Stretch tyres are now a reason for MOT rejection

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

corsacj

RMS Regular
why do people fit stretched tyres? to fit wide/low offset wheels.

Ofcorse, but thats an example of someone not considering all elements; a bit more arch work, or camber, higher ride height or even a more streched tyre and it wouldnt be shredded like that. Putting a car on the road where an arch is going to hit the tyre is being a ****, but its not the fault of a streched tyre

Sonny

RMS Photographer
Think this will pass?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 166

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Haha, sure a bit of black tape from the outer rim to the tyre and nobody would notice ;)

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
The past few posts in this thread show exactly why there needs to be some common sense enforcement of such dangerous practise.

What those idiots are doing to tyres is beyond ridiculous and those guys should never be allowed to work near cars that see a public road, or are near any other people or vehicles.

Jamesc

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi TT, A4
Saw that fiesta S0NNY posted on facebook earlier thought the stretch was ridiculous, and im not a stretch hater my self i run stretch on the TT, but there is a limit to what looks good and what looks **** imo. Not to mention the fact more tyre surface on the road = more grip etc

Though i think ill probably be hit or miss weather or not my stretch is a pass or not, Fronts is just slightly off but this is the rear.
1240312_10153431723190413_1549689373_n_zpsd57fd5c5.jpg

jp112

RMS Regular
Drives
Exeo
Funny enough I was gonna mention that fiesta. Seen it Sunday and thought boke. Don't drive too fast on that death trap of yours!

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
@JHXR Just because a tyre holds air straight after being inflated doesn't make it safe.

The fact he had to use a tube to seal the tyre/rim and the distance between the tyre bead and rim wall shows how ridiculous putting the narrow a tyre on that rim is.

A rim has a bead seat, that the tyre bead should neatly fit in, which is between the rim edge wall and a tiny hump on the inside. Shown in the picture below, blue dot is the tiny hump.

uploadfromtaptalk1398125269440.jpg

The bead on the tyre on the correct rim size will natural want to go in the seat area, but just needs the air to push it over the hump.

That hump and the air inside the tyre is all the keeps the tyre from caving in while cornering, or at the stress high speed puts on the tyre, with such a severe stretch as that the tyre once inflated will want to pull itself back over the hump to its natural width, with the forces of driving and normal/safe air pressure in the tyre, the air pressure is not enough to hold the tyre out.

Hope that makes some sense, it's late.

Also I'm not against stretched tyres, done right I think it can look good and can also help with tyres rubbing arches etc. just as long as it's within the safe guidelines of the manufacture.

Personally with the odd spirited drive I do I'd rather have a nice strong square, none stretched tyre.

Tho I do have a set of rims with a small stretch on the tyres and will use them until the tyres are worn as I bought them with tyres and they are nearly new. Unless I get told by mot or police that they aren't safe (which they are as it's a tiny stretch)

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I thought of your car failed an mot, it's not allowed to be driven until the retest.

You're allowed to drive to/from the MOT test. Nowhere else

Some will claim also to/from a place of repair, but Ive never seen any legal evidence to support that claim.

But a prohibition can be placed on any vehicle deemed dangerous or unsafe to be driven and can happen during any inspection by police or DVA etc.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
You're allowed to drive to/from the MOT test. Nowhere else

Actually? I have a jeep here with no mot, and I'm getting it ready atm can so can I actually legally drive to mot

Tho it also doesn't have tax which doesn't help :worried: but need mot to get that.

RoniN

RMS Regular
I thought of your car failed an mot, it's not allowed to be driven until the retest.

If it fails mot you can drive your car to one place, be that home to fix yourself or to a garage to get the work done.
You can then drive back to the mot centre for the retest from your home or the garage that repaired it.
You cannot drive it home, then to a garage to get fixed, then home and then to the mot retest.

If the mot guys place the prohibition on the car you cannot drive it anywhere until its fixed, have seen people drive off from the mot after a prohibition has been placed on the car.

Actually? I have a jeep here with no mot, and I'm getting it ready atm can so can I actually legally drive to mot

Tho it also doesn't have tax which doesn't help :worried: but need mot to get that.

Yes you can drive straight to your mot test and back you don't need tax for it.

Cheers

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.