What Car Thread

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

106lad

RMS Regular
OP
106lad
Drives
M3 GT2 / 182
It states turbos have been replaced, though to be fair it does look a bit cheap so I would be a bit worried too lol

I think a 535d would be ruled out. theyre right up top end of the budget for average ones, where my budget will get a decent 530d.

106lad

RMS Regular
OP
106lad
Drives
M3 GT2 / 182
That's fair enough, but why bother if a diesel isn't actually needed!

if i get a saloon/estate etc i would prefer Diesel. mainly because the Diesel engine would suit the car a bit better. and resale would be better.
If i was buying petrol, i then id be looking more towards the hot hatch end. For example GTi Golfs?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Ah, thought you'd sneezed on your keyboard.

Not really if it's priced accordingly to be honest.

But sure why not buy a boring diesel to drive every day instead, just to relieve any fear of it being hard to sell when you're done with it! 8-(

Good ole NI mentality. Saves the good cars for the rest of us though.

I still have the GT2. Mosying about in a Diesel would make getting into the GT2 a bit more special.

Why not go the whole hog and buy a reliant robin! :p

MK5 GTI's are good value, decent MPG, quick enough to entertain, plus they're not a boring smelly old diesel.

Conor

RMS Regular
No experience of the 530d apart from the E39s but the 520d E60 I drove put me off the idea of another 4 cylinder derv completely. At least the 6 cylinder dervs feel like they have a bit of kick/drive in them.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
I wouldn't entertain a diesel. They are horrifically unreliable. doing 5k a year isn't going to be great for it and any saving on economy will be massively outweighed by maintaining it.

A 545i etc on LPG would be where my money would go. Better value than the diesel equivalent, way more toys, quick etc plus its still a different enough drive from the gt2

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
What about an E60 530i M-Sport, automatic?

I think a friend had one traded in last week.

106lad

RMS Regular
OP
106lad
Drives
M3 GT2 / 182
If i was buying a petrol 5 series id rather have an E39 M5.

Conor

RMS Regular
If you'd consider a hatch it's very unlikely you'd regret a MkV GTI. They'd be every bit as economical as a 530d.

Jason

RMS Regular

106lad

RMS Regular
OP
106lad
Drives
M3 GT2 / 182
Do gearboxes not give wild bother? they're up my list for sure.

*scuttles off to classifieds**

Jason

RMS Regular
Do gearboxes not give wild bother? they're up my list for sure.

*scuttles off to classifieds**
iirc the early dsg's had there issues with servo's etc and iirc the early manuals had a fondness of eating syncro's but thats standard issue with any 04-05 vag, i've had bearings/gears replaced 3 times this year already at handy money by gardiners.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Octavia vrs is a good call. Mine is surprisingly nippy with the k04. Should be great with the bigger blower when I get round to fitting the gt30. I've spent a minimal amount on mine and is genuinely quicker than a surprising array of cars - once you get grip. The only one modification I haven't made yet that is necessary is a good diff.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.