Cars you never knew existed

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
The first one was a prototype for a mid engined group B car, so it would have had to be homologated with a number of road cars built. Group B got killed off before that could happen.

The group S was supposed to be spaceframe cars with no requirement for road cars. Just pure race cars. That series got canned before it even got off the ground.

Modern rally cars are kind of in between.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Modern Rally 1 cars are essentially space frame cars with shells that look like road cars ish. No need for homologation road cars either.

RCT

RMS Regular
I've seen the Group S prototype at a museum in Germany. Is it the same car just with a quattro square front?

They had that out in at the Eifel Festival in Germany when I was there. The museum always ran a few cars. Different type of car. There were a few manufacturers did them in various setups. Toyota did 2x MR2’s one has engine longitudnal and one transverse.

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
I wonder what was the idea with blowing the exhaust forwards.
1705666805410.png

Gaz

This space available for rent
OP
Gaz
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
550i twin turbo 🫢

Evo had one of them in black on a 6 month test (I think) a while back, pretty sure it was John Barker who had it. Spoke very highly of it and likened it to a junior M5. I'd say with a remap or even Stage 1, it would comfortably sit with an M5 and be even more of a sleeper (although granted, the M5 isn't that lairy looking anyway).

The F10 550i was around 400bhp, and the successor made about 520bhp iirc, so either edition would be a very capable and fast saloon for much less ££ than an M5.

Gaz

This space available for rent
OP
Gaz
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Case in point!

1706092170146.png

1706092215565.png

Would they give same engine trouble the F10 M5 does?. Isn't it big ends that fail on them?.

I think so. Though you can buy ACL race big end bearings for £300 so it's not a hugely expensive job to pre-empt any issues before they happen.

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
Evo had one of them in black on a 6 month test (I think) a while back, pretty sure it was John Barker who had it. Spoke very highly of it and likened it to a junior M5. I'd say with a remap or even Stage 1, it would comfortably sit with an M5 and be even more of a sleeper (although granted, the M5 isn't that lairy looking anyway).

The F10 550i was around 400bhp, and the successor made about 520bhp iirc, so either edition would be a very capable and fast saloon for much less ££ than an M5.
Tremendous bork potential in the 11-13 models. 14+ better but bmw V8 bork-able

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaz

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
friend in school's uncle had one and always thought it looked like a compact hearse lol think they were fibreglass.
Great cars. When I was a kid my dad had 3 of them.

The one in the photo above is a SE6, we had a white one of those.

He had 2 SE5s which were earlier and a nicer looking car.

The first one was a lovely mustard yellow one which had great bodywork, but unfortunately cut out and burst into flames, we still have one of the half melted wolfrace wheels in garage 😂. With the insurance money he bought the white SE6 and another SE5 that was mechanically great but had terrible paint.

Lovely cars let down by the ****ty Ford engine. The Essex V6 weighs a bloody huge amount. Always liked the idea of one with a lightweight V8 in it.

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Great cars. When I was a kid my dad had 3 of them.

The one in the photo above is a SE6, we had a white one of those.

He had 2 SE5s which were earlier and a nicer looking car.

The first one was a lovely mustard yellow one which had great bodywork, but unfortunately cut out and burst into flames, we still have one of the half melted wolfrace wheels in garage 😂. With the insurance money he bought the white SE6 and another SE5 that was mechanically great but had terrible paint.

Lovely cars let down by the ****ty Ford engine. The Essex V6 weighs a bloody huge amount. Always liked the idea of one with a lightweight V8 in it.
Can’t think of seeing one in a long time! Remember seeing them for very little in the classifieds when I was in school, they fetch any sort of money these day?

Remember seeing xjs jags and 944’s for 1k all the time in the paper autotrader.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Can’t think of seeing one in a long time! Remember seeing them for very little in the classifieds when I was in school, they fetch any sort of money these day?

Remember seeing xjs jags and 944’s for 1k all the time in the paper autotrader.
Going by this they get a fair amount asked for them but equivalent TVRs etc probably more.

This one's lovely aside from the webasto sunroof.

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Going by this they get a fair amount asked for them but equivalent TVRs etc probably more.

This one's lovely aside from the webasto sunroof.
I love all sunroofs 😂 they are a rare looking creature like, air of a jensen interceptor lite.