The "WTF is wrong with my E46 now?" thread.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
Coog nailed it. They will lumber on hanging together, but to keep them in anyway good shape is an expensive prospect.

Matti_f

RMS Regular
Drives
van,Tucson,TTid
I've had two in my time a 330ci msport coupe and a 330d msport salon and have a real soft for them even still im considering one as a second car to our mondeo st tdci. My 330ci was my first "fast car"

However both mine had there issues,

330ci had:
*power steering pump
*calliper's and discs however this is a common and wear on any car just the 330 are harder on them

330d had:
Turbo, clutch, injectors, airbag light was ripped out of dash and I didn't catch on until MOT man pointed it out, abs sensors needing calibrated.

But even still I love them and a clean one lowered on standard wheels I still think is a great looking car, neither of mine had the dreaded arch rust thankfully and even when parts break they carry on rightly until you have the dollar or patience to fix them.

Matt

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I'm on my 4th lol. Just spent a day working at it. To be fair they're very easy spannered at compared to the VW's and jap stuff I've had recently. Even at that I did manage to bork it a bit but all good now lol.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
image.jpg
Sweet baby Jeebus. Bought one in September and now the Mrs is driving it. It had the same cat issue as mentioned, so it was decatted with a new exhaust and throws the EML light on every so often. Other than that, the only issues were a loose rear washer hose and a currently lightly bubbling passenger wing. Full history also.

anlygi

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR
6 cylinder petrols aren't immune either. In less than a year of ownership, aside from servicing and consumables:

Expansion tank, waterpump, hoses and thermostat.
Disa rebuild
Rear calipers
This is my job for the weekend (ccv replacement):

image.jpg

MOT next week, dreading what they might find.

I'm close to driving to work and parking in Divis overnight!

EDIT: forgot MAF. That's been the most expensive thing. It's more the unreliability that's annoying me. Part of me thinks I should have bought a Mazda 6. It would have been an EP3 if I could have found one with standard suspension at the time (insurance wouldn't touch a lowered one even though I'm in my 30s with full NCB, never in an accident and 0 points). Flux quoted me near £4k and Axa who I'm with wouldn't even quote lol. A standard one was £500 fully comp.

Last edited:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
so the lesson is by one of the 6 cylinder PETROLS then everyone lol

Every one I've owned has been a 6 pot lol.

Have also got this to contend with which is being covered under warranty thank goodness.

DSC_0301.JPG

Reactions: C4L

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Aye I did the expansion tank. The one that came off looked mint but I did it anyway. Handier changing it now than it burst in the middle of rush hour or something.

Swapped out the drop links too. Once the arches are sorted it'll be perfect (for a while I'm sure lol)

C4L

RMS Regular
frig! maybe a bit unlucky. I know the 6 pot petrols are renouned fairly reliable with the exception of suspension bits and pieces (bushes/balljoints etc.) which are consumables lol

C4L

RMS Regular
Every one I've owned has been a 6 pot lol.

Have also got this to contend with which is being covered under warranty thank goodness.

View attachment 78027

aye that's a ball1x, that's one thing that every e46 will prob experience, my nearside front arch is basically about 3square feet of rust lol but ill wait until the salt is off the roads to replace it, can get a set of front wings for £35 so would ye worry.. would ye fawk!

edit: atleast ur getting it sorted under warranty :cool:

brendy

RMS Regular
Aye I did the expansion tank. The one that came off looked mint but I did it anyway. Handier changing it now than it burst in the middle of rush hour or something.

Swapped out the drop links too. Once the arches are sorted it'll be perfect (for a while I'm sure lol)

My expansion tank has a leak
seems to like more oil top ups compared to the wrx
central locking from remote has given up
central locking from key has given up
horn stopped working there
steering mounted cruise control, awol.
drivers door mechanism was replaced a year or two ago.. going again.
new 20" front rubber just ordered.
Both monster-sized wing mirrors have decided to come off their rails and need stripping and refitting.
tv screen has a few garbled pixels though that's child's play compared to the rest I have to sort.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Ruddy hell Brenda that's some list!! Mine is taking a right bit of oil but its within specs so I'll just live with it, I can't be arsed doing any more for a bit. The expansion tanks are a bit of a balls to remove. At least the parts are cheapish.

mayweather

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 Evolution
I drove an e46 for about a year, never really liked it, thats including the m3's, they just never really impressed me at all and still don't impress me.

anlygi

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR

My arches are rust-free. Touch wood. I keep telling myself mine will be fine once all the wee weak links are taken care of. Getting married in August so not willing to constantly throw money at it as I should be saving for honeymoon. Anything else goes it will be getting sorned for 6 months!

Oil drinking is likely the ccv @brendy. Mine used very little until recently.

brendy

RMS Regular
Ruddy hell Brenda that's some list!! Mine is taking a right bit of oil but its within specs so I'll just live with it, I can't be arsed doing any more for a bit. The expansion tanks are a bit of a balls to remove. At least the parts are cheapish.
£35 quid or something isnt it from gsf from memory?

Crimson

RMS Regular
Drives
Daytona Grey S3
I had an E46 330ci msport for just over two years and loved it. Albeit though two parking sensors failed after 1 week of ownership - they seem to be soft as sh1te.

Apart from that I had the front discs and pads changed due to feeling shuddering on the steering wheel when braking after 8 mths of ownership and the rear suspension failed at one side after about 18 months.

I had one tyre deflate at the front nearside and then a week later the offside one went - but this was down to the tyre fitting place the previous owner used being incompetent at fitting tyres properly though.

I wouldnt touch a diesel E46 or an auto one - heard too many horror stories of swirl flaps and failed slush boxes....

I see my old one is up for sale in the classifieds on here ATM.

colin84

RMS Regular
I think I've had about 5 e46 330d's and a 320d. My first couple gave bother, but I still ended up going back to them for some reason. I find them really easy to work on, and if you know where to get the parts at the right price you can get things done as cheap as most cars.