Who is the most hated on the road?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

T66 DNP

RMS Regular
Drives
320i M Sport
I noticed the same when I was looking for the law stating it was illegal for cyclists to ride two abreast.

It is not illegal for cyclist ride two abreast...in fact, it is encouraged! (pending road / traffic conditions)

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Have another one.

The idiots who are stuck behind a slow moving car and decide to sit up that cars tail pipe and constantly have to slam on their brakes. Just hang back and go a steady speed your not gaining any ground by riding their bumper

Überdub

RMS Regular
Drives
Saab VW French
Surprised no one has mentioned motorcyclists yet!

Nothing seems to infuriate other road users than a motorcyclist filtering through traffic.

Most drivers seem to think it's illegal and some blow their horn or even open their door as you filter past to try and stop you!

I don't mind them doing this if they are doing it cautiously but it's annoying if you're in the front of the queue waiting at a red light and, after doing it they don't sit to your right where there is room but pull in in front of you about two feet from your bumper. Then sometimes they don't even have the common decency to take of like a bat out of hell on red-amber. Killing offence. :mad:

Überdub

RMS Regular
Drives
Saab VW French
Drivers in the wrong lane at Knocknagoney who then drive straight into the left lane nearly causing a crash..

Knocknagoney_wrongpath_zps9e7e27e7.png

... and the other side where people just leaving the Holywood Road and in the lane for the Sydenham Bypass only, drift over into the inner lane (Bangor bound) because they are actually going to Holywood Exchange.

T66 DNP

RMS Regular
Drives
320i M Sport
Philistines ;)

Get yourself out on a bike and try experiencing things from a different perspective.

Edit: If I get KO'd, hope this isnt my obituary!

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
It is not illegal for cyclist ride two abreast...in fact, it is encouraged! (pending road / traffic conditions)
It's not illegal to ride 3 abreast either, the point being made that such law does not exist but the advice given Highway code is oft misinterpreted.

Gaz86

RMS Regular
I noticed the same when I was looking for the law stating it was illegal for cyclists to ride two abreast.

It's not illegal to ride 2 abreast, you must not ride more than two abreast however.

Philistines ;)

Get yourself out on a bike and try experiencing things from a different perspective.

Edit: If I get KO'd, hope this isnt my obituary!

I have done on many occasions, I know what it's like, but I still wouldn't ride more than 2 abreast! It's just inconsiderate to other road users.
In fact even if I was out riding with someone I'd still pull in to the side

T66 DNP

RMS Regular
Drives
320i M Sport
I am not disagreeing with you Gaz...I never cycle more than two abreast and always try to single up when the traffic starts to build up. It's about trying to be aware of your environment and adjusting to the conditions accordingly. I have pulled over to the side on numerous occasions when the articulates are trying to get past lol.

Also, realistically, as a motorist - how much extra time does it put onto your journey waiting to get past a cyclist? about 30 seconds? A minute? Think I would rather take those 30seconds than knock someone down.

T66 DNP

RMS Regular
Drives
320i M Sport
More inconsiderate for some t*at to drive past you at 60mph, barely giving you any space, and then nearly taking you along with them for the ride!

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
I am not disagreeing with you Gaz...I never cycle more than two abreast and always try to single up when the traffic starts to build up. It's about trying to be aware of your environment and adjusting to the conditions accordingly. I have pulled over to the side on numerous occasions when the articulates are trying to get past lol.

Also, realistically, as a motorist - how much extra time does it put onto your journey waiting to get past a cyclist? about 30 seconds? A minute? Think I would rather take those 30seconds than be knock someone down.
Likewise consider attempting to overtake a group of cyclists. 20 bikes in a line is a lot harder to pass safely as it ultimately takes more space than 2x10. I can't think of any situation where I would want a vehicle in the middle of a group I was leading because a driver ran out of talent or space.

Regardless of whether it is or isn't, it's still bloody inconsiderate [shakes fist]
I can't agree more.

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
When cyclists pay road tax, insurance and have a yearly mot to ensure their bike is roadworthy then and only then should they be allowed to ride more than one abreast.

Until then, get out of the ******* way! :grinning:

johnm

RMS Regular
The vast majority of cyclists here too.
Just that time I entcountered a full blown pack on Finaghy Rd South and they made no consession for other road users. so when I did get round them I made damn sure to cut in nice and tight with a foot down to give a nervous wobble to some and a nice big black reek cloud to all.

Another time, riding two abreast on the upper lisburn road which has a pretty wide cycle lane and going slow blocking traffic.

Honestly both times ive wished I've had eggs or fruit or something in the car to chuck at them.

If they're considerate though or on dude on his own cycling properly then I'll make space and not be a wab.

Gaz86

RMS Regular
More inconsiderate for some t*at to drive past you at 60mph, barely giving you any space, and then nearly taking you along with them for the ride!

Agreed, it is! I'm not guilty of it personally but riding more than 2 abreast just antagonises drivers even more! lol
Hence why the rules say you must not do it, it causes problems for other motorists.

None of us "own the road", we all need to share it and be considerate to one-another, riding in a large cluster is not being considerate. This isn't aimed at you personally but the way, just a general statement. I've nothing against cyclists, just the inconsiderate ones that think they can block a road unecessarily, cut in between cars or come flying down the inside skimming your car on the way past or pulling out from side streets/roads without even looking and expect you to just move out of their way,

But hey, it's their funeral not mine!

T66 DNP

RMS Regular
Drives
320i M Sport
I pay road tax for my car, that not cover me lol?

Failing that, when my skinny tires start tearing up the tarmac with all that bhp I'm putting out, then I'll happily pay road tax.

Gaz86

RMS Regular
When cyclists pay road tax, insurance and have a yearly mot to ensure their bike is roadworthy then and only then should they be allowed to ride more than one abreast.

Until then, get out of the ******* way! :grinning:

Actually, all tax payers pay for the roads, not just those who pay VED, again this is something that's been heavily debated for a long time. VED (road tax as most call it) apparently doesn't pay for the roads, local tax does.

Feel free to debate amongst yourselves, I've got work to do..... which I pay tax on.... which ermmm helps pay for the roads :p

Perhaps it's cyclists on the dole that should be banned??? But then how would they get to the brew office?? That's another debate

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
People who assume your letting them out just because you have stopped before the yellow crossed box. And they give a wee wave and all to say thank-you. Then they proceed to sit in the yellow box for 5 more minutes until the traffic clears.

image.jpg

Happens in Lurgan frequently.

Last edited:
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.