looked at those as well, similar cost to a private open pitlane day at Spa. Not bad value either when you consider the amount of driving you get, and no tourist traffic at all. As above, only drawback is committing to one day, as the weather can bring literally anything. With tourist driving, at least there should be a couple of days to hedge the bet as it were.

RoniN

RMS Regular
Best year ever for me was 2006 - Spa on the Thur, Ring on the Fri, Ring GP track on the Sat, Ring on the Sun and home on the Mon.
I have never seen the dates fall the same again.

Surprised you guys have never even stopped off at Spa just to see the track as its not that much of a detour.
If the tracks not being used and you get talking to anyone there they might let you walk the track. ;)

I think the Ring has got so busy now I would struggle to enjoy it as much as the old days :worried:

Great trip all, enjoyed your updates and glad to see everyone made it home safe.
What about the ST ???

Cheers

Last edited:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I think anyone who has any doubts about the ring at all, has to go and drive a few laps. You can't compare it to any circuit as dwarfs any in the world in speed, size, technicality, plus the fact you can just turn up and drive.

For me, Spa looks fantastic but as a break/additional to the 'ring rather than the main attraction.

Agreed. It may be a welcome diversion from a hectic busy TF weekend day, though as Nigel says - the craziness and buzz of the 'ring on any day is part of the fun. Hard to compare without having sampled both though :grinning:

Arfur

RMS Regular
Drives
ST170/Passat TDI
Great trip all, enjoyed your updates and glad to see everyone made it home safe.
What about the ST ???

Cheers

The ST is still at the ford dealers in Kempenich just down the road from Nürburg. All being well I'm heading over to bring it home this weekend, I'll keep the thread updated!! We never leave a comrade behind!!;)

justin_D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mud Monster
Best year ever for me was 2006 - Spa on the Thur, Ring on the Fri, Ring GP track on the Sat, Ring on the Sun and home on the Mon.
I have never seen the dates fall the same again.

That's lightweight:grinning: We drove all three in one day a lot of years back.

Early alarm call in Nurburg, breakfasted and early morning sprint to Spa for a trackday. Late lunch in Spa village and blasted back to Nurburg for a few of laps of the Nordschleife. Finished it off with a late session on the F1 GP circuit. And it was blue sky, blazing hot sun the whole day. Was a good day(y)

justin_D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mud Monster

This man knows his ****.

Spa is a fantastic race track and I really, really like driving it. But it is just that, a "racing track". It is wide & smooth so that F1 cars etc can hammer around it while racing each other, not ideal for heavy slow road cars. I've always thought that the M3 felt under-powered etc for it. Would like to have a go someday in something a bit more purpose built for the job.

The ring is indescribable to anyone who hasn't personally experienced it. No pictures, games, Go-pro videos do the track justice. I suppose I would say It's like driving a roller coaster in your own car and 8/9/10 minutes later you get off but will want to go again...and again.

Arfur

RMS Regular
Drives
ST170/Passat TDI
Don't forget to visit on the way past Crewe @Arfur - Steak on a plate if you can spare the time!
Cheers lad!! I don't think I'll be able to make it this time though, I'll have the old man with me and it's a boat to boat dash hull-cairnryan :worried:

Arfur

RMS Regular
Drives
ST170/Passat TDI
image.jpeg
So, the rescue mission is going to plan so far. No complaints from the car yet and lapped up a *test* blast through the forests before a 130 mph cruise down the autobahn.
Just got the run from hull to cairnryan and the boat then bobs your uncle(y) I'm so happy about making it to Rotterdam I pulled the car deck super gay pose!

Last edited:

Arfur

RMS Regular
Drives
ST170/Passat TDI
image.jpeg
And there we have it folks. My good old pal is home:grinning: a little bit late but home nonetheless! Big thanks to the AA and Heinz Grones Ford in Kempenich both organisations went above and beyond.. Superb service!!
Now..... Who fancies doing it all again next year??!!?!:grinning:

nigelmcg

RMS Regular
Drives
991.2 GT3 RS
I've got a good video of one of our laps but it fails to be processed by YouTube every time I upload it...will keep trying and get it on here asap...

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.