Upgrade from Focus Sport to St3

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

hitandamiss

RMS Regular
OP
hitandamiss
Drives
Nothing
Too many taxi men driving Octavia VRS to put me off... Cupra would be a consideration, some of them on auto trader look so bad though lol

Peadar

RMS Regular
Drives
Cayenne
Too many taxi men driving Octavia VRS to put me off... Cupra would be a consideration, some of them on auto trader look so bad though lol

Taxi men drive them for a reason.. they're great cars! You are welcome to get a drive in ours if you want.

The interiors in the Cupras are horrific.

SMB

RMS Regular
Drives
A4 Avant
I had an ST3 many moons ago, great car.. Mpg will be low 20's but on a low mileage commute, it wouldn't be an issue..

I used to have a 70 miles round trip commute in mine.

Gobsheene

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini&Corolla
28? Lol

Mine was 18mpg with a 3 mile commute.

Unless you're getting a 2.0 newer one?

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
I have an 06 ST3 and genuinely get 31mpg, thats not going by the trip which would suggest 32.5mpg, that is me working it out from fill up to fill up. I drive it easy and I live a minimum of 6miles from anywhere I need to go so it always gets warmed up and gets to cruise for a bit. The majority of my driving being very relaxed with the seldom full throttle run when the road is clear. Not as bad as people think. Also as @jimcupra said, the noise alone is a good enough reason to get one.

gsmith

RMS Regular
I'd suggest if your buying a 5 door to buy an st 2 st3 is only 4 seats although maybe that's not an issue? All st3 (leather) are 4 seats. If your worried about fuel your buying the wrong car. My st was the best car I've ever owned hence why Iam on the market for another one. The engine is worth it alone as soon as you drive one you'll know why. 10 miles a day shouldn't really hit the pocket to hard. As for the tax most hot hatches are going to be dearer tax so shouldn't really worry about that. If you drive one be prepared to buy it. Fantastic car still miss mine. :worried:

SMcP114

RMS Regular
Drives
Austin Allegro
I had two ST's and I wouldn't even notice poor fuel consumption but I do remember thinking it was horrendous in both.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
But doesn't the ST2 have peasant spec cloth seats ?

Judging by the leather Ford actually use I'd say the cloth ones cost more to make!

Personally hate leather seats, could easily have bought a ST3 back when I bought the ST2 but chose not to mainly because of the leather seats. They're hot in the summer and cold in the winter unlike the superior cloth seats which are fine all year round. Don't know why any body would actually want them unless you have kids for ease of cleaning (their only redeeming feature). Also although the seats may be Recaro ones the leather is Ford spec which looks cheap (because it is). I did 50k miles in my ST and the seats still looked like new when I sold the car I know for certain that the same could not be said had they been leather.

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
Judging by the leather Ford actually use I'd say the cloth ones cost more to make!

Personally hate leather seats, could easily have bought a ST3 back when I bought the ST2 but chose not to mainly because of the leather seats. They're hot in the summer and cold in the winter unlike the superior cloth seats which are fine all year round. Don't know why any body would actually want them unless you have kids for ease of cleaning (their only redeeming feature). Also although the seats may be Recaro ones the leather is Ford spec which looks cheap (because it is). I did 50k miles in my ST and the seats still looked like new when I sold the car I know for certain that the same could not be said had they been leather.

Granted in the summer they can be a bit of a nightmare, (summer in n.i. isnt to spectacular so it is rare) but they are heated so winter they are great, just fire them up and its toasty time in a matter of minutes. I much prefer the 3's and when I wanted one it had to be a 3, wasnt overly struck on the seats in the 2's and any I came across looked slightly grubby.

neil205

RMS Regular
Drives
Cupra
Can't tell if you're quoting my tag or you're referring to the ST :grinning: in what ways? only 'downside' i've found is dear to run

Yea just joking, they are great cars and at 10 miles a day are talking a couple extra quid a week to have a much more fun car. I recently swapped my diesel audi for a leon Cupra and am happy everyday with my decision, I enjoy every journey and have something worth taking a bit of pride in owning

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3

Never noticed the seats in either the fiesta or focus being overly warm or cold and the seats in the fiesta still looked grand when I sold it. Granted the bolster in the focus is a bit wore but it looks and feels more like it has been damaged at some point. Certainly it hasn't got any worse since I have owned the car

Noel McQ

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS
Nice cupra in the classifieds there today I see (y) lot of work done and well looked after with low miles

Arfur

RMS Regular
Drives
ST170/Passat TDI
But doesn't the ST2 have peasant spec cloth seats ?
Peasant spec lol! My 170 has half leather seats, they look like shiny vinyl. Ford leather is not high or even average quality. When I picked the St2 that I had I deliberately choose it for the cloth interior to a add much needed dash of colour to brighten it up. But hey different people like different things.

hitandamiss

RMS Regular
OP
hitandamiss
Drives
Nothing
A few years ago all I wanted was a white cupra with black alloys now I've went full circle and don't like the look of them at all @Peadar hit the nail on the head about the interior! As for the leather in the ST I've yet to try one out but not expecting much from the reports

gsmith

RMS Regular
If your going to look at one even the cloth seats start to wear on the bolster but should be an easy fix. I had the red/grey cloth in mine the leather just done nothing for me but again not everyone is going to like the same thing. If I can find another st it'll be an st2 again but a facelift model. Also check rear quarters for rusting.

hitandamiss

RMS Regular
OP
hitandamiss
Drives
Nothing
There's an st3 getting prepared this week in Lisburn so hopefully get seeing that at the end of the week! Cheers for the tips, good to know what to look for

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.