F1 2015: All Chat Here

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
If you don't like it - don't watch it. #simples

I'll agree with you it's not the same as years gone by but it would cost far too much to make all those changes in one fell swoop.
I'd love to see limited aero, high revving NA engines, refuelling et al but the powers that be don't see it our way so we are stuck with it for the next 2/3years at least.

I'm only trying to be positive :grinning:

Marc.W

RMS Regular
Drives
Lupo GTI

Before today's race I would've said that they're just throwing the toys out of the pram but the engine regulations are going to end up ruining the sport, they are getting tighter and tighter every year pretty much ruling out a new manufacture coming to F1 and today's race was a terrible showing of reliability from half of the manufactures

lackingBHP

RMS Regular
Drives
mediocrely
I like this new look F1......knowing who has it won the day before the race saves me getting up at at 5am to watch it. Actually knowing the championship is also already sorted means I won't loose a Sunday all year!

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Horner would change his tune if he had a Mercedes power unit in the back of his cars, that's for sure.

But I'm sure Honda's struggles will deter anyone new coming in.

McLaren couldn't get rid of Mercedes quick enough at the end of last year. "made their bed…now they're lying in it".

Delboy23

RMS Regular
Drives
EP3
Before today's race I would've said that they're just throwing the toys out of the pram but the engine regulations are going to end up ruining the sport, they are getting tighter and tighter every year pretty much ruling out a new manufacture coming to F1 and today's race was a terrible showing of reliability from half of the manufactures

Agree with you, even worst now with 4 engines allowed this year. Can see redbulls argument though, apparently 100hp down on merc and they can't really do much about it with the limited engine development allowed.

Not surprised if they do quit to be honest with the rules being the way they are.

jimcupra

RMS Regular
What a daft comment I have followed f1 all my life been to many races over 40 in fact. I love f1 my house is a shrine to ferrari. What I hate is what they have done with the rules.
A turbo engine from the 80s or a v10 made every hair on your body stand on end. Then we had the drivers from lauda and hunt to prost and senna, **** even the Schumacher domination. All was better than this.

If you don't like it - don't watch it. #simples

:grinning:

Delboy23

RMS Regular
Drives
EP3
A turbo engine from the 80s or a v10 made every hair on your body stand on end. Then we had the drivers from lauda and hunt to prost and senna, **** even the Schumacher domination. All was better than this.

The V10's I think were the best engine. The noise of them things alone made the hair on your neck stand up!

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
I'm sorry you feel this way, @jimcupra but it's not my doing. Honest.

If I had Bernard Ecclestone's number I would pass it on to you.

PS: I'd love the V10s to return.

jimcupra

RMS Regular
I was replying to your comment " if you don't like it don't watch it".
I'm sorry you feel this way, @jimcupra but it's not my doing. Honest.

If I had Bernard Ecclestone's number I would pass it on to you.

PS: I'd love the V10s to return.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
That's just my usual retort to anyone who has a go at something on TV. (similar to folk complaining about how terrible Top Gear is)

jimcupra

RMS Regular
But it isn't a TV programme it is supposed to be the pinnacle of motor sport. The best cars, engineers and drivers competing for the holy grail. To be the best in the world.
I have spent thousands of pounds following it and it really does make me sad when I watch it.
That's just my usual retort to anyone who has a go at something on TV. (similar to folk complaining about how terrible Top Gear is)

Keep an eye on the classified section some top class f1 memorabilia for sale soon :p

300trophy

RMS Regular
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
It was a similar story at the beginning of last season too with the engine and noise etc. I'm willing to give it a chance and it should get more competitive through the year... Hopefully!

Reactions: DC.

Tedtiler

RMS Regular
Drives
St246 caldina
Was just thinking about this earlier as I tried to stay interested watching the highlights. Used to piss off a number of girlfriends years ago watching this religiously. Not going to slag it off, I'm just disappointed its not worth watching anymore.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR

Yes yes, was a different tune when the regs suited them though :p

But it is true Merc have nailed the political side, and own the regs. Just like Audi have done in Le Mans, and so on. So we are getting a one-make F1 race series.

Something has to change when even Honda have no chance of designing an engine to the new regs, which are clearly written to make it impossible for any new entrants.

By the way, that Honda/McLaren was conspicuously bereft of any kind of sponsor graphics...

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
As for the race itself, as expected out front.

Vettel is still the luckiest driver on the planet, lol. Jumps ship to Ferrari, just as they magically happen to make a massive improvement, and RB got stuck in reverse gear :p And then nothing happens to his car, while Kimi suffers one problem after another :innocent: Have we seen this pattern before?

Kimi seems a lot happier, was actually pretty close to Vettel despite all his problems. A shame about that wheel messing things up.

Sauber was the surprise of the race, Williams doing well as expected.

And the McL completing a race distance, yay :party: Loved Button before the race, with his "positive" speech :cool:

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
I watched the "highlights" on BBC yesterday afternoon and christ on a bike, I don't think I've been that disappointed in an opening season race in years. Both Mercs while we knew they were going to be quick seemed to just take off and were never seen after the first 2 laps; An already reduced grid having at least 4 cars not make the grid and only 11 finish.

It was like watching some obscure single seater racing from the US or something, absolutely awful. You know F1 is in trouble when the only excitement from the race was the odd Sauber overtake and waiting to see if anything else retires so Button can get a point.

Edit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/31895609

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
Watched quali last night and the race this morning. I thought it was in interesting race, certainly wouldn't have called it boring. Looks like there will be a great battle for 3rd between the Ferrari, Williams, red bull and Sauber this season with Torro Rosso possibly joining the fight too.

Ham dominated Ros this weekend, think he had plenty in the tank. I'm really conflicted over Vet in the Ferrari, I really want to see him do well just to shut up the people who doubt his talent but I really dislike Ferrari. The team definitely think they have a good car though.

Rookies done well, I love seeing young drivers from the feeder series on the track in F1 cars, they dart around the track and show the nose at any oppertunity.

On the whole, if the mercs just stroll off into the distance (and are ignored by the cameras) I think the race behind will be really interesting with 4 or maybe 5 teams battling it out for the best-of-the-rest title.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
I think it may be good as well, just ignore the mercs up front running their own race. Very close between Ferrari and Williams, even Sauber and Lotus could get into that fight as dark horses.

Having said that, the races are really boring because they have to coast around so much, to save fuel or tyres or whatever, instead of racing. Massa was stuck about two seconds behind Vettel, just sitting there for the points or to save fuel or whatnot, instead of going after him. Same before the pit stop when the roles were reversed, in the end Vettel only got "past" because Massa got caught in traffic on his outlap.

Same too with Nico behind Lewis. Ok, I agree, Lewis would probably have come out on top if they had raced for it, but clearly they were just cruising the distance without any kind of challenge.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
there was a car in the pits and it sounded like it was going to conk out it was that bad. horrible sound

Think it was the Sauber, when Ericsson was sitting there forever fighting a wheel in the pits? Coulthard commented they sound like a tractor at idle, lol :grinning:

An already reduced grid having at least 4 cars not make the grid and only 11 finish.

Just realised that too, only 11 cars finishing... All from "engine" attrition... Except Maldonado, of course, in the wall already on the first corner, lol - though in fairness, for once not his fault :innocent:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.