Stretch tyres are now a reason for MOT rejection

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

106lad

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 GT2 / 182
Id agree on the inner part of the alloy etc but the 90deg thing is mad.

Its unbelievable. The back of my M3 is on it standard; extrememly hard to get, and very expensive; Conti 245/40/17 tyres and they are not 90°

Similarly with E46 M3's they are not square.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
OP
NI_Volvo_Nut
Drives
Volvo's!
Its shows how many people read the full thread before posting lol

The correct wording is if the bead or inner wall of the alloy is exposed its a reason for refusal

As for pics of the Mini, didn't happen at my centre but if there is pic's I will certainly get them :grinning:

The wording of the manual states something about 90 degrees, if anyone would care to go look it up and post it fell free, I cant read it properly from the pic I have of the letter

56oval

RMS Regular
I dont buy the mini argument that it has singularly caused the introduction of a 90 degree or bead exposure rule, lets be honest if your car fails and it didnt come with a 90 degree wall to rim profile from the factory the mot centre havn't a leg to stand on so long as the tyres are factory correct sizings. Common sense has to be applied from the outset in governing what is acceptable, although if it wasnt for the common sense practice of stretching the sh*t out of tyres to get them under the arches i doubt highly that this topic would have risen.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
I agree with the above. The rear wheels on my bm are going to cause a slight headache for myself, but I want to put it through mot with them on as I don't see the point in swapping wheels about etc for mot. I see it as a way of admitting that you know the cars not roadworthy in the sense of an mot testers guidebook.

This is why I'll be for adapting the arches a good bit so that the wheels fit with tyres that aren't stretched a lot ( I may have to play about with sizes due to awkward widths etc, but well within guidelines for fitment).

jp112

RMS Regular
Drives
Exeo
5178036e1aedb44b0309ee135bae9c3d.png

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Classifieds soon to be filled full of BBS reps and Rotas as they will not fit on the Yoke no more with normal tyre sizes...

The only down side that I can see would be this...

DSC_0442.jpg

Reverting to this LOL

DSCF0065.jpg

Last edited:

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
OP
NI_Volvo_Nut
Drives
Volvo's!
I dont buy the mini argument that it has singularly caused the introduction of a 90 degree or bead exposure rule, lets be honest if your car fails and it didnt come with a 90 degree wall to rim profile from the factory the mot centre havn't a leg to stand on so long as the tyres are factory correct sizings. Common sense has to be applied from the outset in governing what is acceptable, although if it wasnt for the common sense practice of stretching the sh*t out of tyres to get them under the arches i doubt highly that this topic would have risen.
and yet someone else who didnt read the thread fully or correctly lol

56oval

RMS Regular
and yet someone else who didnt read the thread fully or correctly lol

Oh i read the lot, the mini prompted a call, so you think that this is a one off out of all the mot centres in N.I? i highly doubt it and im sure its a question that has been raised by every centre at some point in time or another as mentioned failures and retest. As you (and everyone else) im interested to see the "wording" of the letter, ill remember to read correctly in future. :confounded:

Last edited:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Tyres not properly fitted exposing the bead or inner wall of the rim will be a reason for rejection.

A BMW Mini was presented for test with 15" tyres fitted to 16" rims, this is what prompted this move.

Seen a car like that at one of the shows last year. Really not only does the owner deserve to lose their license, but whoever forced that tyre onto the wheel needs punished.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I doubt a single instance prompted a policy change to be fair, sure they done feck all about evos etc with hids and no washers.

Whilst the HID/Washer rule is one of the most ridiculous things ever dreamt up.....almost sure you will find that all the cars affected are actually Jap imports.

I dont think Ive seen a genuine UK car affected.

There was a BMW a while back where he did some DIY washers, not sure if he retrofitted the HID's though

pobmk4

RMS Regular
Drives
Caddy 2K
Tyre manufacturers design tyres to fit various widths of wheels (dependant on manufacturer). As I'm sure there's quite a few of you have seen the spec list for the falken tyres, which show a 235/40r18 can be fitted on a wheel varying in width from (I think) 8-10". So how is the "law" going to justify their argument against what a manufacturer states as safe!!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Tyre manufacturers design tyres to fit various widths of wheels (dependant on manufacturer). As I'm sure there's quite a few of you have seen the spec list for the falken tyres, which show a 235/40r18 can be fitted on a wheel varying in width from (I think) 8-10". So how is the "law" going to justify their argument against what a manufacturer states as safe!!

Are you referring to an official list, or that fake MS Paint one someone threw together to pretend stretches are ok ?

pablo

RMS Moderator
Its shows how many people read the full thread before posting lol

The correct wording is if the bead or inner wall of the alloy is exposed its a reason for refusal

As for pics of the Mini, didn't happen at my centre but if there is pic's I will certainly get them :grinning:

The wording of the manual states something about 90 degrees, if anyone would care to go look it up and post it fell free, I cant read it properly from the pic I have of the letter

your FIRST post

Hot off the MOT press, still waiting for the wording of the letter, but basically anything that's not a 90 degree sidewall isn't accepted.....

thats what you posted. If you'd posted about the bead/inner wall I doubt there would be half the outrage.

RoniN

RMS Regular
Well if this is the case I'm F*%ked

I have standard 17" x 7.5 alloys with standard fit 205/40/17 tyres all round.
On the back I have Dunlop and they are roughly a 85/90 degree sidewall but on the front I have Toyo's and they look stretched probably 70/75 degree and have a smaller kerb protector built into the sidewall which means you can see the edge of the alloy lip.

So how do we account for different tyre brands ????

Think I'll swing by the mot centre tomorrow and ask.

Cheers

jayme

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini/ A7
Maybe would it be possible to show that you have fitted the tyre within the manufacturers specification? I know that if you look or even a quick email you will be able to get these specs quite easily.

At the end of the day the manufacturer have spent vast amount's of money in R&D so they wont turn around and tell you that the tire should be suitable for your application if they are unsure themselves.

With regards to the mot center, if you have an older engine fitted into your car they test it on the emissions of that engine. you have to provide an engine number and some form of documentation weather its a printout or magazine clipping etc

I really dont see why people are worried, im sure most of you have a mot months away, so by that time the matter will be clearer.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Hot off the MOT press, still waiting for the wording of the letter, but basically anything that's not a 90 degree sidewall isn't accepted.....
Tyres not properly fitted exposing the bead or inner wall of the rim will be a reason for rejection.

A BMW Mini was presented for test with 15" tyres fitted to 16" rims, this is what prompted this move.

FIRSTLY, people on here need to replace a little haha.

First post is a bit misleading compared to your next one about the inner wheel wall and tyre bead.

Just to clarify @JCLC, are you saying slightly stretched tyres will not pass as long as the inner wall of the rim and the tyre bead aren't seen??

Regards to the 15inch tyre on a rim/alloy made for a 16inch tyre!

This is virtually impossible, I'm 99% sure there is a mistake in this story.

The bead of a tyre is made from steel wire, a lot of it. It Will NOT stretch to get a 15inch tyre on a 16inch rim.

The diameter of the wheel and tyre is the bead and Wear the bead sits, not the outer edge. So the correct size of tyre already has to stretch over the edge of the rim to go on, and on some tyre/rim combination this is very hard already hard to do.

If the 15inch tyre did indeed go on the 16inch rim it is very unlikely that the steel bead hasn't broke, which would also mean the tyre would fail to inflate or fail during inflation.

Hence why I believe there is a mistake in that story.

hippyross

RMS Regular
I had two different types of tires on my car, one set where black and round and the other set where bridgestones the wheels where 17" 7.5 the tire size was 205/40/17 the black and round tires had a a 90° side wall but the bridgestones had a slight stretch probably around 75/80° sounds like it I'll be a balls to implement.

Dub_cub 89

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo 6 / cbr400rr
When sizing tyres, I think more about those mid corner 70mph moments when you haven't time or room to alter your line to avoid a pothole or stone in the path of a wheel. If common sense comes into it, anybody who fails an mot for incorrect tyre size should be done for dangerous driving! Stretching tyres beyond their intended limits is just as bad if not worse than cutting springs (IMO)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.