What estate would you buy? (5-6k)

BurningSmell

RMS Regular
So I had a cheap as chips 2010 Megane hatchback for 3 years which I never did a thing to and finally gave it up last November as it had too many annoying things wrong with it and my other half was cracking up I was driving a pile of dung.

Told me to buy something decent so ended up with a 2014 A4 TDIe Ultra SE Technik. Only other Audi I briefly had was an old B5 2.5 TDI V6. I do really like the current Audi, economical, cheap tax, loads of kit…….but it’s a saloon and I just can’t settle with it. It’s either been estates or hatches for me. I did look at estates when buying the Audi but like for like was at least 2 - 2 1/2k dearer.

Considering changing in July when mine is MOT’d again. Carting a Lab about, paddleboards, bikes etc.

So if you had a 5-6k budget what estate would you buy? I’d prefer manual, not overly fussed by mileage and preferably diesel as do run about the country adding the miles up. It’s not loads I appreciate, would you spend that or would you just buy something cheaper say 2 - 2 1/2k but still decent?

Any advice appreciated.

RWL

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
V70 D5, ideally one of the older 163bhp Euro3 engines with no DPF and you’d have plenty of your budget left over too 👍 I’ve got one on 165k miles, going like a train 💪 Ideally you want one with clutch & flywheel done if it is up the miles a bit like mine - I had to replace them recently and it is not a cheap job! 😢

Laundrymike

RMS Regular
Drives
T4, S3, Mini
Easy…that will budget will bag your and absolute belter of a facelift mk2 Octavia - they’re that good, I’m onto my 3rd now😂

111gsi

RMS Regular
MK2/2.5 Focus estate has a huge boot for its class if you can find one. Diesels aren't great though, probably safer with a petrol. Complete white goods, not much excitement about them but decent to drive.

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
So I had a cheap as chips 2010 Megane hatchback for 3 years which I never did a thing to and finally gave it up last November as it had too many annoying things wrong with it and my other half was cracking up I was driving a pile of dung.

Told me to buy something decent so ended up with a 2014 A4 TDIe Ultra SE Technik. Only other Audi I briefly had was an old B5 2.5 TDI V6. I do really like the current Audi, economical, cheap tax, loads of kit…….but it’s a saloon and I just can’t settle with it. It’s either been estates or hatches for me. I did look at estates when buying the Audi but like for like was at least 2 - 2 1/2k dearer.

Considering changing in July when mine is MOT’d again. Carting a Lab about, paddleboards, bikes etc.

So if you had a 5-6k budget what estate would you buy? I’d prefer manual, not overly fussed by mileage and preferably diesel as do run about the country adding the miles up. It’s not loads I appreciate, would you spend that or would you just buy something cheaper say 2 - 2 1/2k but still decent?

Any advice appreciated.
i think you well be hard pushed to find a reliable diesel estate that has some creature comforts for £2k without it having intergalactic mileage or obvious issues/aesthetically challenged. going from a 2016 SE Technik into a passat 1.9 tdi S might be painful

How many miles are on your A4 now? you might get a decent price for it and jump into an estate.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Straight 6 merc S124 or even the derv if you can get one.

Hewn from granite, comfortable, reliable and if you look after it will be worth more when you sell it on.

Mackers91

RMS Regular
Few have said above facelift MK2 Octavia! Either the VRS or Scout. Had both and would have another tomorrow great cars!

Darren91

RMS Regular
V70 D5, ideally one of the older 163bhp Euro3 engines with no DPF and you’d have plenty of your budget left over too 👍 I’ve got one on 165k miles, going like a train 💪 Ideally you want one with clutch & flywheel done if it is up the miles a bit like mine - I had to replace them recently and it is not a cheap job! 😢

I've had both the E3 and E4 engined D5s, I much prefer the E4 as its smoother and still does 900 miles to a full tank. I ended up removing the DPF & EGR however as I was mapping it at the same time but they caused me no issues. V70 (E3) had 160k when I got it and I scrapped it at 225k over 2.5yrs. S60 (E4) had 147k and now on 175k 1.5yrs later.

Only thing to watch when wayyy up the miles are the steering racks, they have a habit of exploding and writing the car off (like my old V70 :worried: ). Other than that they're great mile munchers and the leather suite is something else.

Mackers91

RMS Regular
Seen it few weeks ago, it was stinking lol was raging tbh haha
I think it possibly lives up round my neck of the woods see one in ballynure the odd time that looks identical and is always absolutely bogging.

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
I really liked my B6 passat estate.

fantastic space, and aside from the usual rusty front arches and electric handbrakes was a decent bus, do still regret selling it tbh,

BurningSmell

RMS Regular
OP
B
I do like the idea of a Volvo but just can’t come round to the V70, can’t put my finger on what it is about the look. Do like the V60 though.

i think you well be hard pushed to find a reliable diesel estate that has some creature comforts for £2k without it having intergalactic mileage or obvious issues/aesthetically challenged. going from a 2016 SE Technik into a passat 1.9 tdi S might be painful

How many miles are on your A4 now? you might get a decent price for it and jump into an estate.
Mine is sitting with almost 140k so quite high for the year. Probably wouldn’t be far off getting back what I paid.

Few have said above facelift MK2 Octavia! Either the VRS or Scout. Had both and would have another tomorrow great cars!
Have always had a soft spot for a VRS, hadn’t really considered a Scout though.

I really liked my B6 passat estate.

fantastic space, and aside from the usual rusty front arches and electric handbrakes was a decent bus, do still regret selling it tbh,
Had 2 B5.5’a which I loved. If I was going Passat would probably look something similar in age to the Audi.

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
Mine was a 2008 passat,
Sport, reverse camera, high line display, nav etc

version=1&uuid=3C12DBD2-9B07-4F55-AFEC-C5601406DEBB&mode=compatible&noloc=1.jpeg