Waxing after Polishing

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
Just a quick one folks...

Does anyone wax their car after a polish? Or use Wax full stop?

Im tempted to try a wax to give the car a bit more of a shine after a polish and hopefully something that lasts a little longer.

Im just after some views / experiences on it.

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
I use the Meguiars 3 Stage stuff, paint renovator (very very mild T cut), polish, and carnauba wax. Gets very good results but takes fooking AGES! :worried:

ian

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 Stage 3
yeah hav tried that stuff myself but very hard to get off i found

Bronk

RMS Regular
i wax the saxo evry wkend and use couple of other bits and pieces on it as well!!

Coan

RMS Regular
polish cuts and wax keeps, machine buff then lock in the shine with a coat of good wax and extra gloss. it'll be mint

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Cheers for the replies...

I am a fan of Auto Glym but they dont seem to do a wax... I use the shampoo and polish kit, but as I mentioned I want an extra edge :grinning:

I had seen the Meguiars and am very tempted by the 3 stage clean/polish/wax solution that you mentioned Scrob.

Ian / Bronk, what do you guys use?

aaron_m

RMS Regular
scrob said:
I use the Meguiars 3 Stage stuff, paint renovator (very very mild T cut), polish, and carnauba wax. Gets very good results but takes fooking AGES! :worried:

thats what i do too (y) did it last friday, 5 hours and she was shining, water beads nicely on it now:cool:

ian

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 Stage 3
try using the autoglym extra gloss protection very good results(y)

if i told u wot i used id hav to kill u top secret lol:-#

ian

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 Stage 3
i find it a nightmare to take off maybe its jus me lol:relieved:

Coan

RMS Regular
tell them nothing ian its trade secret, i told ian and bronk, taught them everything i know to do with minting a motor!!
give wee neils mg a valet on saturday, he sticks it in to the show and shine on sunday and lifts 2nd place!! like what............. thats trade secret/top secret elbow buffing thrusts :party: :party:

Baz C

Banned
wee_neiler said:
Cheers for the replies...

I am a fan of Auto Glym but they dont seem to do a wax... I use the shampoo and polish kit, but as I mentioned I want an extra edge :grinning:

I had seen the Meguiars and am very tempted by the 3 stage clean/polish/wax solution that you mentioned Scrob.

i'd use the autogylm extra gloss protection,(if you wanna stay with autogylm)
Muguiars retail stuff has never impressed me. you should try some zymol cleaner wax, gives good results

Coan

RMS Regular
auto glym wins competitions time and time again,its been about for years. all the big names car companys use it, personally i think Meguiars if a wannabe product that likes to be seen in maxpower for all the little boy racers. anyone ever remember Mer polish, excuse my spelling if its wrong,came in the blue bottle,boy used to sell it up at sunday market.. the stuff was a legend
extra goss if the dogs bollocks, or else a good bit of patience,a buff and some p2000 and a bucket of water.:party: zymol i found is good for the wheels

ian

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 Stage 3
yes still hav some of that polish coan called "mer" lol yes its dam good stuff

Coan

RMS Regular
did you know if you extra gloss your front bumper 3 times your car goes 15mph faster...

ian

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 Stage 3
didnt no that but did no neon washer jets give u 5 bhp

Coan

RMS Regular
i heard that but wasnt too sure, so i stuck on the neon valve caps, makes it spin the hoops in 5th gear. max power seatbelt covers make your chest hair grow faster too... keep that q.t but..

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
muc off miracle shine is really good contains every thing in one bottle and is simple to use.

Most Halfords stock it

mucoffmiracleshine.jpg

rsnutter

R
I don't wax, polish or even wash my car. When it gets dirty i have it resprayed, give the best results i find!

-Pete-

RMS Regular
saw you go past me today paul, car looking mint as always, give us your tips and tricks on keeping the rs clean and mint ;)

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
Coan said:
auto glym wins competitions time and time again,its been about for years. all the big names car companys use it, personally i think Meguiars if a wannabe product that likes to be seen in maxpower for all the little boy racers. anyone ever remember Mer polish, excuse my spelling if its wrong,came in the blue bottle,boy used to sell it up at sunday market.. the stuff was a legend
extra goss if the dogs bollocks, or else a good bit of patience,a buff and some p2000 and a bucket of water.:party: zymol i found is good for the wheels

thats completely arse about tit mate. autoglym is absolute ****e, marketed at the masses. The easy way to tell a good polish from bad is if it is dusty. ALL good polishes do not leave any residue, Autoglym is quite possibly the dustiest polish i've ever used. Meguiars is a far superior product IMO, its in a different league to autoglym, far deeper and glossier. zaino however is widely regarded by concours freaks the world over as the best there is. its price reflects this but its supposidly well worth it. i've talked to numerous people who say it only needs applied every 6 months, its that good.

the most important part of car detailing is the preparation. sponges are bad, use a microfibre wash mitt, they lift the dirt away from the surface of the paint and then release it when submerged in water again. its imperative to use two buckets when washing, one with your shampoo and one filled with clean water, both slightly luke warm. power washers and hoses with nozzles on the end are useless, i find the best way to rinse off is to just let the water flow out the end of the hose and it then "sheets" the suds off, leaving less residue and water and cutting down on drying time.

chamois are also bad, waffle weave drying towels are where its at now, they are far kinder to paint and retain much more water. I used mine to dry my car and my mums without wringing it out once.

stockingette or whatever its called is also crap, what you want is an applicator pad, preferrably microfibre again. soaks up less polish so less wastage and also applies the polish is a paint-friendly manner.

for removing polish also use a microfibre towel, the one i got from america is super-soft and is so much easier to use than that **** halfords sell.

if anyone wants any advice on car detailing i can pass on details of a very helpful chap from england who really knows his stuff and has introduced me to products i didnt think could ever exist, they're so effective. he can also source all the different bits and bobs you need to PROPERLY clean your car.

Baz C

Banned
think your the wrong way around lad, most hobby valeters use meguiars. I can get a great finish using autogylm products (as can alot of people). there is better products out there thou, I use zymol carbon wax which leaves a real nice finish plus alot of other products. Everything u said about detailing cloths and applicators is true thou.

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
autoglym does still give a good finish but is much harder to use IMO. meguiars hasnt been out over here for very long compared to autoglym so i'd be surprised if more hobby valeters are using it, especially when its half the price of meguiars (Gold Class). at the end of the day its all down to personal opinion anyway...

anyway here are a few photos to show you what this chap jon can do to a car with zaino.

"as well a lot of you know iam a massive massive fan of zaino car polish well in fact all their products

yester day i went to see paul at his garage and see if i could improve some paint problems on his evo sport

i will be honest and say the paint surface was worse than expected and there was serious laquer damage on every panel and i mean every one

i know paul wont mind me being honest

so at half 8 yesterday morning i set to work

now please bear in mind for me to detail a car properly not including interior i would probably take 3 good days

in this case i had 1 day and i had to do my utmost for paul as he was very depressed about paint and its condition

this includes washing ,clay etc etc but car had been washed in fairy liquid day before by paul at my request and dried off which saved some time
but i would like longer with the car as i think i could take it to another level yet

this removed all previous polish/wax etc from paint surface which allowed me to see what i had to contend with and that it was not being partially covered up by any other products

i used a porter cable orbital buffer using sonus sfx pads (different grades)
and zaino zpc along with 3M swirl mark remover to remove all or as many as possible defects from paint surface

prep is the key no doubt about it

if you dont take your time with it you will not get a good finish i have proved this to myself many times in the past and learnt by it
it also allows the product you are using to work to its full potential

zaino is amazing there is nothing to touch it
i say that with confidence as i have tried the lot and they dont get close

its not the cheapest but its the best and you use so little as paul saw that it goes miles

this car was prepped and then had 1 coat of zaino z2 pro applied and it was amazingly thin coat at that
the less you use the better it is
it then had one misted coat of z8 finale spray which enhances the depth

you can layer zaino and it gets deeper and wetter so the sky is the limit for paul now which can become addictive

i used the same microfibre cloths i sold in group buy
paul will tell you that he wiped some water from the bonnet just prior to my arrival from around the roundel with a chamois leather

bear in mind car is black and shows everything up and i mean everything
the damage that one wipe did was astounding
chamois and sponge and stockinette are the work of lucifer himself and will cause more damage thabn you are attempting to rectify

i know chris(billgates ) uses zaino now and has treated himself to a porter cable which willbe with him shortly and ben(the bootyman) has ordered a lot of zaino.

chris i know is happy with results and i know he will take his car to another level with the porter ben is still waiting for proof when he uses it on his amazing cab as he has been a meguiars man

so for any doubters here are the before and then the results

bear in mind like i say this was one day and detailing is a process which goes on and on but i think it illustrates what is achievable for those out there that want the best finish possible using the right products and taking time with prep "

quick pic of paint before hand:

evos003.jpg

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.