Speed camera van query

Smiths

RMS Member
Hey everyone have a big query,went past a speed camera van on the Sydenham bypass and I was wondering am I nabbed.the road is a 50 and I was doing 52.
Is there a 10% speed allowance still?
Thanks

Enda

RMS Regular
Drives
M4
When my speedo says 52 it shows as 50 on gps so you should be fine!

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
So on a Facebook forum and guy was clocked by hand held laser doing 91mph in what ever zone but wasnt stopped - proceeded to ask what will he be facing, etc...

I said if it was a hand held laser and not stopped he would be ok but someone replied to me saying that wasnt the case and said:

"That's not true, I was caught by a policeman with a roadside speed gun, just got the letter in the post a couple of weeks later with everything in it. Photos of my car, speed, gun calibration details etc. Bulletproof argument from them.
Just because they don't stop you doesn't mean you've not been caught."

Is this now the case or just a mainland thing?

purplea4T

RMS Regular
So on a Facebook forum and guy was clocked by hand held laser doing 91mph in what ever zone but wasnt stopped - proceeded to ask what will he be facing, etc...

I said if it was a hand held laser and not stopped he would be ok but someone replied to me saying that wasnt the case and said:

"That's not true, I was caught by a policeman with a roadside speed gun, just got the letter in the post a couple of weeks later with everything in it. Photos of my car, speed, gun calibration details etc. Bulletproof argument from them.

Always been the case. No need to be stopped at the time, just think of it as a camera van without the van🤣.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Flip I was always under the impression if you were not stopped there and then by the cop holding the gun you were in the clear

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Flip I was always under the impression if you were not stopped there and then by the cop holding the gun you were in the clear

It’s like most road traffic offenses - Police can send you out a 14 day notice of intended Prosecution. (Other offenses like those linked to RTC’s don’t need the 14 day notice)

Just like the camera vans the letter has to be posted within 14 days of the offense or else it’s not valid

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

Since when did the laser devices take photos ? never heard of that. They should, but has anyone ever seen any evidence ? Imagine how shaky a photo would be at a few hundred metres from a handheld

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Since when did the laser devices take photos ? never heard of that. They should, but has anyone ever seen any evidence ? Imagine how shaky a photo would be at a few hundred metres from a handheld
The basic handheld hairdryer style ones don't. There's far fancier shoulder mounted ones that have cameras on them.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I am talking about these yokes

1666366361151.png

1666366393421.png

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Top one maybe bottom one nope.

The ones I've seen used had a shoulder stock but it seems you can get ones that don't and look a bit like a camcorder

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
You don’t need a camera for the handheld ones - they wud just note the registration of the vehicle themselves or other police further along the road

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
You don’t need a camera for the handheld ones - they wud just note the registration of the vehicle themselves or other police further along the road

They really do need cameras....for evidence. It would be farcical otherwise.

And as others say, they only need to claim they have posted the NIP within 14 days, as they treat this as fact you have received it. And it would be up to you to prove otherwise. A bit like proving the earth is flat.

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
They really do need cameras....for evidence. It would be farcical otherwise.

And as others say, they only need to claim they have posted the NIP within 14 days, as they treat this as fact you have received it. And it would be up to you to prove otherwise. A bit like proving the earth is flat.

It’s hardly farcical lol
Their evidence is the police officers witness statements noting your speed and your vehicle reg etc.

Not Everything needs camera footage!

Enda

RMS Regular
Drives
M4
It’s hardly farcical lol
Their evidence is the police officers witness statements noting your speed and your vehicle reg etc.

Not Everything needs camera footage!
I was chatting to a friend last weekend and he was telling me he got 3 points for overtaking a car on chevrons when he had an unmarked police car behind him with 3 officers onboard.

He got an offer of 3 points on the spot or going to court but he would have no chance as there would be 3 officers statements verifying what he did. This is the road in question and there was nothing coming the other direction.

156CF386-47CC-43D5-887E-C21E61965D41.jpeg

Martyn

RMS Regular

I got stopped nearly a year ago at speeds in excess of what you have posted and was very surprised at how easy they were on me..

When I see speeds quoted 2 or 3 mph over the limit with points and fines I call bullpoo.

It did fairly slow me down though.

I think a heavy handed approach would have just filled me with resentment.