Stretch tyres are now a reason for MOT rejection

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

hippyross

RMS Regular
When sizing tyres, I think more about those mid corner 70mph moments when you haven't time or room to alter your line to avoid a pothole or stone in the path of a wheel. If common sense comes into it, anybody who fails an mot for incorrect tyre size should be done for dangerous driving! Stretching tyres beyond their intended limits is just as bad if not worse than cutting springs (IMO)

I think most people are taking about the 90° side wall because of some tire manufacturers have a slight stretch not the ridiculous stretched so you can see the inside of the wheel.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
OP
NI_Volvo_Nut
Drives
Volvo's!
your FIRST post

thats what you posted. If you'd posted about the bead/inner wall I doubt there would be half the outrage.
feel free to combine the 2 posts, I posted the info as I got it, as I said later in this thread, there is a reference to 90 degrees in the manual, but I'm not able to look on my phone so cannot clarify it at this time. As regards the inner wall and the bead, this information is accurate as I've read it with my own eyes. This is on an internal technical document so I cannot share it with the public, but it will soon be made available to the public.

As regards the tyre size on the rim, I think its impossible too, but i wasn't there so I'm not going to say either way.

As regards the Mini being the prompt, yes each centre has came across this at some point, but obviously there was something stupid about this Mini which has now brought it to the attention of the powers that be

Last edited:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
There may be a reference to 90deg. But it is of course a very flawed method, as many many OEM fitments will not fall into the 90deg category.

But something does need done. The big problem is that it may only be the MOT, and not actual police enforcement. They are two very different things.

Of course it is yet one of many many issues that need tackled. Ignoring incompetent drivers.

Cars with dangerous tyres and cars with dangerous ( or just no ) suspension should probably be fairly high up the list. It's no coincidence these sc3n3 cars or whatever **** they call it fall into both categories.

PeteM

RMS Regular
Drives
Passat CC
There may be a reference to 90deg. But it is of course a very flawed method, as many many OEM fitments will not fall into the 90deg category.

But something does need done. The big problem is that it may only be the MOT, and not actual police enforcement. They are two very different things.

Of course it is yet one of many many issues that need tackled. Ignoring incompetent drivers.

Cars with dangerous tyres and cars with dangerous ( or just no ) suspension should probably be fairly high up the list. It's no coincidence these sc3n3 cars or whatever **** they call it fall into both categories.

Add dangerously loud speakers and dangerously dazzling paint work to your DANGEROUS list

Bloody young people!

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
@JCLC Yey or neigh?

I would say that's fine personally.
Your bead is fully in contact with the lip of the wheel. Nothing wrong with that.
I'm not sure what they will be failing but I assume they're going to fail bead stretch as opposed to actual sidewall stretch.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I wouldnt say the above tyre is dangerous either. It just looks completely wrong for the rim and may be at the limit of fitment range though

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
@JCLC Yey or neigh?

The stretch or lack of it on that tyre is fine, looks like it could be the right size but just the design of the tyre with a not so square wall.

On the other hand there isn't a huge amount of tread left on that tyre, would be getting iffy enough in the wet ;) haha

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
The stretch or lack of it on that tyre is fine, looks like it could be the right size but just the design of the tyre with a not so square wall.

On the other hand there isn't a huge amount of tread left on that tyre, would be getting iffy enough in the wet ;) haha

Wouldnt be the greatest tyre to be truthful, you can see where the tracking was out as well on that edge. Just wondering whether to got for the same tyre width or up it a size.
As stevieturbo says its on its limit with regards manufacturers recommendations. A 195 on a 7.5j rim. Continental confirmed those specs in an email to @Pumesta which he kindly forwarded.

RoniN

RMS Regular
@JCLC Yey or neigh?

@Antoin - looks ok in the pic, I don't see an issue with that, as has been said, there's many tyres very similar to that as normal fitment.

@stevieturbo - Avo has been informed :grinning:

That's nearly exactly the same as the toyo's on the front of my car but the kerb protector on the toyo is smaller so you can see the edge of the alloy lip.
You say a 195 on 7.5 wide rim, mine are 205's

Cheers

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Wouldnt be the greatest tyre to be truthful, you can see where the tracking was out as well on that edge. Just wondering whether to got for the same tyre width or up it a size.
As stevieturbo says its on its limit with regards manufacturers recommendations. A 195 on a 7.5j rim. Continental confirmed those specs in an email to @Pumesta which he kindly forwarded.

Haha, don't worry was only joking. Father does tyres, and have grown up around them and it's one of the first things I automatically look at on a car now.

I can't see you being failed on that stretch, the bead looks to be sitting perfectly on the rim, meaning the inside wall of the rim or the bead wall can't be seen, and given that in that picture you can just about so the rim edge shows how little the stretch is, to the point that I nearly wouldn't car it a stretch.

And the fact that the tyre looks to have a gradual sloping rim guard makes the wall less square even on the correct (narrowest) rim width.
(rim guard-tyre wall sticks out past the rim edge to protect, not all tyres have this)

Dub_cub 89

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo 6 / cbr400rr
image.jpg
That's a 255/35/19 on a 10" wide rear rim, wouldn't think that size would be too bad for MOT although I'd ideally want 265s... Excuse the dirt:oops: and baldness:laughing:

jonny.92

RMS Regular
I have 9.5" on the rear of my golf with 215/35 on.. Quite a bit of stretch and likely will change them in the future but I was changing the fronts which are 8" to a new set of 215/35 and wanted lower profiles on the rear so put the ones that were on the front onto the rear. Despite them being stretched, the bead is fully in contact with the inner lip, but they would fail on this new rule for sure.. Gonna have to look at changing them to 225/35 or something.

2.2_Coupe

RMS Regular
Drives
amps/volts
Albeit I was in on Saturday, but my 235/35/19s passed on a 9.5J without issue

Attachments

• IMG_1468[1].JPG
    IMG_1468[1].JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 169

2.2_Coupe

RMS Regular
Drives
amps/volts
Dont be buying Yokohama Advan AD08s then haha! I only do about 1200 miles a year, I reckon youd be on a wing and a prayer to get 8k miles out of a set, at £226 a tyre

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.