Stretch tyres are now a reason for MOT rejection

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Hot off the MOT press, still waiting for the wording of the letter, but basically anything that's not a 90 degree sidewall isn't accepted.....

Last edited:

'96dc2

RMS Regular
More fails and retest is what prompted this move..

Just to state I don't or wouldn't run stretched tyres, so it won't effect me :grinning:

'96dc2

RMS Regular
It could have been worse, they could have fitted 16" tyres to 15 inch rims..

That should be a fail.

Bazmcc

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Bora
some cars come as standard with what the mot would call a 'stretch', but the tyre manufacturers call well within safe fitment requirements. How do they deal with that one?

pablo

RMS Moderator
I doubt a single instance prompted a policy change to be fair, sure they done feck all about evos etc with hids and no washers.

Bazmcc

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Bora
Examples??

As above, M3s don't have perfectly straight sidewalls. Who said all stretched tyres show the bead?
So JCLC you're saying that 'all' stretched tyres regardless if the fitment meets all British and European Safety standards will be rejected as being unsafe?

15 inch tyres on a 16" rim is bull****. Photos or it didn't happen.

Here's a good example. I had wheels a long time back and at first I had Dunlop Eagle F1s on. Straight sidewall. When they wore out I changed to a Hankook of the same size and they looked like they were stretched because of the shape of the tyre due to it's construction. Both were well inside the tyre manufacturers sizes. How can one brand of tyre on a rim be illegal while the other of the same size on the same rim isn't?

Bazmcc

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Bora
By the way, a 15" tyre on a 16" rim is not 'stretched' tyres like we all know. Just someone using the wrong terminology that hasn't a clue what they're talking about.

Just a thought here but I know this is an easy mistake to make (for an idiot). Is there a chance that someone doesn't know how to measure the diameter of a wheel?
See pic below. Wheel diameter is measured from bead to bead, not from outer edge to outer edge (which would add an inch to the real diameter).

wheelmeasure1.gif

WSK

RMS Regular
Drives
R
Several instances, this Mini was the prompt for a centre manager to send an enqury

Sounds like a jobsworth. If it isnt safe, fail it. Like anything else which isnt safe.

Failing cars because they havent got a 90 degree sidewall is bollox, as said above lots of cars dont have perfect sidewalls...

Actually what is a perfect sidewall? who said 90 degress is better? the word 'stretch' is now nearly overused, some of the dub stretch's warrant the title stretched, but cars with slightly norrower tires than the rims is perfectly normal and safe, within reason.

Last edited:
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.