WRC 2023

AidanMcG

RMS Regular
Drives
6R
Brilliant livery.

Will be one of the few weekends I’ll be wanting Neuville to win. It would also be great if Scott Martin and Aaron Johnston are on the podium at a minimum.

Definitely don’t envoy the job ahead that the WRCLive commentary / stage end team have ahead of them this weekend

DC.

RMS Regular
OP
DC.
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Going to be hard to watch all weekend.

Ott showing his class with not only that but taking the time to go to the Breen household on Sunday.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Going to be hard to watch all weekend.

Ott showing his class with not only that but taking the time to go to the Breen household on Sunday.
I've just caught up on the live broadcast from shakedown 1. Not in any way easy viewing :worried:

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Meeke has accepted the offer to fill Craig Breen's seat with Hyundai Portugal, driving a WRC2 i20N.

Screenshot_20230424_094222_com.facebook.katana.jpg

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Was glued to the live stream yesterday, was fantastic that Scott & Elfyn won and playing the anthem on the podium was a fitting tribute too.
Still struggling to believe that he's gone, so young, so positive, so capable. 8-(

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Was glued to the live stream yesterday, was fantastic that Scott & Elfyn won and playing the anthem on the podium was a fitting tribute too.
Still struggling to believe that he's gone, so young, so positive, so capable. 8-(
My wife was by my side when I was setting up a photo of Craig for a magazine cover shot the first year he won the Circuit.

She recalled last week the sheer energy around him before the finish ramp. It was one of my proudest cover shots ever, and sadly I never did get the chance for Craig to sign the magazine for me.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
What a beautiful touch by Hyundai Portugal, turning their Rally 2 livery to black and grey in tribute to Craig, as Meeke steps into the car to finish their season after the death of Breen, who was signed for the year by this team.

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
If he is legitimately that much quicker he will only need to cruise round to take the win.

Wonder what the Portuguese championship standings are like, are there enough rounds left for Meeke to challenge for it.

Google is not bringing me up an info. If anyone finds any websites put up some links.

Last edited:

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
If he is legitimately that much quicker he will only need to cruise round to take the win.

Wonder what the Portuguese championship standings are like, are there enough rounds left for Meeke to challenge for it.
I think this is only the second round, as Breen only done one round before his death.

KM got down to a 2.47.2 in the qualifying stage, which was 2 seconds faster than 2nd place.

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
I think this is the 3rd round.

They did Fafe which was part of the ERC and Breen got max points. Then Breen crashed out of the second round which was the one just before he died.
The this weekend is the 3rd round, and the WRC Portugal in 2 weeks is the 4th round.

EWRC to the rescue again. Season 2023 rally - eWRC-results

1682675497139.png

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
I think this is the 3rd round.

They did Fafe which was part of the ERC and Breen got max points. Then Breen crashed out of the second round which was the one just before he died.
The this weekend is the 3rd round, and the WRC Portugal in 2 weeks is the 4th round.

EWRC to the rescue again. Season 2023 rally - eWRC-results

View attachment 395893
Good man, I missed the first event.

KM has the ability, and I think the focus on doing the job for Hyundai Portugal, as well as CB's legacy will hopefully help him focus! KM has proved his pace time and time again, hopefully he can mellow into the job in hand.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Three seconds up after one stage would, to me, suggest he knows where he needs to be to manage the event. At least here's hoping!

AidanMcG

RMS Regular
Drives
6R
I can’t help to think that Hyundai is using Meeke in Portugal to measure where he’s at, so they can use him in the events that Breen would have been competing, such as Finland (where Sordo doesn’t enjoy as well)

salster

RMS Regular
Drives
mini
1️⃣
K. Meeke/O. Floats
2️⃣
M.Bulacia/D.Vallejo +8.3
3️⃣
A. Bach / A. Lopez +9.0
4️⃣
R. Theodosius/J. +28.5 +
5️⃣
A. New Year/L. Branch +32.1
top 5 after SS6

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
I can’t help to think that Hyundai is using Meeke in Portugal to measure where he’s at, so they can use him in the events that Breen would have been competing, such as Finland (where Sordo doesn’t enjoy as well)
As far as I understand it Meeke is driving a Rally2 car in WRC Portugal, not a Rally1.

But what would Meeke have to prove to Hyundai? His speed is without question.
Having confidence he can finish events is the only real question, and another event isn't going to move the needle much on that topic.

Last edited:

AidanMcG

RMS Regular
Drives
6R
As far as I understand it Meeke is driving a Rally2 car in WRC Portugal, not a Rally1.

But what would Meeke have to prove to Hyundai? His speed is without question.
Having confidence he can finish events is the only real question, and another event isn't going to move the needle much on that topic.
Weighing up more from where’s he at currently since he hasn’t competed in any proper rallies since 2019(?) and to potentially embed him into the Hyundai setup before any potential Rally1 outings (such as Estonia & Finland as Breen would have been competing in plus any others than Sordo may not want to compete in). Also to factor in, the other likely options available to Hyundai has previously competed for them (Mikkelsen, Solberg, Paddon)

Yeah he should be in Portugal in a Rally2 car as I believe it’s also a round of the Portuguese rally championship, so Breen would’ve been Rally2 for it as well.

I should say it would be great for Meeke to make a return to the top level and especially in events like Estonia or Finland where he revels in.